CDC adjusts warnings

deliver42

40 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Cruise lines like Celebrity have not seen any significant increase in cases since they lifted the mask requirements on board.  

<sarc>

One wonders how to explain that...

With a far more transmissible variant going around, are you allowed to make that comparison in public?  What could this possibly mean ?!? 😉

</sarc>

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

Mine, even my 'preferred one', has never been my friend.  I do understand that some folks have grown rather attached to them, though.  In one area of our county, you still see people wearing them while riding bicycles (?!?).  I find wearing my mask is about as much fun as wearing an eye patch after eye surgery, only the mask thing has gone on for far longer, and I didn't have to wash the eye patch every day!

Didn't realize Berks was requiring masks for retail environments.  I believe that they're even optional now in county buildings.  Bummer. 

well perhaps friend was over reach.  No in my area most folks are allowed to NOT wear a mask, but I would say 25% still do.  I mean yet another variant is coming our way.  Shhhhhh do not tell the CDC.

I usually run out twice a week and so I do not mind the mask.  I feel slightly empty without it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, RichYak said:

I distinctly remember the moment my wife and I reached that comfort level to be able to cruise again. You will get there too, I hope sooner rather than later. Cheers!

I totally understand, as this was my plan at school too, not to mention our gym and other venues not related to cruising.  My concern is getting on the ship in Europe, hoping that my PCR test in Rome comes back negative within 48 hours so I can board at Civi for a b2b.  

9 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well perhaps friend was over reach.  No in my area most folks are allowed to NOT wear a mask, but I would say 25% still do.  I mean yet another variant is coming our way.  Shhhhhh do not tell the CDC.

I usually run out twice a week and so I do not mind the mask.  I feel slightly empty without it. 

It works wonders in the cold wind and heavy pollen too, but mot of the time it was/is an inconvenience and nothing more for me.  However, I believe people should do what is best for them.  I try not to worry a lot about others and just move forward with my glass half full.

Edited by Lastdance

38 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

It works wonders in the cold wind and heavy pollen too, but mot of the time it was/is an inconvenience and nothing more for me.  However, I believe people should do what is best for them.  I try not to worry a lot about others and just move forward with my glass half full.

I have found them helpful for pollen and allergens as well. We had to euthanize our dog on Saturday, and the room definitely had cat dander. I'm super allergic to cats. I was glad I had a mask with me. I wore it until it was time for the injections, and took it off so the dog could see my face as her struggle ended. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canderson said:

<sarc>

One wonders how to explain that...

With a far more transmissible variant going around, are you allowed to make that comparison in public?  What could this possibly mean ?!? 😉

</sarc>

No relationship to life on land whatever.  There are too many different factors for anyone here to do a proper analysis and claim a shift to endemic or seasonal resurgence. Even the general announcements from credible authorities are just that, general, they do not specifically speak to particular circumstances.  And....it's not as though only the actual scientific data is driving any changes. There are also many political, economic, and business factors that drive changes (the wisdom of which is also debatable). And I am not a nervous Nelly by any measure.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

No relationship to life on land whatever.  There are too many different factors for anyone here to do a proper analysis and claim a shift to endemic or seasonal resurgence. Even the general announcements from credible authorities are just that, general, they do not specifically speak to particular circumstances.  And....it's not as though only the actual scientific data is driving any changes. There are also many political, economic, and business factors that drive changes (the wisdom of which is also debatable). And I am not a nervous Nelly by any measure.

And I am not a nervous Nelly by any measure.  Us either, just time to take precautions, I suppose as whatever those mean for some, but I am back to living, normally.

1)

No relationship to life on land whatever.  There are too many different factors for anyone here to do a proper analysis and claim a shift to endemic or seasonal resurgence.

2)

Even the general announcements from credible authorities are just that, general, they do not specifically speak to particular circumstances.  And....it's not as though only the actual scientific data is driving any changes. There are also many political, economic, and business factors that drive changes (the wisdom of which is also debatable). And I am not a nervous Nelly by any measure.

1) Where did I draw any such comparison?  We're talking cruise ship protocols here, I think. 

2) I'd agree entirely, although not in a way you would probably prefer, and would also agree that not just coming out of some of these protocols was subject to all of those factors, but going into some of them was as well.

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We all want to be past the pandemic. The virus is not gone.  There are fewer people getting sick due to the vaccine. The masks help stop the spread.  While I don’t like wearing masks, I continue to wear them in most places.  It protects me and the people close to me.  In places where wearing masks has been lifted, there has been increasing new cases.  Sadly, the pandemic isn’t passed.  Doing whatever needed to keep everyone safe is being responsible.  Have a safe cruise.

Ahhh.... but for those up to date on vaccinations, the virus IS effectively gone. A cold at worst? Bring it on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, D C said:

Ahhh.... but for those up to date on vaccinations, the virus IS effectively gone. A cold at worst? Bring it on. 

Fully vaccinated and boosted. Break through infection , Terribly debilitatingly sick for 6 weeks,, and still have lingering problems. Your comment is just plain wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fully vaccinated and boosted. Break through infection , Terribly debilitatingly sick for 6 weeks,, and still have lingering problems. Your comment is just plain wrong. 

And your experience is an 'outlier'.  I'm sorry you went through it, but it's a fairly exceptional case relative to the norm.  Honestly, you don't seem to be able to catch a break.  ☹️

Weren't you also the one with the neighbor that said they had a 2 year old die of COVID after a trip to the zoo?   That's an almost unheard of event for someone that young.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

And your experience is an 'outlier'.  I'm sorry you went through it, but it's a fairly exceptional case relative to the norm.  Honestly, you don't seem to be able to catch a break.  ☹️

Weren't you also the one with the neighbor that said they had a 2 year old die of COVID after a trip to the zoo?   That's an almost unheard of event for someone that young.

yes, and it is not as rare as you seem to think. But... most people go through life blissfully thinking that these things will happen to other people, until it doesn't happen to other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

yes, and it is not as rare as you seem to think. But... most people go through life blissfully thinking that these things will happen to other people, until it doesn't happen to other people.

Sadly, 975,000 Americans have died from Covid* and it's affected their friends, relatives, coworkers, and neighbors. 

*  https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

Long Covid sucks.  My daughter still has adverse affects linked to Covid she got in 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Perhaps your thoughts have been driven by your neighbor's experience?

Even counting all of those with serious comorbidity, the CDC puts the US total at 355 for the 0-4 age group.  That's pretty rare.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-on-Ages-0-18-Yea/nr4s-juj3?msclkid=6308cc93ac3a11ec9a5cb058338d53ce

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Sadly, 975,000 Americans have died from Covid* and it's affected their friends, relatives, coworkers, and neighbors. 

*  https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

Long Covid sucks.  My daughter still has adverse affects linked to Covid she got in 2020. 

Yes that total US accumulated number is very sad and the world number is too.   And Long Covid is not a good thing.  But we are talking here about what to do going forward at this point.  Now there are vaccines, boosters, anti-viral drugs, testing, and a lot of accumulated knowledge. Hospitals are fully prepared and know how to handle the virus and its surges.  In the early days we had none of those things.  Not even proper masks.  A lot has changed since the first cruises were cancelled.  We should remember and learn from the past but we really need to move forward albeit cautiously with all of the tools and knowledge at hand.  Many of us are going to do that now.  

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

It is very interesting.  Where I live in PA about 1 in 5 wild, white tail deer test positive for COVID virus.  And we are over-run with deer!

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/03/09/1084440012/researcher-finds-stunning-rate-of-covid-among-deer-heres-what-it-means-for-human#:~:text=Here's what it means for humans,-Listen· 3%3A57&text=Between October and December of,tested positive for the coronavirus.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I don't understand the point you are making with this at all. If its to be humorous, I'm sorry I don't get it.

Just now, Guppy99 said:

I don't understand the point you are making with this at all. If its to be humorous, I'm sorry I don't get it.

Sorry it was mentioned that you knew somebody who got COVID from visiting a zoo.  I was actually agreeing with your comment and showing how it is carried in animals in the US.  Not trying to be humorous.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Sorry it was mentioned that you knew somebody who got COVID from visiting a zoo.  I was actually agreeing with your comment and showing how it is carried in animals in the US.  Not trying to be humorous.   

It’s also possible to transmit from humans to our pets. https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/covid-19/pets.html 

but the windscreen is much bigger than the rear view mirror. 

Edited by sunlover33

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

oh I see. I didn't put the two together when I was reading through. No idea whether an animal was involved or not. I know every time my cats sneeze I think more of it now than ordinary.

11 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

oh I see. I didn't put the two together when I was reading through. No idea whether an animal was involved or not. I know every time my cats sneeze I think more of it now than ordinary.

OK I guess I jumped to that conclusion.  Sorry!  The poor kid probably just got infected from another person during or around the zoo visit.  But I do find it very interesting anyway as an aside that there is so much circulating COVID virus in the US in both domestic and wild animals.  It seems to be a coronavirus that somewhat easily crosses the species barrier.  

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

OK I guess I jumped to that conclusion.  Sorry!  The poor kid probably just got infected from another person during or around the zoo visit.  But I do find it very interesting anyway as an aside that there is so much circulating COVID virus in the US in both domestic and wild animals.  It seems to be a coronavirus that somewhat easily crosses the species barrier.  

I think that is very unsettling. Did you ever read The Stand?

On 3/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, MamaFej said:

I have found them helpful for pollen and allergens as well. We had to euthanize our dog on Saturday, and the room definitely had cat dander. I'm super allergic to cats. I was glad I had a mask with me. I wore it until it was time for the injections, and took it off so the dog could see my face as her struggle ended. 

So sorry for your loss.

Laura

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, TeeRick said:

Yesterday, a number of US airlines' CEO's have called for the lifting of mask mandates.  The TSA mandate was recently extended for 1 month until April 18th while the CDC studies the matter.  I'm sure this will be a controversial issue here and everywhere.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-airline-ceos-urge-biden-lift-covid-mask-mandate-letter-2022-03-23/

Meanwhile here in Massachusetts our cases have started ticking back up again including in our schools. Hospitalization numbers have not increased yet as they always lag a few weeks behind increased case numbers. While I would hope this is just a momentary minor bump, based on what has been happening over in the UK and in some other countries with the new variant spreading this is likely our climb back into another surge. So many people got infected in the last surge though hopefully this one won't be as big but you never know with this virus. Pulling mask mandates on planes at this time wouldn't be prudent.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/03/25/massachusetts-reports-1109-new-covid-cases-9-additional-deaths-march-25/

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2022/03/covid-cases-on-rise-in-massachusetts-schools-for-second-week-in-a-row-after-falling-for-weeks-search-your-school-district.html

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:15 PM, Guppy99 said:

I stand by my statement. There will always be the exception.  "effectively gone"  is not the same as "absolutely gone". As with everything, risk cannot be eliminated entirely. I do wish you the best with your recovery.  Severe cases among the vaccinated without comorbidities remain extremely low.   

• Like 1