Priority Boarding Returning?

EdmundXXIII

When do you think Carnival will bring back priority boarding for Platinum / Diamond guests, and FTTF for others to purchase?

It seems like they would be highly motivated to get back to normal in this regard, since FTTF is basically like printing money for them.

My guess is that it won't return until after changes to the VIFP program are announced. I'm also not sure that Carnival will ever bring it back just like it was before where ALL Platinum, Diamonds, and those who pay for the privilege just show up whenever they want and have their cabins available when they board. According to John Heald they are considering adding other levels. He specifically mentioned a Diamond Plus, but it could even include Platinum Plus or even changes to the number of days required for each level. It could mean permanent changes to who gets priority boarding and what that looks like for the different levels.  Who knows?  All just guesses, but based on the fact that Carnival was working on changes well before Covid because the number of Platinums was growing fast.

9 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

My guess is that it won't return until after changes to the VIFP program are announced. I'm also not sure that Carnival will ever bring it back just like it was before where ALL Platinum, Diamonds, and those who pay for the privilege just show up whenever they want and have their cabins available when they board. According to John Heald they are considering adding other levels. He specifically mentioned a Diamond Plus, but it could even include Platinum Plus or even changes to the number of days required for each level. It could mean permanent changes to who gets priority boarding and what that looks like for the different levels.  Who knows?  All just guesses, but based on the fact that Carnival was working on changes well before Covid because the number of Platinums was growing fast.

If that’s the case, I wonder if current Platinums would be grandfathered in with the benefits we have now, or if we’d lose some.

36 minutes ago, EdmundXXIII said:

If that’s the case, I wonder if current Platinums would be grandfathered in with the benefits we have now, or if we’d lose some.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part. If they change the number of days required to get platinum, the may grandfather in those currently there.  However, if they add tiers, such as platinum plus, where a higher level is required for priority boarding, then probably not.  But, I'm thinking that another possibility is more likely and that is changing what priority boarding looks like for each level.  For instance, in any case diamonds/ diamond plus would probably retain the full benefits as before Covid, such as being able to arrive when they want, having the captain's lounge, and guaranteed stateroom availability upon boarding.  Platinum and platinum plus could have some variation of the  current procedure where check in is available a day or so before for platinum and two days or more for platinum plus, but not necessarily having cabins available.

This is all speculation and I may be completely off base.  In a few months they may bring everything back just as it was before and not make major changes.  However, if they do that, then it would be harder to make these changes in the future.  I think they will take advantage of this timing to make changes they were possibly looking at before.

It makes financial sense for Carnival to eventually bring back some version of FTTF.  We always purchased it whenever we could.  We finally reached platinum on our last cruise, so we enjoyed some of the perks.

If they keep letting platinums and diamonds check in earlier than everyone else, that helps.

• Like 1