Deposit refund cost me because of exchange rates

mexico8

14 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Jim, I was encouraged to pursue my credit with Visa  because of your post.   Thank you.

Really happy it worked out for. you!

Jim

• Like 1

We typically price cruises with our US on line TA.   Since we typically purchase within the final payment window can compare prices without consideration of any currency fluctuations.

Two weeks ago we purchased air in GBP.   The transaction came across on our Home Trust visa correct to the third decimal point.  No surcharges.  We are spending June doing independent travel in Portugal.   No fee FX makes a difference.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, mexico8 said:

We were pressured by a web site travel agency to make a hasty deposit because there was only one cabin left to book on a cruise we wanted to take.   A day or two later we found out that the cabin was not big enough to accommodate my mobility scooter so we cancelled.   The deposit was refunded to our credit card within a week or two and we ended up losing $163 because of the difference in the US and Cdn. exchange rates.   The web agency won't do anything about it.   Any recourse that we have to get that money back?

That's a chance you take as a Canadian who has booked in USD and bank has converted to Canadian. Unless you're 100% sure you will be going on the cruise best to book with line directly or pay in Canadian $. Have you looked into a US credit card?  All banks offer it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That's a chance you take as a Canadian who has booked in USD and bank has converted to Canadian. Unless you're 100% sure you will be going on the cruise best to book with line directly or pay in Canadian $. Have you looked into a US credit card?  All banks offer it.

The problem with a US$ credit card is that, unless you have some income in US$, or unless you exchange large amounts of it, you will get hit when you purchase US$ to pay the bill. Better to have a credit card that doesn’t charge FX fees, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

The problem with a US$ credit card is that, unless you have some income in US$, or unless you exchange large amounts of it, you will get hit when you purchase US$ to pay the bill. Better to have a credit card that doesn’t charge FX fees, in my opinion. 

Unless you open a USD borderless account but my bank wants me to keep a minimum of $3 K to avoid paying the monthly service charge of $5 USD where I use it or not.  I don't think it's feasible for small purchases anyway  

45 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Unless you open a USD borderless account but my bank wants me to keep a minimum of $3 K to avoid paying the monthly service charge of $5 USD where I use it or not.  I don't think it's feasible for small purchases anyway  

That's the point. For small amounts, or only occasional use, as US$ credit card doesn't make sense. It is very different if someone winters in the US for example; for them a US$ account makes sense.

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

That's the point. For small amounts, or only occasional use, as US$ credit card doesn't make sense. It is very different if someone winters in the US for example; for them a US$ account makes sense.

I booked my upcoming 11 night cruise to Hawaii with a US based agent as when I worked out the cost it made financial sense but now my entire booking including upgrading drink packages, shore excursions, specialty dinners etc have to be paid in US as well.  

Just now, drakes2 said:

I booked my upcoming 11 night cruise to Hawaii with a US based agent as when I worked out the cost it made financial sense but now my entire booking including upgrading drink packages, shore excursions, specialty dinners etc have to be paid in US as well.  

At least flights and post cruise hotels are in Canadian funds.

56 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Hopefully you can pay with a no FX fee credit card. 

32 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Hopefully you can pay with a no FX fee credit card. 

Thank you but I don't own one and don't think enough time to apply and receive before April 23rd.  Have enough cash which I bought at favorable rates. 

On 3/16/2022 at 7:51 PM, Senga said:

Unfortunately we don’t get credit card coverage since we’re over 65 so 5K a person would be better than nothing.

Medical travel insurance will usually stop at age 65 for most  credit cards  - however 2 years ago (begining of Covid) we were pleasantly surprised to find out trip cancellation and interuption was still covered even  when over 65. We cut our Mexican all inclusive resort holiday by a week because of so much unknown (March15/2020). BMO M/C covered unused portion of vacation as well as flights home - because we were  unable to wait  another week for Sunwing. That was 2 years ago - so who knows if all that has maybe changed now. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Medical travel insurance will usually stop at age 65 for most  credit cards  - however 2 years ago (begining of Covid) we were pleasantly surprised to find out trip cancellation and interuption was still covered even  when over 65. We cut our Mexican all inclusive resort holiday by a week because of so much unknown (March15/2020). BMO M/C covered unused portion of vacation as well as flights home - because we were  unable to wait  another week for Sunwing. That was 2 years ago - so who knows if all that has maybe changed now. 

My TD first class visa still covers me for 4 days and is good for a quick trip across the border. I now have a yearly travel insurance policy which covers multiple trips up to 17 days per trip.  However, paying on  the TD card gives me trip cancelation insurance which has been useful.

16 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

My TD first class visa still covers me for 4 days and is good for a quick trip across the border. I now have a yearly travel insurance policy which covers multiple trips up to 17 days per trip.  However, paying on  the TD card gives me trip cancelation insurance which has been useful.

The problem for me with TD's cancellation insurance is that the limits are very low, and my travels have become considerably more expensive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Did you know it doesn’t cover flights within your province 🙄

8 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Did you know it doesn’t cover flights within your province 🙄

Could you elaborate? I've been considering this card but I've not come across any exclusion of coverage for flights within one's province. Would this also apply to the Ottawa-Toronto leg of a flight that then goes on to a destination outside the province?

This information is from the TD Aeroplan card, but I'm pretty sure that they have the same provisions. The highlighted section is mine.

Covered Trip means a trip:

made by an Insured Person outside the Insured Person’s province or territory of residence;

that does not extend to or past:

the date the Insured Person no longer meets the eligibility requirements; or

the date coverage terminates

that was booked or reserved prior to Departure Date from the Insured Person’s province or territory of residence; and

for which at least 75% of the cost of the Covered Trip has been charged to Your Account and/or using Your Aeroplan Points.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Could you elaborate? I've been considering this card but I've not come across any exclusion of coverage for flights within one's province. Would this also apply to the Ottawa-Toronto leg of a flight that then goes on to a destination outside the province?

My wife got sick a day before a flight to Thunder Bay from Toronto and was unable to fly 

we called in and they said since it was within our province we could not file a claim

We are switch to CIBC infinity Visa card now , they pay for nexus card and 4 lounge passes a year 

I haven’t check out their flight price yet 

29 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'm also considering TD Aeroplan. The free luggage check is what attracted me although they do not give as many points as the first class card which I currently own. Not sure about Nexus as yet get a discounted rate the second year.  Expedia for TD seems to have difficulty booking hotels and flights together as they get confused also they don't read the notes on file, sometimes can't even open the file. That's been my experience with them. 

You can't compare the points. They are redeemed completely differently.

32 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

You can't compare the points. They are redeemed completely differently.

Seems you only get the free first checked bag if your first flight is with Air Canada. I usually fly to Amsterdam 1 x per year with KLM. Even though they code share with AC would that qualify for free checked luggage?