Hotel with parking for the week near Manathan cruise terminal

ERLEC

Looking for suggestions for a hotel near Manathan cruise terminal (Carnival Magic). To stay a day or two prior to the cruise.

I would like an hotel where I can leave the car for the whole week and just take a Uber the morning of the cruise and hop to the terminal. We would save the hassle of finding a place to park and also the high prices to park at the terminal.

Suggestions?

There are no places in Manhattan that offer park and cruise. You would need to park in NJ, and take a shuttle back and forth. IMHO, it's not worth the effort. Just stay outside the city on your way in, and park at the pier.

4 hours ago, ERLEC said:

I would like an hotel where I can leave the car for the whole week and just take a Uber the morning of the cruise and hop to the terminal. We would save the hassle of finding a place to park and also the high prices to park at the terminal.

Suggestions?

As they said, doesn't exist in Manhattan where parking outside of the pier can be as high as $60-80 a night. You might also consider taking the train or flying from Montreal-- depending on what sort of deal you got on it, it might be the same or less than driving and less hassle. 

24 minutes ago, ERLEC said:

Thanks for your suggestions. We're also looking into taking train or bus or even flying if I get a good deal. It's effectively less of a hassle.

I’d look into flying, we looked into taking Amtrak from here to Montreal, but it’s a long trip (I think there is along layover along the way).

1 hour ago, ERLEC said:

Thanks for your suggestions. We're also looking into taking train or bus or even flying if I get a good deal. It's effectively less of a hassle.

43 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d look into flying, we looked into taking Amtrak from here to Montreal, but it’s a long trip (I think there is along layover along the way).

There is, or at least was the Adirondack between NY and Montreal, which if I recall doesn't involve a layover but was subject to long delays at the border for customs and immigration checks. I believe Amtrak still has not resumed the cross border service that had been suspended during the pandemic.

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There is, or at least was the Adirondack between NY and Montreal, which if I recall doesn't involve a layover but was subject to long delays at the border for customs and immigration checks. I believe Amtrak still has not resumed the cross border service that had been suspended during the pandemic.

Exactly, it's still not in service and I think it's a 11-12h trip... It's like twice the time it takes to do it by car.

9 minutes ago, ERLEC said:

Exactly, it's still not in service and I think it's a 11-12h trip... It's like twice the time it takes to do it by car.

Yes. Many years ago when I was going to college in the Albany, NY area we went to Montreal often to visit students we knew at McGill University.  It was an easy drive and the drive from the Albany area to NYC is also quick. It's only about 6 hours total from Montréal to NYC. 

We'll most likely drive to NY. Just need to find a place to stay and park the car not too far from the port.

I think it's still the easiest and quickest thing to do.

1 hour ago, ERLEC said:

We'll most likely drive to NY. Just need to find a place to stay and park the car not too far from the port.

Then parking at the pier is your best bet - possibly the day before you board, and taxi to/from your hotel.

58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then parking at the pier is your best bet - possibly the day before you board, and taxi to/from your hotel.

Parking at the pier will not be possible the day before the cruise unless a ship happens to be in port that day.  Even if there is a ship in port you may be directed to the wrong parking lot. For example a ship in port the prior day might be using Pier 90 while the ship departing the next day will be departing from Pier 88. If you are directed to park at Pier 90, when your ship returns to Pier 88 the Pier 90 lot may not be open.

2 hours ago, ERLEC said:

Since suspect you'll be driving on the  NY State Thruway I recommend you  find a hotel in either Westchester County, NY or one in New Jersey in the Ridgefield Park area. That will leave only a short drive to the cruise pier the next morning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Since suspect you'll be driving on the  NY State Thruway I recommend you  find a hotel in either Westchester County, NY or one in New Jersey in the Ridgefield Park area. That will leave only a short drive to the cruise pier the next morning.

That was my goal. Several said to look for a hotel in Ridgefield park area. Some hotel accept to leave the car there while on the cruise. That saves some hassle and money. You just take a Uber the morning on the cruise. Also checking North Bergen area in NJ. Sounds like a great option too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ERLEC said:

That was my goal. Several said to look for a hotel in Ridgefield park area. Some hotel accept to leave the car there while on the cruise. That saves some hassle and money. You just take a Uber the morning on the cruise. Also checking North Bergen area in NJ. Sounds like a great option too. 

We are exploring the same options. There are plenty of hotels within short driving distance to the pier. We are on Magic July 2022

How much money are you saving having to take an Uber back and forth? (How much is your time worth) By parking at the pier, as soon as the cruise is over, you get in the car and hit the road. Instead, you now need to wait for an Uber, take the 30 minute drive to where you parked, then get going, possibly doubling back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

How much money are you saving having to take an Uber back and forth? (How much is your time worth) By parking at the pier, as soon as the cruise is over, you get in the car and hit the road. Instead, you now need to wait for an Uber, take the 30 minute drive to where you parked, then get going, possibly doubling back.

You actually will save a meaningful amount of money, but you are right that you lose the convenience of getting right in your car after your cruise and immediately heading out for home.

Currently, Uber between Ridgefield Park NJ and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal will run in the $45 to $55 range, so let's say $100 or so round trip. Seven days parking at the cruise terminal is $280, cash toll for the George Washington Bridge is $16 and something for gas...let's say $4 .  A total of $300 for 7 days...more if your cruise is longer than 7 days...so $200 more than free parking at the hotel and using Uber.

There's no doubling back in the process for the OP, who will be returning to Montreal from the hotel in NJ.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:09 PM, njhorseman said:

You actually will save a meaningful amount of money, but you are right that you lose the convenience of getting right in your car after your cruise and immediately heading out for home.

Currently, Uber between Ridgefield Park NJ and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal will run in the $45 to $55 range, so let's say $100 or so round trip. Seven days parking at the cruise terminal is $280, cash toll for the George Washington Bridge is $16 and something for gas...let's say $4 .  A total of $300 for 7 days...more if your cruise is longer than 7 days...so $200 more than free parking at the hotel and using Uber.

There's no doubling back in the process for the OP, who will be returning to Montreal from the hotel in NJ.

In fact, parking at the hotel in NJ isn't free. It's a stay, park, cruise package for staying 1-2 nights prior to the cruise. The price is well above a regular room without a package. It runs around probably 100$ more per night. So it's like paying something like 15$/day to park. So if you sum up everything the total saving isn't too meaningful overall. I'm averaging maybe 100-150$ saving overall, if you don't count all the time wasted comparge to parking at the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed a few times at Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield - they had a stay and cruise rate which included an overnight the night before the cruise, parking for the week (and once we went 10 days, no extra fee), plus limo transport both ways.  Pretty reasonable (250-300?), but it's been a few years. Might be worth a call.  Easy to get to, right off the highway, quick work getting to the pier in the morning. On the return trip you call the number on the limo business card they give you and the driver tells you where he is on the street.  They drop you right at your car and you're on the GWB in minutes.

It's located in an industrial park so it's not really a neighborhood to explore/dine once you're there. There is a movie theatre up the road. I'd pick up dinner on the way in depending when you arrive. They had a surprisingly good free breakfast - an actual hot breakfast!

3 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

We've stayed a few times at Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield - they had a stay and cruise rate which included an overnight the night before the cruise, parking for the week (and once we went 10 days, no extra fee), plus limo transport both ways.  Pretty reasonable (250-300?), but it's been a few years. Might be worth a call.  Easy to get to, right off the highway, quick work getting to the pier in the morning. On the return trip you call the number on the limo business card they give you and the driver tells you where he is on the street.  They drop you right at your car and you're on the GWB in minutes.

It's located in an industrial park so it's not really a neighborhood to explore/dine once you're there. There is a movie theatre up the road. I'd pick up dinner on the way in depending when you arrive. They had a surprisingly good free breakfast - an actual hot breakfast!

It's been reported by several people that the package including parking and transportation to and from the pier is no longer available.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 8:47 PM, njhorseman said:

It's been reported by several people that the package including parking and transportation to and from the pier is no longer available.

We just reserved the Park and cruise at the Hilton Ridgefield Park for July 25th, 2022 (for 1 night pre cruise and 8 days of parking) We got a rate of 185$ plus tax (3 adults).

The Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park also offers the park and cruise package ( more $$).

1 hour ago, realtrip said:

We just reserved the Park and cruise at the Hilton Ridgefield Park for July 25th, 2022 (for 1 night pre cruise and 8 days of parking) We got a rate of 185$ plus tax (3 adults).

The Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park also offers the park and cruise package ( more $$).

Right...but does your package also include transportation to and from the cruise terminal? That was what had been reported as being no longer offered.