Cheap things to do in Alaska

izmeeh

Hello.  The last time I was in Alaska, I took local buses and walked around town.  I thought it was fun.  This time, I have a new cruiser with me so I don't think I can do that again.  However, I don't want to spend more than $100/day on excursions.  I prefer the number to be much lower.  There are 4 of us.  Thank you.  

Juneau, AK 2:00 PM 11:00 PM
Skagway, AK 7:00 AM 9:00 PM
Icy Strait Point, AK 7:00 AM 9:00 PM

Skagway has a tour trolley that goes around town and has narration, if I remember correctly. Also, if you have read up on the goldmining era, the old cemetery on the outskirts of town is free and very interesting. With 4 of you, you can also rent a car and take the road up to Canada- a beautiful and easy ride. We were early in the season and were excited to watch the still half asleep bears chomping down on dandelions. There is a mile by mile guide available on Amazon pointing out things to see and watch for on the ride up. Bring your passports- IF the border is open you can go into the Yukon a ways- Emerald Lake is not far into Canada if I remember correctly. 

The only thing we have ever done in Juneau is go whale watching, although several of those trips have included a stop at Mendenhall Glacier. I think you can get out to the glacier relatively cheaply (a local bus maybe?) and wander around. In addition to the glacier and the small museum there is (or has been regularly) a very active beaver right off the path building away. We all found that nearly as interesting as the glacier, which sadly is rapidly retreating. 

If you like to hike there are some great options in each port:

Skagway: Lower Dewey Lake or Yakutania Point (walking distance from port)

Juneau: Perseverance Trail or Treadwell Mine trail (taxi to trailhead)

Icy Strait Point: Nature Trail or walk into Hoonah (walking distance from port)

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

Mendenhall Visitor Centre outside of Juneau is inexpensive and could be a great way for all of you to spend a few hours at low cost.  Check the official website. 

On our third visit there we decided to explore the town itself and picked up a self guided walking tour of Juneau.  There is actually more to see than you might expect.

ISP sorry cannot help as we did a whale watching trip then walked back to the tender point.

Skagway visitor’s bureau has a map of trails in the area ranked from easy to strenuous.  The two listed by @karatemom2 are my favorites.  The National park visitor’s center has free displays and a schedule for guided walks with a ranger.  Check it out as soon as you get to town to see what is available.

In Juneau you can also get a walking tour guide but Juneau is very hilly.  On a clear day take the Mt. Roberts Tram. You can stay at the top as long as you want.  There is a short educational movie.  There is also a hiking path at the top.  In June there may also be snow along the path.

The walk into Hoonah is beautiful and you can walk down to their harbor.  You can also take a shuttle.  There is a walking path near the dock at ISP and a walk through the cannery is free.

Best idea for Skagway:  Make plans to rent a car and drive up the road, stop when you want.  Drive over to Dyea and see where the miners began their journey up the Chilkoot Trail.  You do have to reserve the car in advance and pick it up as soon as they open.

Edited by oaktreerb

@izmeeh: Is your $100 per day target budget $100 for the four of you, or $100 each for a total of $400 per day?

Another option in Juneau is the Alaska State Museum and also the Sealaska Heritage Center.  Their respective websites will list their admission fees.

Check the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park website for options in Skagway.  The NPS is acquiring more and more of the old buildings so the community is transforming into a museum.  And if you are traveling with a child the NPS operates a great  junior ranger program out of one of the old saloons.  Alternatively you could consider renting a vehicle in Skagway and do your own tour into Canada.

One of the better cultural presentations I've seen was actually in ISP;  my memory is that it wasn't very pricey but it won't be free.  ISP is an excellent whale watching port, so possibly a three hour whale watching excursion?

20 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

One of the better cultural presentations I've seen was actually in ISP;  my memory is that it wasn't very pricey but it won't be free

This was the highlight of my ISP visit, only followed by the rain forest tram tour.  

On 3/18/2022 at 5:11 PM, Northern Aurora said:

@izmeeh: Is your $100 per day target budget $100 for the four of you, or $100 each for a total of $400 per day?

I had the same question! If it is $100 total for 4 people, and exceeding $100 would not be a huge financial stress, please consider upping the budget a little. With the recent supply-chain costs making everything more expensive (even more so in Alaska) just grabbing a light lunch in port may be a budget buster! Also, it has been a heck of a couple years for the port towns in Alaska and they are still financially recovering so any little bit extra $ spent in port would appreciated. 

Ketchikan is fun to walk.  In late summer you can watch salmon migrating upstream right in town, observable from the sidewalk bridges over streams that flow through Ketchikan.

The Totem Heritage Center is also right in town and has a nominal entrance fee, something like $6.  I remember that our admission was free as DH is a veteran.  Alaska recognizes veterans and frequently offers free or reduced admissions.  (Nice photos in this Tripadvisor listing.)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31030-d259678-Reviews-Totem_Heritage_Center-Ketchikan_Alaska.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry.  I didn't see the notifications so I thought no one replied to my post.  $100 is per person per day.  The lower the better, but that's about the max I want to spend unless it's a MUST do.  

Skagway is a national historic park, administered by the park service, so if you go to the park headquarters (at the old railway station), there are tours lead by a ranger that are free.  This was one of the best things we did in Skagway.  

In Juneau, the Alaska State Museum was like $10 per person and I absolutely loved it.  Lots of great exhibits and it was a fairly easy walk from the pier.  

• Like 2

In juneau we took the Mt. Roberts tram up and then hiked the trails at the top.   The trails were free and not crowded.   The tram was crowded and of course you have to buy tickets for the tram but they are not expensive.

I would definitely save some of your budget for an excursion at ISP.   The port area at ISP is nice but very small and there is no real town to walk around in.  Skagway and Juneau are better for walking.

We did whale watching tour in ISP and really enjoyed it.  

good luck and have fun !