Chasing the Northern Lights - Should Majority Rule?

anaco_angler

There is a discussion on another medium of a kerfuffle which occurred on a Viking Venus Chasing the Northern Lights shore excursion in Tromsø. It was a small group (van) shore excursion organized by Viking and was scheduled to run from 7:15 pm until 1:15 am. The bottom line was that after stopping to view the aurora soon after leaving Tromsø, enjoying warm drinks and soup around a fire pit, and having roughly two hours for photographs, all except one of the participants returned to the bus and after discussion and a vote, the group decided to ask the guide and driver to end the tour and return to the ship. One participant, and presumably her husband who was already on the bus, did not agree and registered their dissatisfaction with the Shore Excursions staff after returning to the ship. The shore excursion was expensive, more than $700 for a couple, and with no private tours allowed, it was the only way for passengers to get out of town and have a chance to see the Northern Lights without the interference of city lights.

The question I have is: should majority rule? I am guessing there was no one from Viking staff on the shore excursion and the guide and driver were in a difficult spot, give in to the majority or stick with the agreed upon time. It seems to me that any decision to curtail should be unanimous, or at the very least should have been made in consultation with the guide based on his experience and expectation for further displays. People signed up for a five hour tour, knowing in advance that time would be spent outdoors but that they could also return to the van to get warm. When you book a shore excursion, what expectations do you have as far as time and comfort? If you're taking a cruise with the express purpose of seeing the Northern Lights, I would think you would want to soak up as much as you can and not pull the plug with an "I got my photos" attitude. The tour returned to the ship at 10:30 and ironically, the Northern Lights were viewable twice from the ship during the evening.

I read there were two versions of the events last night - often is!

But I think there is no right answer if you are talking about a whole bus tour it would be tricky to aim for unanimous but if you are talking about a minivan unanimous

Edited by uktog

Back in 2019 on our “chase” in Tromso, my wife and I deliberately stayed outside to prevent this arising, we’re rewarded a little later with a decent sighting

1898B94E-ED58-45CE-8E65-08C884545A36.jpeg

Edited by Haworth
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, uktog said:

I read there were two versions of the events last night - often is!

But I think there is no right answer if you are talking about a whole bus tour it would be tricky to aim for unanimous but if you are talking about a minivan unanimous

What was the 2nd version?

and to answer the OP, unless there is a medical emergency the excursion should proceed as advertised.  I worry that the more forceful folks would intimidate others to make a decision “unanimous”.  

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, anaco_angler said:

There is a discussion on another medium of a kerfuffle which occurred on a Viking Venus Chasing the Northern Lights shore excursion in Tromsø. It was a small group (van) shore excursion organized by Viking and was scheduled to run from 7:15 pm until 1:15 am. The bottom line was that after stopping to view the aurora soon after leaving Tromsø, enjoying warm drinks and soup around a fire pit, and having roughly two hours for photographs, all except one of the participants returned to the bus and after discussion and a vote, the group decided to ask the guide and driver to end the tour and return to the ship. One participant, and presumably her husband who was already on the bus, did not agree and registered their dissatisfaction with the Shore Excursions staff after returning to the ship. The shore excursion was expensive, more than $700 for a couple, and with no private tours allowed, it was the only way for passengers to get out of town and have a chance to see the Northern Lights without the interference of city lights.

The question I have is: should majority rule? I am guessing there was no one from Viking staff on the shore excursion and the guide and driver were in a difficult spot, give in to the majority or stick with the agreed upon time. It seems to me that any decision to curtail should be unanimous, or at the very least should have been made in consultation with the guide based on his experience and expectation for further displays. People signed up for a five hour tour, knowing in advance that time would be spent outdoors but that they could also return to the van to get warm. When you book a shore excursion, what expectations do you have as far as time and comfort? If you're taking a cruise with the express purpose of seeing the Northern Lights, I would think you would want to soak up as much as you can and not pull the plug with an "I got my photos" attitude. The tour returned to the ship at 10:30 and ironically, the Northern Lights were viewable twice from the ship during the evening.

If the pax booked a Shore-ex the reasonable expectation is that all pax are aware of the tour length, itinerary and any hardships that can be expected. Expecting cold, everyone should be dressed accordingly. When I sign up for a tour returning to the ship at 01:15, I expect to return reasonably close, not at 22:30.

With the exception of a medical condition, or other emergency situation, I expect the tour to follow the schedule, unless all pax vote to cut it short.

• Like 11

uktog, you are correct. Obviously there was some inter-personal conflict but the bottom line is that the shorex was curtailed without all agreeing to that decision. It's a good reminder to read the tour description carefully and decide honestly whether you can tolerate the weather and other conditions. And it's logical to assume with something such as the Northern Lights that there will be photographers of varying skill and with varying levels of equipment who will have different expectations. We all need to get along.

• Like 1

We were on that same excursion on our Jan 24th NL sailing.  It was very cold and clouds started rolling in toward the end but no one requested or expected that the tour would end early.  Unless there was a blizzard and NO CHANCE of seeing more NLs, it seems bad form to leave early especially if some preferred to stay the duration. 

• Like 5

Wow.  I’m voting for ‘medical emergency’ as the only reason for this to happen.  We did this cruise in Feb 2019 but unfortunately didn’t see the Northern Lights.     If I was on this excursion, I would have had a real problem ending early… hours early!  Hard to believe.

• Like 7

I also agree, it should only be for a medical reason or a storm etc.  We were on the infamous March 2019 cruise and did get to see the Northern Lights.  On one of the excursions, the lights did not become visible until the last half hour of the excursion when the clouds cleared for a short time.  I know if I travelled all that distance to see the lights, I would want avail myself of any opportunity to do so.  We learned on several occasions that as quick as clouds rolled in, there were breaks in the clouds that afforded us with the opportunity to see the lights.  JohnEB

• Like 5

May the Lord preserve me from the photo opportunity contingent. 

Nothing else interesting about astronomy, obviously. Won't be taking camera, will be taking our 'little telescope thing' and binoculars

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If the pax booked a Shore-ex the reasonable expectation is that all pax are aware of the tour length, itinerary and any hardships that can be expected. Expecting cold, everyone should be dressed accordingly. When I sign up for a tour returning to the ship at 01:15, I expect to return reasonably close, not at 22:30.

With the exception of a medical condition, or other emergency situation, I expect the tour to follow the schedule, unless all pax vote to cut it short.

We were on a NL excursion in Alta from 9:00 pm to 1:00 am. We saw lights off and on during the time allowed. It was bitterly cold, but we were so glad that we were able to stay the entire excursion time because the sky literally exploded with light around 12:15 am. I would have been so sad to miss that. Yes, we were cold but we knew it would be cold and prepared in advance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geosez said:

I do believe the name of this itinerary is “In Search of the Northern Lights”.

(Sorry.  Just been bugging me.  Maybe another cruise line chases them.)

Geosez, you're correct about the itinerary but the shore excursion which Viking offers in Tromsø is called Chasing the Northern Lights. Literary license, I guess. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, johneb2 said:

We were on the infamous March 2019 cruise and did get to see the Northern Lights. 

Same trip here. I seem to recall that on our evening (ship-offered) excursion to the chosen view / camp site - there was a general consensus from everyone to head back to the ship about a half-hour or so earlier, so that's what we did. I also seem to recall the guide asking if everyone was in agreement and don't recall anyone indicating otherwise. I can see where there could be an 'issue' if some want to stay and others want to return to the ship. The excursion time/length should be  honored unless all are ok with cutting it short. 

This is sort of relevant.  I once did a photography trip to Alaska in February for the express purpose of doing aurora photography.  On several of the nights I went with a group to a viewing site on a mountain top close to where I was staying.  I was never so cold in my life.  Even the chemical hand warmers which I had in my gloves, in my jacket pocket and in my boots did not keep me warm.  I did duck into the shed a couple of times so I could warm up a bit but I went outside almost immediately.  

It was one of the most glorious photo experiences I have ever had and I would have been extremely unhappy if others in the group suggested that they had enough and wanted to return to their rooms.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

I would be furious if I’d paid for ANY excursion,  only to have it cut short by whiners who just wanted to get their photo and head back to the ship. 

I just did a very strenuous walk on the wall in Dubrovnik yesterday; would I have wanted it cut short because it was difficult for me? 

Absolutely not. I was scared to death of the heights sometimes, but it wasn’t my place, nor of any other guests, to cut the excursion short. I hung in there, did the entire walk, and had a great day. 

Other than for an emergency, guests don’t get to vote on when to end an excursion for all. 

i would have been livid. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1