Anyone with experience disembarking early?

dawnvip

DH and I are looking at a Celebrity cruise this fall, leaving Southampton and sailing to Spain, Canary Islands, and Portugal. However, we don't want to go back to Southampton and would rather stay in Portugal for the remainder of our vacation.

Is it possible to disembark in Portugal and skip the last sea day back to England?

18 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

DH and I are looking at a Celebrity cruise this fall, leaving Southampton and sailing to Spain, Canary Islands, and Portugal. However, we don't want to go back to Southampton and would rather stay in Portugal for the remainder of our vacation.

Is it possible to disembark in Portugal and skip the last sea day back to England?

I have done it in the past.  You need to submit a request with the cruise line in advance. Sorry it was RCL that we were on, but I believe it is the same process.

Edited by micruiser2002
  • Like 1

You will definitely need to clear this with Celebrity prior to your sailing date.

Then once onboard go to Guest Relations and they will advise you of the protocols. 

Just as an FYI from past experiences....you will need to handle your luggage from your cabin to the pier. When you disembark you must also have your luggage as you cannot return to the ship. 

We have done this pre Covid but that’s no guarantee that it will be possible now.

You will need to contact the cruise line and submit a request for a Downline Debarkation ( I think that was the term).  When we did we worked through the Royal Caribbean Emergency Services department who handled these requests for Royal, Celebrity and at that time Azamara.  There was a $65 fee and if the request was approved you were give a document with the approval to give to Guest Services on the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

We wanted to do this on our upcoming April TA cruise.  We wished to get off in Zebrugge instead of going on to Amsterdam.  We were told that Celebrity would not do this at this time.  Hopefully in the future they may but I wouldn’t count on it.  

We have done this on an Australia/New Zealand cruise where we chose to get off in Melbourne rather than stay on the ship to Sydney. We had to plan this in advance with Celebrity and there was a fee. This was, of course, pre-Covid. 

Just "miss" the ship leaving.  I've seen plenty of videos with "runners" (people running to a leaving ship)  The cruise company's have no problem leaving without you, I don't see a difference in you leaving them.

9 hours ago, sherylc said:

We have done this on an Australia/New Zealand cruise where we chose to get off in Melbourne rather than stay on the ship to Sydney. We had to plan this in advance with Celebrity and there was a fee. This was, of course, pre-Covid. 

Completely different experience to us, we were travelling with friends from Sydney and wanted to offload some luggage in Newcastle to my friends sister. The Customs would not let us do it as they had some dispute with the Government at that time so I don’t think they would have let us get off Solstice.

I've done it a number of times.   I believe  that since you will be departing prior to your final port you will have to apply to emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com     They have to check to make sure there are not restrictions and that Customs is Available to process you.

Here's the response I got to mine - with further instructions.

Re: Pre-Downline Request

Good Day,

Please be advised that we have received your request to
embark/debark at an alternate port. After reviewing said 
request we are happy to advise that currently there are 
no regulatory restrictions that will prohibit an approval.

There is a $65 USD or CAD equivalent per booking handling 
to finalize your approval and arrangement. 
Please contact us at your earliest convenience and 
provide us with a valid credit card payment.

We can be reached 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at:  
Domestic: 1-800-256-6649 (prompt #1) or 
International: 305-539-4107.

Thank you

Warm Regards, 

Emergency Travel Team

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I think it goes without saying, If your leaving and not returning that you would bring your belongings. 🙂 

You would not be allowed off the ship with your suitcases without having received approval for a downline disembarkation.

You need to apply for a downline disembarkation and there is a fee involved for filing the paperwork. It must be approved by the country you will be entering. In the OP’s case there won’t be customs to go through but there may be other entrance formalities.  

You will settle your bill before you leave the ship and you will be moving your luggage yourself without benefit of the ship’s personnel.

There is no price reduction for the day (or days) you will miss.

These deviations have not been allowed recently, but perhaps by fall the situation will change.

Thanks for all the info and examples!

Clearing Customs is the important part. Most cruisers have a 1 day customs exemption as part of their cruise contract when arriving in a given port. 

I have the feeling that if the cruise started in an EU country, getting off in another EU country would be easier to navigate. Because England is no longer a member, Customs will be required. 

7 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Thanks for all the info and examples!

Clearing Customs is the important part. Most cruisers have a 1 day customs exemption as part of their cruise contract when arriving in a given port. 

I have the feeling that if the cruise started in an EU country, getting off in another EU country would be easier to navigate. Because England is no longer a member, Customs will be required. 

I have used it 3 times but always prior to Covid.   I'm not sure if that will throw a wrench in the cogs.   Current protocals do not permit download embarkation (if you miss the cruise).  If not available now you may try again closer to cruise date as regulations are changing rapidly.

BTW you can also call the phone number and apply for the Downline disembarkation without first sending and email.    I used it to take a side trip to the Taj Majal and had to leave the ship and rejoin it 3 days later in a different port but same country (India).

• Like 1