Move-Up Bidding Question is an Obscured View possible?

bonjourfriend17

We are currently in AQ and just bid for a sky suite (5 dollars over the the weakest bid, because I'm honestly happy in either but the minimum bid came down 50% so I decided why not try. Anyway, I know you don't get a room choice - I'm not picky, but is there any chance I will be put in a room with a obscured view? I hadn't really considered and am wondering if I should cancel as the balcony is a key aspect for me.

What ship?  On the M Class ships  some Deck 6 SS have a view that is partially obstructed by lifeboats & equipment below.

The S class the only possible obstruction I can think of would be the window washing equipment that would only impact a couple of suites.

This is an edge class ship- but when I was looking at upgrading to an available Sky Suites a few weeks ago through the normal non-bidding process, an obscured view on was an option. I guess I would just feel disappointed but I have to think they wouldn't give ones with views that are too badly blocked.

If you're speaking to the question could they will assign you to a partially obscured view, that did just happen to us. We got Moved Up from a regular veranda room on 7, to a Concierge C3 room (1002) that is partially obscured by the command deck. This won't/shouldn't be a big deal for us since we normally look out, not necessarily forward, but still....

• Like 1

I wonder also how they decide which rooms to put into the MoveUp queue. I wonder if some of it is related to distributing weight and passenger counts on the ship in combination with the extra $$. I would imagine it could be one way to ensure that no one steward is overwhelmed while another goes with half the work.

• Like 1

The "Suite Life" benefits far outweight a small obstruction IMHO.  Especially if you bid and get accepted.  You are paying usually a much lower rate than if you would have booked the suite

in the first place.  The suite cabin itself is much larger than any of the regular balcony cabins. 

The balconies are much larger than a regular balcony.  AND, you get to eat in Luminae.  Plus

all the other benefits that come with the "suite life"

4 hours ago, bonjourfriend17 said:

We are currently in AQ and just bid for a sky suite (5 dollars over the the weakest bid, because I'm honestly happy in either but the minimum bid came down 50% so I decided why not try. Anyway, I know you don't get a room choice - I'm not picky, but is there any chance I will be put in a room with a obscured view? I hadn't really considered and am wondering if I should cancel as the balcony is a key aspect for me.

If you haven't already done so, you ought to check and see what the difference is to do a direct upgrade.  I've had it where the difference was essentially the same as the minimum Move Up bid, and I've even had one cruise where it was cheaper.  Do a direct upgrade like that, and you get to choose your room. 

You also get all the "perks" from the suite (upgraded drink package, upgraded internet, and OBC), so figure that in (especially the OBC) when you're determining the real cost of the upgrade.  To the extent it matters to you, you also get the 8 CC points per day, rather than the 5 for AQ, so you might even figure that in for a few bucks.

• Like 1

Are the “magic carpet” Sky Suites on the Edge Class ships considered Obscured view? 

I would not think the Move Up bid process would evaluate individual views for winning bids, unless the actual category is officially referred to as “Obscured view”. I know that some people consider the previous Aft corner S1 cabins Obscured if the window washing equipment block some of the view, but Celebrity does not consider this an Obscured view cabin.

I believe the Move Up process is different than a GTY cabin.  If you not bid on an official Obscured view cabin, you will not win one.  If you purchase a GTY, you can be assigned any cabin in the same category or above.  This might include an Obscured or Partial Obscured cabin. (GTY booking).

The bottom line is that if you would not be happy with any cabin in the category that you bid, you are taking a risk using the Move Up process.  (Some people have reported that they have been able to move within the same category and others have not). The terms say you cannot cancel or move.

In my opinion it is worth the risk.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I guess the big worry on Edge with a suite would be the S3 along the MC rail.  From what I understand there is a window in the rail so you can see forward or aft.  On the bright side I believe these balconies are deeper than other Sky Suites.   I personally wouldn't be concerned.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are the “magic carpet” Sky Suites on the Edge Class ships considered Obscured view? 

I would not think the Move Up bid process would evaluate individual views for winning bids, unless the actual category is officially referred to as “Obscured view”. I know that some people consider the previous Aft corner S1 cabins Obscured if the window washing equipment block some of the view, but Celebrity does not consider this an Obscured view cabin.

I believe the Move Up process is different than a GTY cabin.  If you not bid on an official Obscured view cabin, you will not win one.  If you purchase a GTY, you can be assigned any cabin in the same category or above.  This might include an Obscured or Partial Obscured cabin. (GTY booking).

The bottom line is that if you would not be happy with any cabin in the category that you bid, you are taking a risk using the Move Up process.  (Some people have reported that they have been able to move within the same category and others have not). The terms say you cannot cancel or move.

In my opinion it is worth the risk.  Good luck.

You don't get to bid on S3s versus S1s. You are just bidding on an upgrade to a "Sky Suite", so it could be any of the Sky Suite categories.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You don't get to bid on S3s versus S1s. You are just bidding on an upgrade to a "Sky Suite", so it could be any of the Sky Suite categories.

I guess I knew that.  I just did not realize that an S3 was considered obscured view.  Is it the same thing with the OV and Veranda categories?  Does the official obscured or partial obscured ocategory no longer exist?  Which would obviously mean a person could “win” those cabins under the Move Up process.  I never really paid attention.

Thanks