Cocktail suggestions for Pinot Grigio drinker

We_like_to_cruise

23 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

I'm also a Pinot Grigio fan, and I agree that many of the drinks suggested here are way too sweet for someone whose wine tastes lean toward the dry.  My go-to is the London Lemonade.  This is not nearly as sweet as a Lemon Drop -- no sugar; it literally tastes like tart lemonade.  It's no longer on the menu, but pre-pause, any bartender in Crooner's or Wheelhouse seemed to know how to make it (plus I think the recipe was still in their little black book).  And you can never go wrong with a gin (Bombay Sapphire) and tonic -- the little black dress of drinks. 

Try the Lemontini. It's usually quite tart. I also liked the Pomegranite martini but they took it off the cocktail list a while back.

• Thanks 1

I am a dry white wine drinker and I agree with suggestions to sit down at vines and taste all the whites to see where she might like to branch out. Vines will have a brut sparkling wine by the glass as well. It’s been either Chandon or Gloria Ferrer since the restart. 

As for cocktails my go to’s are from Good Spirits at Sea. They make lovely craft cocktails. On the Ruby & Majestic since the restart you can order them any time but I have read one report from another ship they were only available during the “show” at 5 and 8 pm. I think your wife should try them all and earn her GS tshirt!  Lol we enjoyed doing that. 
My favorites were the Sandia de fuego and the Gin and Tonic Ultima. 
Another favorite cocktail is a Bombay sapphire gin and fever tree light tonic with lime and mint. The Ruby had the fever tree on only one of my 4 sailings since the restart so you might want to bring a few cans on board if it’s something she likes. 
The bar in Adagio that serves Sabatini’s has a Sorento Sunset that is incredibly refreshing and light.  I love that too. 

4009B526-D00B-4850-BF63-015D47C284EA.jpeg

20D23E69-3AC0-490D-AB69-0B433434DFE5.jpeg

08F91828-4744-4F6E-AB3F-AEDE70470AC6.jpeg

C9A2FEB1-27A1-44F1-837C-B9B05950650F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This might be my favorite thread yet!!!  I love me some pg, but also all the specialty drinks.  The best thing about the drink package is being able to try all the different things, and hopefully find something you/she likes.  On my last cruise (which seems forever ago since covid cancelled a couple others), I found that the little bottles of champagne were a great choice.  Also, anything with a little fruit in it.  One of my go-tos is a titos and soda with a spash of cran or pineapple juice, or both!  I drink A LOT on cruises, and find that heavier drinks are just too much sugar for me, so sticking to something light helps that.  I love the other ideas of the moscow mules or the mojitos, which all can also be doctored up to be whatever she wants.  The assortment of different martinis is also a great choice, and fun to try.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, Thrak said:

I often drink Talisker 10 onboard so I know what you mean by your wife not liking the smell. 😁 You may suggest she try a Lemon Drop. My wife loves them but, then again, she isn't a white wine drinker... The great thing about the beverage package is your wife is free to sample whatever she feels like sampling and, if she doesn't care for it, there is no necessity that she drink the thing. She can simply try something else. Princess has a truckload of "martinis". It seems if they put it in a martini glass they call it a martini.

Thanks for the Talisker 10 recommendation.  It became my go-to before dinner drink on this cruise.  A double, neat. 

Lovely complex flavors !

On 3/4/2022 at 1:08 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Sorry if I'm not coming up with drink options, but I thought that a tour of the wine list might be somewhat helpful.  

I found this very helpful; thank you! DH and I both like Reisling, so listing so of the sweeter wines will help us as we sample since we, too, have the beverage pkg.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:32 AM, Orlando Vic said:

For something more exotic, try a pisco sour (if the bartender even has some pisco). 🍸

Ah...pisco sours. We grew quite fond on our Galapagos/Machu Picchu trip and even brought pisco home from Lima. (It's a LOT more expensive here!)

• Like 1

I agree with so much of the above advice. I'm also a fan of the Mer Soleil chardonnay, and I don't care for many chards. 

Another bit of advice: ask the bar tender. Tell them your likes and dislikes, the good ones will have suggestions. In Vines on Majestic last fall, I told Ricky that I enjoy red blends and hubby likes a cabernet sauvignon that "punches you in the face". He came back with excellent choices for both of us. I found that I much preferred the 2016 Embruix from Spain over the 2017. It's weird that I preferred the one that is more Grenache-heavy, as I'm not a big grenache fan. That's blends for you. 

Up at Good Spirits, try the Butterfly. Watching it being made is half the fun. And telling the bartender about your wine or spirit preferences will help them suggest cocktails. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Thanks for the Talisker 10 recommendation.  It became my go-to before dinner drink on this cruise.  A double, neat. 

Lovely complex flavors !

Glad you enjoyed it. I discovered Talisker 10 on a cruise and have enjoyed it many times on cruises since.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1