wifi hotspot

33 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Is it possible to use a cellphone, laptop, or travel router as a wifi hotspot to share a login?

No, but you can log off one device and log in another device on the same account.

If you all need access at the same time, buy a multi-device package.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Is it possible to use a cellphone, laptop, or travel router as a wifi hotspot to share a login?

Technically possible with some devices - officially the VOOM rules don’t allow it. 

Some people have also purchased and used travel routers.

But either way, the devices have to be in close proximity.  You cannot set up a wifi hotspot (phone or router) in your room and use it at the pool.

We've brought a travel router before, but the amount of metal on the ship made it pretty hard to use beyond very close proximity of the cabin. (Last time we used it, we were in the 'Ben and Jerry's Sweet' over the promenade on Freedom, and we could use it on the promenade if we were close to our room. It meant we could use all our devices in the room, and one each outside it.)

And I was never quite sure, but it felt like the travel router and the ship's wi-fi interfered with each other. If we do it again, I'll try to use some tools to figure that out.

10 hours ago, ericosmith said:

not technically using the voom BUT we used husband's cellphone as a Hotspot once we were at port.  Im sure you probably already knew that as an option.  Out st sea is a different story.

15 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Yes.

I do it all the time. Only caveat is you need to be by the device being used as hotspot in order to get access.

Very easy to do. Works on  IOS and Android.  Used on Freedom and Anthem. Voom surf and stream 1 user 1 device option.

Just got off Liberty of the Seas this week, and my Samsung S20 as a hotspot worked flawlessly (it's named the same as our home Wifi, so my wife's and daughter's devices connected automatically. 

Didn't see any extra device charges on our statement, so I'm guessing Voom didn't notice.

Thanks for the info.  I most often would share my laptop connection in the cabin as I have an external adapter with it's own antennas to get a better signal.  That way whenever one of us is in the cabin we're just automatically connected using the same ssid as home.  Cellphone, table, kindle without messing around with logins.  

19 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Yes.

I do it all the time. Only caveat is you need to be by the device being used as hotspot in order to get access.

Very easy to do. Works on  IOS and Android.  Used on Freedom and Anthem. Voom surf and stream 1 user 1 device option.

iPhone will NOT hotspot a wifi connection.  It requires the phone to use a cellular data connection, then wifi to the other devices.

VERY few phones will hotspot a wifi connection.