Canada new guidelines out

habari

Today Canada announced their guidelines for cruising.  As I suspected having a negative Covid test is required.  Now I am trying to figure out how to get one in Vancouver.  Seeing very high prices for them.  I can get one in Florida for free to fly to Vancouver but will need to test again before getting in the ship as I have two days in Vancouver before the cruise.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, habari said:

Today Canada announced their guidelines for cruising.  As I suspected having a negative Covid test is required.  Now I am trying to figure out how to get one in Vancouver.  Seeing very high prices for them.  I can get one in Florida for free to fly to Vancouver but will need to test again before getting in the ship as I have two days in Vancouver before the cruise.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

What do you consider very high. Testing is available at YVR from $79.

7 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Forget Canada , go out of Seattle.

That is likely even a bigger challenge as all cruise ships departing from the US have to stop at a foreign port at some point on the journey.  So they will have to stop in Canada but test everyone on board.  I don't think we'll see a waiver of the Passenger Vessel Services Act this year.

1 minute ago, habari said:

Too complicated.  My sister is coming from Toronto and I am Canadian but will be in Florida at time of cruise.  Thanks anyway.

I just checked online Shoppers Drug Mart (Ontario) and most stores were sold out in my area.  Did you try your area in BC?  The cost was $60 plus tax....it did say 'kit', so maybe more than one in a box?  I've never had a test so I don't know how that works.

I thought Canadians could just do a video proctored/observed antigen test within 24 hours for USA entry nowadays?  You're making me hope that I haven't misinterpreted my testing needs for our March 20th cruise.  We ordered observed rapid antigen tests from Switch Health and they're only $35 plus tax each so hardly an expense to consider flying out of Seattle for...

Edited by chrispee

41 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Forget Canada , go out of Seattle. Antigen tests required 1 day before boarding. Another test to return to US. Bypass them , let them sulk with all their restrictions.

How is this different than US? Seems pretty similar. 

• Like 3

So back to the topic...and knowing this is an ever evolving situation...if I embark the cruise ship in Seattle and Victoria is a port stop, do I need to be tested on board before I disembark in Victoria, and Vancouver before I fly back to the US?  So confused by all of this.

Edited by misha1

7 hours ago, RTShaker said:

What do you consider very high. Testing is available at YVR from $79.

80 Loonies; which is ~ 60 greenbacks 😉. Overall, pretty reasonable in the grand scheme.

We booked our appointments at the CVM Travel Clinic at YVR.  Easy Peasy!

Edited by hvbaskey

From one of the hotels in Vancouver - check with the actual clinic for pricing.  For example, this list shows CVM @ YVR at $125, but I booked it at $79 and it is open to everyone, not just ticketed passengers.  We're testing after arriving.

COVID TESTING FACILITIES

FAST-TEST                                                                                                                                                                    Located at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, FastTest provides PCR tests with 24 hour ($250) and 12 hour ($350) turnaround and Rapid Antigen Tests with results in 15 minute ($125) Appointments are necessary for Rapid Antigen tests and for PCR tests Mon –Fri: 6:15am – 10pm Sat/Sun: 8:30am – 4:45pm (Rapid antigen only)  www.fast-test.ca Ph: 1-833-472-7669

ACE TRAVEL CLINIC 

Offers PCR test ($280) and Rapid Antigen Tests ($145) 777 Hornby St, suite 810. Mon-Fri 8am – 10:45am

Appointments are required Robson Square at 777 Hornby St.   www.acetravelclinic.com

AMANI TRAVEL HEALTH CLINIC                                                                                                                                 Located at 970 Burrard Street, Suite 102 (Electra Building).  Amani provides PCR tests with results in 24-48 hours. PCR test for travel ($199) Rapid Antigen Tests ($129) PCR Mobile testing ($399) Appointments are necessary. Mon –Fri: 8am-5pm Sat/Sun: 9am- 2pm www.amanitravelclinic.ca  Ph: 672-514-3773

GO RAPID TEST 

No appointment required, 750 Pacific Blvd., must have a car to drive through, no bike or foot traffic accepted. PH: 1 (604) 966-3777 promo code for a 15% discount TESTME15 

PCR tests: 24 hour results ($240) 12 hour results ($350) and Rapid Antigen Tests ($130)

Sun-Thur: 8am – 4pm, Fri/Sat: 8am – 6pm. Pay online ahead of time and drive through.

https://www.gorapidtest.ca/collections/vancouver

CVM MEDICAL PRE-DEPARTURE TESTING INSIDE YVR                                                                          CVM Medical will provide Rapid Antigen Tests for ticketed passengers departing for the United States, the Netherlands, Germany and other countries accepting the test. Passengers should check-in before proceeding to the testing site. The testing clinic is located in the International Terminal Building, Level 3, US Departures, at the east end of the terminal. They operate from 5am -  7:30 pm daily.  Cost is $129 and appointments can be made, or you can walk in  https://covid-medical.ca/ 

BON VOYAGE MEDICAL 

Located at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, Offering Fast PCR test ($595 – results in 20mins)  next day PCR test ($209 – accepted for Hawaii), Rapid Antigen Tests ($119), Mon-Fri 7am – 6pm, Sat/Sun 7am – 2pm. Appointments are required https://bonvoyage.janeapp.com/locations/bon-voyage-medical-fairmont-vancouver-airport/book#/staff_member/4/treatment/75

LOYAL MEDICAL CLINIC

Offers PCR test ($225) Mon-Fri 10am – 5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, closed Sun, Ph: 604-428-8313, no rapid antigen tests.

They can help with walk-ins before 3pm 1055 West Georgia St.   www.loyalmedicalclinic.com      

CVM MEDICAL PCR & RAPID ANTIGEN TESTING  

Executive Hotel, Vancouver Airport- 8th floor, 7311 Westminster Highway

8:15am – 5:30pm daily. 24 hour turnaround ($249)12 hour Stat turnaround ($900) *must be booked before 12:30pm. Rapid antigen ($129)   https://covid-medical.ca/ 

CITY CENTRE URGENT PRIMARY CARE CENTRE 

Seymour Medical clinic, located in the City Centre Urgent Primary Care building downtown at 1290 Hornby Street. Offers PCR tests (no rapid antigen tests). They recommend pre-booking by calling 604-416-1811 - press 3 for Covid Travel clinic. Walk-ins taken. Mon-Sat: 8am-10pm Sun: 9am – 5pm www.citycentreupcc.ca

24/7 MOBILE TESTING

www.247testing.ca to request a quote for PCR Mobile testing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

Forget Canada , go out of Seattle. Antigen tests required 1 day before boarding. Another test to return to US. Bypass them , let them sulk with all their restrictions.

Actually, most of us are not sulking.   90% of our population is fully vaxxed and it's because of our compliance that cruising is resuming from CDN ports of call.  Why should Canada back off with no restrictions for those outside the country when we are "just" relaxing our own within the individual provinces?  Due diligence.

Testing 1 day prior to embarkation is no biggie.   My Alaskan cruise, I had to test 2 days prior to embarkation because of the cruise line policy.  So?  I shifted my appointment by one-day.  Big whoopee! 

I sense a wee over reaction on the Guidance which is just common sense and is in line (more or less) with current cruise line policies and flight restrictions.  

Holland America Line released a statement within 4 hours of the Guidance stating it will comply and look forward to the 2022 Cruise Season.  I suspect other lines will follow suit.

Smooth Sailing everyone!  looking forward to the Alaska Cruise Season out of beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Actually, most of us are not sulking.  

My crazy SIL is sulking but she also sulked when The Trouble with Tracy was cancelled.  😉

BTW, For our American friends The Trouble with Tracy was a really, really bad Canadian TV sitcom, think Hope and Faith but 10 times worse!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Actually, most of us are not sulking.   90% of our population is fully vaxxed and it's because of our compliance that cruising is resuming from CDN ports of call.  Why should Canada back off with no restrictions for those outside the country when we are "just" relaxing our own within the individual provinces?  Due diligence.

Testing 1 day prior to embarkation is no biggie.   My Alaskan cruise, I had to test 2 days prior to embarkation because of the cruise line policy.  So?  I shifted my appointment by one-day.  Big whoopee! 

I sense a wee over reaction on the Guidance which is just common sense and is in line (more or less) with current cruise line policies and flight restrictions.  

Holland America Line released a statement within 4 hours of the Guidance stating it will comply and look forward to the 2022 Cruise Season.  I suspect other lines will follow suit.

Smooth Sailing everyone!  looking forward to the Alaska Cruise Season out of beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia.

And, for the record, some of us foreign travelers - even we Americans - are just happy to be able to visit lovely Canada again, and are more than willing to follow another sovereign nation's quite reasonable guidelines that it has put in place in an effort to protect its citizens. We'll see ya in May in Victoria. 👍

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

What about the Alaska Cruise Season into Vancouver? That itinerary is far more problematic when sailing from Seward with the 72 hour PCR or 24 hour rapid antigen test required by Canada prior to disembarking!

Celebrity will need to up their wifi speed so pax can self-administer the witnessed rapid antigen test while at sea. Or Celebrity will have to have a nurse or approved administrator on board. 

Edited by TMLAalum

9 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

What about the Alaska Cruise Season into Vancouver? That itinerary is far more problematic when sailing from Seward with the 72 hour PCR or 24 hour rapid antigen test required by Canada prior to disembarking!

Celebrity will need to up their wifi speed so pax can self-administer the witnessed rapid antigen test while at sea. Or Celebrity will have to have a nurse or approved administrator on board. 

Celebrity will decide to either not sail one way cruises to Vancouver or figure a way to test everyone on board.  They will not require passengers to get a test and do it there self.   The least disruptive way for them to cruise would be test passengers.  Changing the itinerary would involve alot of cancelled flights and more work for them.  When cruises first started there were some itineraries that passengers needed to be tested prior to getting off and they were able to do it.  Yes it is another expense for them but I'm sure they have anticipated this for months.  I'm sure they get a really good price on the test.  We are scheduled on a BTB on 5/20 from Seward.  

• Like 2

Prices in Ontario for rapid antigen test are 30 Canadian dollars.  I am shocked that Vancouver charges so much but I guess because the port is there they can charge these high amounts.  

44 minutes ago, Empress217 said:

Celebrity will decide to either not sail one way cruises to Vancouver or figure a way to test everyone on board.

Logistically speaking, if there are no one way cruises TO Vancouver, then there will also be no one way cruises FROM Vancouver. Celebrity's going to have to play ball and cruise prices will suffer.

40 minutes ago, habari said:

Prices in Ontario for rapid antigen test are 30 Canadian dollars.  I am shocked that Vancouver charges so much but I guess because the port is there they can charge these high amounts.  

I checked with Shoppers in Ontario and they were charging $60 plus tax for a 'kit'...where are you finding $30?  I have the 'box' that Ontario was giving freely in drug stores and supermarkets...not used yet...wondering if they are the same as the required ones for travel??

Out of curiosity do the tests in Canada need to be proctored or can you use a home test kit? In the US Costco sells a set of 5 for $35...not proctored...  Perhaps someone can buy and ship to you...if home tests are acceptable

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

They already have nurses and testing facilities on board because they are testing the crew, each and everyone of them, every seven daysThey already have nurses and testing facilities on board because they are testing the crew, each and everyone of them, every seven days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

They already have nurses and testing facilities on board because they are testing the crew, each and everyone of them, every seven daysThey already have nurses and testing facilities on board because they are testing the crew, each and everyone of them, every seven days

Let me add to this the fact that the regulations announced yesterday specify that the cruise ship must provide testing for the passengers, so there is no need for proctored self-testing:

• Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • The cruise line must report symptomatic or positive passengers and/or crew to Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the port, and the local/provincial public health unit.
    • Provide testing facilities and tests for passengers to take either a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before disembarking a cruise ship or an antigen test no more than one day before the scheduled arrival.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Let me add to this the fact that the regulations announced yesterday specify that the cruise ship must provide testing for the passengers, so there is no need for proctored self-testing:

• Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • The cruise line must report symptomatic or positive passengers and/or crew to Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the port, and the local/provincial public health unit.
    • Provide testing facilities and tests for passengers to take either a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before disembarking a cruise ship or an antigen test no more than one day before the scheduled arrival.

The title is "Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada"...wouldn't that just apply to anyone arriving at a Canadian port?  or do you think that covers cruises arriving at any US port then a same day flight to Canada?