Please help - Temporary ID in Galveston

nicole10099

Hi! So my wallet was stolen yesterday along with my Drivers License. I was planning on cruising with my DL and my BC and am now wondering if Galveston will accept the Missouri paper temporary ID as a valid form of ID? It has a photo on it and a barcode to scan. Or would it be worth it to drive to a major city and get an urgent passport for international travel? My cruise is in a week.

Thanks in advance!

13 minutes ago, nicole10099 said:

Hi! So my wallet was stolen yesterday along with my Drivers License. I was planning on cruising with my DL and my BC and am now wondering if Galveston will accept the Missouri paper temporary ID as a valid form of ID? It has a photo on it and a barcode to scan. Or would it be worth it to drive to a major city and get an urgent passport for international travel? My cruise is in a week.

Thanks in advance!

If getting the passport (which is something which will be valuable for years) is a practical option, it is worth going for it.  As an alternative - is their any way you could get the cruise line to definitively approve that “Missouri paper temporary” document for boarding?

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

If getting the passport (which is something which will be valuable for years) is a practical option, it is worth going for it.  As an alternative - is their any way you could get the cruise line to definitively approve that “Missouri paper temporary” document for boarding?

I’m not sure, I tried to call RC yesterday and they said it varies by port and that the couldn’t give me a definitive answer. I will most likely call again today to see if I can get a more informed response but we‘ll see. I’m also going to call the Port of Galveston to confirm but they don’t open til tomorrow.

I assume you mean a cruise line departing out of Galveston?  Which cruise line - as their ID rules may vary.  For instance RCCL will require a valid picture ID and an original birth certificate - or - a passport for a closed loop US departure.  

To be sure I would contact the cruise line in question and confirm with them.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I assume you mean a cruise line departing out of Galveston?  Which cruise line - as their ID rules may vary.  For instance RCCL will require a valid picture ID and an original birth certificate - or - a passport for a closed loop US departure.  

To be sure I would contact the cruise line in question and confirm with them.

It’s RCCL!

7 minutes ago, nicole10099 said:

I’m not sure, I tried to call RC yesterday and they said it varies by port and that the couldn’t give me a definitive answer. I will most likely call again today to see if I can get a more informed response but we‘ll see. I’m also going to call the Port of Galveston to confirm but they don’t open til tomorrow.

Whomever you talked to is confused - It does not vary by US port.  It varies by itinerary.  Currently all US departure closed loop itineraries require the ID as I indicated in my prior post.  Galveston would be included with that with RCCL departures.

And it is not a Galveston requirement - it is a cruise line policy.  Contact RCCL again or your TA if booked through one for confirmation on the temporary ID.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

23 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Whomever you talked to is confused - It does not vary by US port.  It varies by itinerary.  Currently all US departure closed loop itineraries require the ID as I indicated in my prior post.  Galveston would be included with that with RCCL departures.

And it is not a Galveston requirement - it is a cruise line policy.  Contact RCCL again or your TA if booked through one for confirmation on the temporary ID.

I just spoke to a Royal Caribbean representative and they said it would be accepted! I’ll probably call at least two more times to confirm with other representatives but that’s a good start

2 minutes ago, nicole10099 said:

I just spoke to a Royal Caribbean representative and they said it would be accepted! I’ll probably call at least two more times to confirm with other representatives but that’s a good start

That's good news.  Again, they require a valid picture ID (along with a BC) and as long as the temporary ID can be confirmed as a valid form of ID, which, as it was issued to temporarily replace your license, you should be fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

46 minutes ago, nicole10099 said:

Ask them to confirm that in an email to you.  Then take a copy of the email to the embarkation port.🤞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

as long as the temporary ID can be confirmed as a valid form of ID,

I don't know about Missouri, but I'd suggest giving that temporary ID a good look.  In my state, temporary driver's licenses actually state "this is not a verified ID".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I don't know about Missouri, but I'd suggest giving that temporary ID a good look.  In my state, temporary driver's licenses actually state "this is not a verified ID".

This, and you might try contacting CBP and asking, as it is really their decision, and that can vary between ports, as CBP officers have a whole lot of leeway in their decisions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This, and you might try contacting CBP and asking, as it is really their decision, and that can vary between ports, as CBP officers have a whole lot of leeway in their decisions.

Thank you! This is a good idea!

I also would bring along a copy of your police report that states that you reported your wallet w/ID was stolen.  As crazy as it sounds, if you still have something that has your photo on it like a Costco card, or maybe a work photo ID, I would bring that along with your temporary driver's license and a copy of the police report.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Ask them to confirm that in an email to you.  Then take a copy of the email to the embarkation port.🤞

At the end of the day, the decision will be made at the port as to whether or not the ID is accepted.  The confirmation email is great in theory, but the the ID has to satisfy the check-in supervisor, and/or the ship's Documentation Officer.  

You'd be amazed at the people that show up here in Galveston without the documents they need. I am sure a variety of reasons exist. RCCL and Carnival allow people to board if they can get someone to scan their forgotten BC in and email it to the Escalation Desk in the terminal. It happens every sailing, I'm a ham radio guy and I listen in to the embarkation staff work through problems.

They do the same thing for those that didn't get Covid tested or their test is beyond the time requirements. Saturday a family was turned away after they locked the terminal door and they talked their way aboard.

The advice to get that in email from a cruise line representative is solid. Print that off and bring your BC and the newly issued ID.

Good luck, and enjoy your vacation.

• Thanks 1

As long as RCL accepts it for check-in, and does the facial recognition for you, you won't need to stop for CBP as long as your face is scanned and recognized.  Not guaranteed, but they didn't look at anyone's documents when we arrived in Galveston on 3/6.

Also, if you have an expired passport or drivers license, you might want to bring that for photo ID just in case you're questioned.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...