Princess Cay Clamshell or bungalows, just how close to water are they?

Dall

I’m pondering renting a clamshell, or a cabana.  The pull towards the cabana is mainly the priority tendering.  The description says they’re 3 minutes walk to beach?  Can you see the beach/water from the cabanas?  I would probably go for the cabanas that are for all ages.

There is a very big difference between a clamshell and a cabana.  Clamshells provide only limited shade to one or two people and they tend to be very hot.  We had one and gave it to a couple of kids after just a few minutes.  They are directly on the beach.  Cabanas are little huts that have tables and chairs and fans and are very comfortable.  Much, much more expensive than a clamshell, but quite nice and a view of the ocean.  You will also be provided with refreshments.

3 hours ago, Dall said:

I’m pondering renting a clamshell, or a cabana.  The pull towards the cabana is mainly the priority tendering.  The description says they’re 3 minutes walk to beach?  Can you see the beach/water from the cabanas?  I would probably go for the cabanas that are for all ages.

We've done both. The Clam shells(really just a covered double lounger) are right on the beach. They can get hot, so look for one under a tree. The Cabanas are a several min. walk from where you're dropped off. Transportation is available if needed. They are like small cabins but with water. There is food delivered so you do not have to walk from there to the outdoor buffet & cook out. No real beach in front, but decent snorkeling is in the water in front of them. Price will be a few hundred bucks for a Cabana. On our Oceania cruise in 2018 the cabanas off Belize were $500. These did have hot & cold running water/ shower etc. Still pricey for what you got.

In addition to the pictures here, search Princess Cay on YouTube for videos.

IIRC cabanas have an outdoor shower, air conditioning, included floats, and are within easy walking distance of restrooms.  Check out the description in the excursion section of the website.

• Thanks 1

My son and daughter-in-law rented a cabana and invited us to join them in enjoying it on one cruise we took together.  There is golf cart transportation to the cabanas, 4 lounge chairs, and air conditioner is on ~ but who wants to stay inside a 10x10 square cubicle when the beauty of Princess Cay is outside?  Bar & Lunch is served to the cabana. The price was at least $200.   It is expensive and unnecessary, in my opinion.  We have been to Princess Cay numerous times and we always choose two lounge chairs under a tree (plenty of trees) or move two loungers to the shade of a tree, and it's free.  We usually arrive early and leave early at Princess Cay, also, to avoid too much sun.  The line for the tenders back to the ship is very long and hot if you wait until the end of the day to return to ship.   

36 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

My son and daughter-in-law rented a cabana and invited us to join them in enjoying it on one cruise we took together.  There is golf cart transportation to the cabanas, 4 lounge chairs, and air conditioner is on ~ but who wants to stay inside a 10x10 square cubicle when the beauty of Princess Cay is outside?  Bar & Lunch is served to the cabana. The price was at least $200.   It is expensive and unnecessary, in my opinion.  We have been to Princess Cay numerous times and we always choose two lounge chairs under a tree (plenty of trees) or move two loungers to the shade of a tree, and it's free.  We usually arrive early and leave early at Princess Cay, also, to avoid too much sun.  The line for the tenders back to the ship is very long and hot if you wait until the end of the day to return to ship.   

I have done what you described and also rented a cabana (twice), as noted above.  The last time we were on the Sky Princess we decided against renting the bungalow and found two loungers in the shade and that was fine, too.   The bungalow was nice to have.  Felt good to have air conditioning available to get some relief from the heat, but we had a good time without it, as well.  As you say, it is very small and we certainly didn’t spend any time inside the bungalow.  It was nice to have a space for our stuff.  Is it necessary?  Absolutely not.  We have enjoyed Princess Cay with and without it.  

Agree with the recommendations to look for YouTube videos.  I found some really good ones before our last cruise that toured the entire place so you get a good feel for everything.  We also took the CC recommendations to go over the bridge to the smaller area with far less people.  We had a wonderful day on the beach and enjoyed our loungers under the palm trees for shade.  The clam shells look hot and claustrophobic to me -- give me the island breeze under the palm trees anytime 🙂  

Before we headed back to the ship at the end of the day we walked over to the busier side just to check it out, and we were so glad we chose the smaller, less busy side.  We still had access to a bar, food carts, restrooms, etc -- so we had everything we needed for a fun day.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Agree with the recommendations to look for YouTube videos.  I found some really good ones before our last cruise that toured the entire place so you get a good feel for everything.  We also took the CC recommendations to go over the bridge to the smaller area with far less people.  We had a wonderful day on the beach and enjoyed our loungers under the palm trees for shade.  The clam shells look hot and claustrophobic to me -- give me the island breeze under the palm trees anytime 🙂  

Before we headed back to the ship at the end of the day we walked over to the busier side just to check it out, and we were so glad we chose the smaller, less busy side.  We still had access to a bar, food carts, restrooms, etc -- so we had everything we needed for a fun day.  

Is it a hassle getting off the ship on the tenders?  We haven’t had to tender anywhere for years.  I remember long lines in the hallways waiting to get off the ship.

4 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Is it a hassle getting off the ship on the tenders?  We haven’t had to tender anywhere for years.  I remember long lines in the hallways waiting to get off the ship.

Just now, Dall said:

It wasn't a hassle for us -- we got on the first shuttle of the morning and stayed until the last shuttle back. We had a beautiful weather day and wanted to make the most of it. We were on the Regal too which is one of the larger ships and didn't find it too annoying to tender.

About the clamshells:  I've read that they can be tilted up in the back so a breeze can flow through, but I would imagine the tilt would inhibit the view forward.  I've never tried one, as we are happy in loungers under a tree.

• Thanks 1