Why do most of the staterooms on Carnival look so run down?

18 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

So, what are you saying??? If you don't like the way a company does business, you should take your money elsewhere. That's what most of us have said. There is a cruise line for everyone's taste and budget.

If you are saying that as a Carnival stock owner, you are not happy with the way they are running your company. Then you should apply for the job. 

No I am saying my standards and expectations are different that yours and my opinions are different. I do not trash someone that has an opinion different than mine. People are so defensive of their brands that if someone does not agree that their brand is the best then they are worst person for having a different view of their brand and for expressing it.

Edited by Retiredmedic
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Retiredmedic said:

Exactly how low should ones expectations go? I came back from my first cruise not wanting to go on another but my now exwife and our daughter loved it and wanted to on more. My sister in law talked up how great the food was, I should have know to listen to her about food as she uses the smoke detector as a oven timer.

Everyone's expectations are going to be different. I was on Miracle last week and I had more fun on it than I did on Panorama. I take in much more than room decor and furnishings when I book a cruise.

Edited by pc_load_letter

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Most, if not all of those "older vessels" have had some sort of a makeover.  I do agree that a lot of the older "Fargus (sic)" interiors left a lot to be admired. But the Dream Class ships aren't exactly ancient.

Dream class is over 10 years old.  Carnival has only 4 new builds since.  That was the essence of my post.  The 20+ year old ship that received the semi-makeovers are still 2 decades old.  

Edited by jerseyjjs

21 hours ago, I Like to See The Sea said:

Maybe I'm being a little opinionated here, but the cabins look outdated and the bathroom isn't that great either since the shower has a curtain and not a door. I also feel that the color of the vanity doesn't look great either [...]

Which ship is that? Also, I don't see anything bad in those pics....what should I be looking for?

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont thinkmthey will sunshine more ships ... I hope not.

If you dont like the decor book a newer ship? I'm good and dont care.

What does it mean to "sunshine" a ship? I've seen this term used before but idk what it means.

8 minutes ago, neongoddess said:

What does it mean to "sunshine" a ship? I've seen this term used before but idk what it means.

Carnival Destiny was built in 1996. Carnival spent $155 million in a retrofit, adding new dining and bar venues (and cabins?), and ship was rebranded as Carnival Sunshine in 2013.

Sunrise and Radiance have undergone similar transformations.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, famof4togo said:

I get that!  But we should all manage our expectations properly...for example I sail on the Miracle next week...I know its old, I know it's been around, I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles so I am not expecting such.  I will not be shocked by wear and tear or some rust that is what I expect on a 20 year old vessel.  

Hey I will be on the Miracle too! I sailed her in 2016 (my 2nd ever cruise) and she remains by far the ugliest ship I've been on lol. However I know she has been dry docked since then and has more stuff than it did last time. I don't remember anything in disrepair though....it was just weird and tacky lol. But I got a $0 cabin offer, plus any day at sea is awesome, so I am good with it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mondello said:

Carnival Destiny was built in 1996. Carnival spent $155 million in a retrofit, adding new dining and bar venues (and cabins?), and ship was rebranded as Carnival Sunshine in 2013.

Sunrise and Radiance have undergone similar transformations.

Thanks! I was on the Radiance last month and it looked like a brand new ship. Kind of bland decor in my opinion (but I have no clue what it looked like to begin with, so it may have been an improvement). I thought the atrium and MDR looked classy though.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, the more “retro” feel of Carnival kind of appeals to me. I’ve sailed lines with all the modern blues and greys and wood grain. And they were nice, but something about Carnival reminds me of simpler times. I also get wayyyyyy better deals on Carnival, so, I’m ok with things looking outdated for the money saved (so long as not broken and dirty)!

• Like 1

Carnival persisted for years in outdated designs like shower curtains and hinged balcony doors while the rest of the main cruise lines evolved to enclosed showers with doors and sliding balcony doors. These outdated designs impacted function more than decor; flooded and slippery shower floors and slamming balcony doors or wind tunnels, anyone?

MG is their 1st serious design/decor update. Finally!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

No I am saying my standards and expectations are different that yours and my opinions are different. I do not trash someone that has an opinion different than mine. People are so defensive of their brands that if someone does not agree that their brand is the best then they are worst person for having a different view of their brand and for expressing it.

but you haven't stated your expectations, and I certainly wasn't defending a brand. 

The whole thread began with statement from someone who woke up one morning and figured that today was the day to join Cruise Critic and make a statement (not looking for any help or advice on cruising) that is a generalization that says nothing tangible. The Thread wasn't started with a question like "does Carnival have any cabins that don't look or run down, or Do all cruise lines have run down cabins like the one I was in on Carnival?" The point always was that we all have choices and there is something out there for everyone and every taste. Why would someone make an effort to try and press the fact that what many others enjoy is not good enough for them. This person went out of their way to do just that. Are you doing the same?

• Like 3

This thread is just silly; it's obvious some posters have limited travel experience beyond their favorite cruises.   The Carnival Panorama has similar décor as what's pictured, and it's hardly dated -- most everybody these days is adding color, ending the era of darks and whites.  And the shower curtain?  Plenty of new build luxury hotels use them too -- they take less time to clean, are less expensive and are often more sanitary.

Some people are overly obsessed with the age of ships (and new trains, new planes, etc.) -- if this is you, then book only a brand new ship.  But aging ships, planes, buildings, etc. that have underwent an extensive renovation, often look just as snazzy.  

Think about the Fantasy-class ship.  These ships entered service in an era when the only electronics people brought on board, were battery-operated devices like CD players and film cameras.  Of course, there was no internet... but there was no live TV, either (at least in the older ships, not sure about the newer ones).  And yet these cabins were renovated multiple times to provide modern comforts...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

but you haven't stated your expectations, and I certainly wasn't defending a brand. 

The whole thread began with statement from someone who woke up one morning and figured that today was the day to join Cruise Critic and make a statement (not looking for any help or advice on cruising) that is a generalization that says nothing tangible. The Thread wasn't started with a question like "does Carnival have any cabins that don't look or run down, or Do all cruise lines have run down cabins like the one I was in on Carnival?" The point always was that we all have choices and there is something out there for everyone and every taste. Why would someone make an effort to try and press the fact that what many others enjoy is not good enough for them. This person went out of their way to do just that. Are you doing the same?

That's not what the poster wrote.  They asked why all Carnival cabins looked run down.  It's possible the poster has never been on any cruise ship ever -- he or she is simply making comments based upon the pictures.

And yes, the implication is clear that it's not up to their standards.  Such postings are really ridiculous -- if you don't like the product that's offered, don't purchase it - stick to one within your standards.  If I were to post (in a Canadian travel forum) "why does every Tim Horton's look like it was built in the 1960s and serve such terrible coffee?" do you think all the responses would be warm and fuzzy?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IrritatedEllipses said:

I think there might be a bit of a language / communication difference here? The phrase "run-down" commonly refers to being in poor repair or overly worn out, not outdated style choices or inexpensive design choices. 

I'd like to believe OP just used an incorrect terminology instead of tossing the gloves and grabbing the jersey here.

Yeah, I meant dated. Not run down. Sorry about the confusion!

• Haha 1

It's sorta funny to me...

Carnival started 50 years ago with an old ocean liner that they quickly (and cheaply) converted to a cruise ship, then promptly ran it aground.  They've always tried to "make up" for their older fleet with the "Fun" mantra, low prices and excellent onboard service. For many of us, this works.  For others, it doesn't.  

And yet, people still don't understand why Carnival's ships are dates.  It's a half century formula that has worked for them.  

Now and then they build something like the Mardi Gras that might fool you, but this is what it is.  Set your expectations for that, and if it's not what you want, you have other options.  

10 hours ago, I Like to See The Sea said:

Yeah, I meant dated. Not run down. Sorry about the confusion!

Big difference between dated and run-down. That being said, the average age of a cruiser is 50+. Perhaps their designs are directed at their target demographic. To me the cabins on the newer ships just look neutral/classic (blue, wood grain). Perhaps they are designed not to be overly trendy, since trendy designs become outdated sooner. Idk, just my thoughts. Some of the colors in the rooms on their super old ships (Miracle, for instance) do look a little dated (which should be expected on a super old ship!) but they're still not run down from what I have seen. 

• Like 1

The closest door broke off (the wood crumbled, it didn’t just fall off the hinges) within the first 2 hours of our being in our balcony room on the Carnival Horizon. It was only her 4th sailing ever!

I’m going to have to say that was shoddy workmanship. I would say it was low quality materials but since we don’t hear about that happening all the time it had to be a bad job by a worker and a fluke.

On Allure of the Seas I had a deep dark stain the size of a world globe on the carpet in plain view. Allure was already 9 years old but Royal knows darn well they should have changed that carpet.

I don’t think there is one reason that explains why some ships are showing a lot of wear and tear. If I had to give one reason, I would say the ships work too much. The turnover time between cruises is too short and some things get neglected repeatedly. The longer damage, stains, rust are left to sit the worse they get.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:30 PM, I Like to See The Sea said:

Maybe I'm being a little opinionated here, but the cabins look outdated and the bathroom isn't that great either since the shower has a curtain and not a door. I also feel that the color of the vanity doesn't look great either. What do you think though?

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/cabinpics/245/web/CarCov236-36084-1627754871.webp

Carnival Cruise Line Will Start Recycling Soap

Image sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJyJHULJQZc

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Carnival-Vista&cabin=2361

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-joins-soap-recycling-program/

I think I would rather be there than sitting at my desk at work.  Regardless of decor.

Three of my cruises in the past year have had bathrooms with a shower door (and 'whirlpool tub' - which is not large enough to soak in or have the water provide any meaningful whirlpool effect). I'd give up that cramped space inside that door'd shower for one with a curtain just about any day. 

That said, IMO the Mardi Gras one (which admittedly is their newest) had the best bathroom, but the smallest cabin (usable space, even if sqft says different).

Not sure I understand the obsession with shower doors.  

We've taken them out of our house as they are a nightmare to maintain.  I'd hate to see what a shower door on a cruise ship would look like 10-20 years from now.

Realistically, the curtains are cheap and easy to clean/replace (so they will).  I'd rather that, then a nasty shower door that requires extra time to maintain/replace (so they won't).

• Like 4

19 hours ago, neongoddess said:

Thanks! I was on the Radiance last month and it looked like a brand new ship. Kind of bland decor in my opinion (but I have no clue what it looked like to begin with, so it may have been an improvement). I thought the atrium and MDR looked classy though.

I think the Radiance used to be the Triumph

On 3/17/2022 at 3:31 AM, FSHLOT said:

The worst decor i can recall on a Carnival ship was the Miracle. Looked like purple grapes all over the MDR. Ugliest lay out ever, imo. 

Has it changed??  I was on the Miracle in January 2020 and that room is hideous!  We didn't eat in there.  The rest of the ship was also on the "tacky" side but we enjoyed the rest of it and in fact will be visiting her again in August!

I don't remember the MDR on the Imagination, but THAT was pretty hideous.  And yet we still had fun, because it's a cruise!

21 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Everyone's expectations are going to be different. I was on Miracle last week and I had more fun on it than I did on Panorama. I take in much more than room decor and furnishings when I book a cruise.

I agree the Miracle was fun!  We enjoyed it very much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brkintx said:

Three of my cruises in the past year have had bathrooms with a shower door (and 'whirlpool tub' - which is not large enough to soak in or have the water provide any meaningful whirlpool effect). I'd give up that cramped space inside that door'd shower for one with a curtain just about any day. 

Why all the hate for shower curtains in this thread? Personally I don't see what difference it makes. Would be nice if the showers were bigger, but that's cruise ship cabins for you.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

Has it changed??  I was on the Miracle in January 2020 and that room is hideous!  We didn't eat in there.  The rest of the ship was also on the "tacky" side but we enjoyed the rest of it and in fact will be visiting her again in August!

I don't remember the MDR on the Imagination, but THAT was pretty hideous.  And yet we still had fun, because it's a cruise!

I agree the Miracle was fun!  We enjoyed it very much.

We always have fun!!! I just remember that being my first CCL cruise. 

• Like 1