Chefs Table 2022 worth it?

bernieb86

Hello. Thinking of booking on Conquest for upcoming cruise. Assuming no kitchen or special tours due to Covid so is it still worth the $75 + gratuity?! Anyone able to share their experiences recently in 2022? Thanks!

We just did it on Legend in February and it was our favorite menu yet. We also had very engaged and experienced Head Chef and Sous Chef guiding us through everything.  To be honest, that is the part that makes or breaks the evening, how much the chef cares about the guests vs just treating it as a photo op and I have seen it go either way.

I can honestly say the only thing missing right now is no galley tour for due to COVID. But our chef ran to the kitchen with his cell phone and took pictures of the things people asked about to discuss at the table.

Edited by GalaxyJane

1 hour ago, Bandman said:

Just watched a video of the Mardi Gras Chef’s Table and I decided NOT to book based on what I saw. 

https://youtu.be/tp2rBbi9Mb0 

Interesting, always wondered about this, looks tasty but small portions. May have to hit the buffet after it's over lol. I'll probably do this on cruise eventually. Looks like fun.  

I did Chef's Table on Ecstasy. The galley tour really was the best part of it to me with the small hors d'oeuvres. I wouldn't want to do it again until they bring back the galley tour.

9 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Interesting, always wondered about this, looks tasty but small portions. May have to hit the buffet after it's over lol. I'll probably do this on cruise eventually. Looks like fun.  

It's like a 9 course meal or something like that, it's a big meal, I'd be surprised if you leave hungry lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I did Chef's Table on Ecstasy. The galley tour really was the best part of it to me with the small hors d'oeuvres. I wouldn't want to do it again until they bring back the galley tour.

It's like a 9 course meal or something like that, it's a big meal, I'd be surprised if you leave hungry lol.

Hey, I'm a big guy, those tiny portions wouldn't get it for me lol, some of them were only bite size. It did look interesting and fun though, I would have eaten all those things. The folks in the video sure seemed to like everything.  

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Hey, I'm a big guy, those tiny portions wouldn't get it for me lol, some of them were only bite size. It did look interesting and fun though, I would have eaten all those things. The folks in the video sure seemed to like everything.  

Well even if you do leave to head to the buffet I do think it's worth the money at least once. Like I said I'd do it again but only once they bring back the galley tour.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Well even if you do leave to head to the buffet I do think it's worth the money at least once. Like I said I'd do it again but only once they bring back the galley tour.

Got a few questions actually. What time does this usually take place? Is there only one seating per night? Does it overlap with kids club availability? Oh, and how does the wine work? Do they have pre-paired offerings or do you just buy whatever you want? The Mrs. and I would enjoy something like this and now I'm thinking about booking if for next January.  

44 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Got a few questions actually. What time does this usually take place? Is there only one seating per night? Does it overlap with kids club availability? Oh, and how does the wine work? Do they have pre-paired offerings or do you just buy whatever you want? The Mrs. and I would enjoy something like this and now I'm thinking about booking if for next January.  

So, since the restart I've done Chef's Table on Magic, Mardi Gras, Valor and most recently Breeze. 

On the Mardi Gras, there is only one seating per night -- on the other ships, there is generally only one seating PER SAILING. You meet-up around 5:30 or so for a champagne toast, and then you head to your location for the dining experience. Plan on around 3 hours for the whole thing, because there is an intermission with the sleight-of-hand magician to come entertain, along with taking pictures with the Chef (you each get a printed copy of these when you leave, so add that into the value proposition of the experience).

For wine, you have a choice of white or red (sometimes just one of each, sometimes two of each) and a port. All are included in the Chef's Table price and don't count towards your Cheers package if you're on that. You can order glasses a la cart if you don't want the offered wine. Most recently, it was Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and a choice between a Cab Sav and Merlot, but YMMV and it will likely change each ship and/or sailing. You get basically a half pour with each course, but they'll keep refilling as you see fit -- except for the port at the end of the night with the dessert course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh! And if there are things you can't/won't eat, they ask you when they confirm your reservation and will make accommodations. I have a shellfish allergy and they've always been able to substitute effectively. 

Most recently, we were seated next to a woman who was averse to four courses just out of a personal taste preference and they were able to substitute for her ... but, again, it begged the question of why she bothered to spend the $$ when she clearly didn't want to eat any of the courses. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Thank you @keels81, your info/insight is very helpful. Appreciate it! 

You're so welcome!

Even without the galley tours, I have never had regret over a Chef's Table experience ... even when the meat wasn't cooked to the way I was hoping (beef/lamb/venison), I've always enjoyed the experience and talking with the chef and kitchen staff as they prepare and plate all of our dishes. It's definitely something they look forward to each sailing, and since I love to experiment and cook at home they always are happy to answer questions and give advice on creating similar dishes back home. 

My husband is an "eater" and has never left a Chef's Table hungry, or something that eventually a slice of pizza after the comedy show or an ice cream or extra dessert from the buffet couldn't fix.

Oh! And they give you a recipe on how to make the chocolate melting cake at home! Along with a demonstration!

• Like 1

We went for the CT option (done several previously) on the Mardi Gras in November. Probably will never do it again - just takes too long for a decent meal. I'm past the "experience" of it at this point. 

And, who's idea was the Salt Baked Beet course !!!  geesh

Tom

14 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

We did the Chef's table a couple of years ago.   I am also a big guy, and I did not leave hungry because although the portions are small there are so many courses.   Generally, this is true of any restaurant -- whether at sea or on land --  that offers a tasting menu.  We have done many tasting menus on land over the years (including in the Bay Area) and never, ever left hungry.

Edited by Calnev1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I thought the portions look small too....but it's 8 or 9 courses including apps, salad, soup, bread, etc. I was devouring every bite of every course, but by the last course before dessert, I started getting full! Which was a shame as the last course was the best IMO - the Wagyu Beef. I couldn't eat all of that and still have any room left for dessert. I wish I would have paced myself a bit more! LOL

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, keels81 said:

So, since the restart I've done Chef's Table on Magic, Mardi Gras, Valor and most recently Breeze. 

On the Mardi Gras, there is only one seating per night -- on the other ships, there is generally only one seating PER SAILING. You meet-up around 5:30 or so for a champagne toast, and then you head to your location for the dining experience. Plan on around 3 hours for the whole thing, because there is an intermission with the sleight-of-hand magician to come entertain, along with taking pictures with the Chef (you each get a printed copy of these when you leave, so add that into the value proposition of the experience).

For wine, you have a choice of white or red (sometimes just one of each, sometimes two of each) and a port. All are included in the Chef's Table price and don't count towards your Cheers package if you're on that. You can order glasses a la cart if you don't want the offered wine. Most recently, it was Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and a choice between a Cab Sav and Merlot, but YMMV and it will likely change each ship and/or sailing. You get basically a half pour with each course, but they'll keep refilling as you see fit -- except for the port at the end of the night with the dessert course.

Do you have the menu from the CT on the Valor? 

I have seen a couple different Chef's Table menus floating around recently so wondering which one the Valor is doing. How recently were you on the Valor? 

Also - I will say when we did CT on the Paradise (2019 - so pre-Covid), it seemed they had CT seatings each night of our cruise. Maybe it's based on demand?? Or maybe because it was a Cuba cruise and skewed to an older crowd (very few families with kids) that maybe is more likely to book CT. Who knows? 

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

Do you have the menu from the CT on the Valor? 

I have seen a couple different Chef's Table menus floating around recently so wondering which one the Valor is doing. How recently were you on the Valor? 

Also - I will say when we did CT on the Paradise (2019 - so pre-Covid), it seemed they had CT seatings each night of our cruise. Maybe it's based on demand?? Or maybe because it was a Cuba cruise and skewed to an older crowd (very few families with kids) that maybe is more likely to book CT. Who knows? 

Yup -- see below! I was on the Valor at the end of January, so pretty recent. 

I do think they add a second (or more) night based on demand. On the Magic, we thought they weren't offering it (it was the first sailing of the ship's restart) but saw people in the Library Bar one night and inquired. There was enough interest to offer it on a second nightIMG_0283.thumb.jpeg.2242a7f65a66d94bc634ddae964fb11c.jpeg

3 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

When we sailed on Pride for a 7-night Baltimore-Bermuda cruise there were 3 nights when Chef's Table was offered. We booked online ahead of the cruise and were thankful that we were scheduled for a sea day. One of the others was a port day (I think the third was the night we sailed from Bermuda) and since that's an overnight visit, it wouldn't be my choice.

Hi! Cruising on Sunshine out of Charleston this May and my husband and I are considering reservations at Chefs Table. We have been taking notes and have heard the Italian speciality restaurant is good so our family of 5 will be dining there as well. Planning to bypass the steakhouse due to so-so reviews. 

Is Chefs table worth the surcharge for a date comparative to the other specialty options?

thanks! 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, keels81 said:

My husband and I used to be drinkers but aren’t any longer. Is there still a value in this if we don’t plan to have any adult beverages?