Holland America Check in Issues

bobjoek

Today we have experienced the worst check in procedure on the Rotterdam in Port Everglades. We are on a B2B, and just completed the first week. On the turn around day we took a HAL sponsored shore excursion. Returning at 1:30 pm, it took one hour to rebound the ship, even with In Transit Passes. The lines were extremely long, and the security service, plus Holland America were poorly organized. As I stated earlier, we had In Transit Passes, which allowed bypassing check in, but we still had to go through security. The poor new guests had to endure an extra half hour before getting on the ship. Holland America needs to be much better prepared to expedite check in.

Bob

25 minutes ago, bobjoek said:

Today we have experienced the worst check in procedure on the Rotterdam in Port Everglades. We are on a B2B, and just completed the first week. On the turn around day we took a HAL sponsored shore excursion. Returning at 1:30 pm, it took one hour to rebound the ship, even with In Transit Passes. The lines were extremely long, and the security service, plus Holland America were poorly organized. As I stated earlier, we had In Transit Passes, which allowed bypassing check in, but we still had to go through security. The poor new guests had to endure an extra half hour before getting on the ship. Holland America needs to be much better prepared to expedite check in.

Bob

Is it possible there was some problem that created a delay? Clearing the ship?

57 minutes ago, bobjoek said:

As I stated earlier, we had In Transit Passes, which allowed bypassing check in, but we still had to go through security.

Why didn't you expect that you would still have to go through security when you returned from your tour?  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Is it possible there was some problem that created a delay? Clearing the ship?

1 hour ago, Sgwscruiser said:

How many passengers did you have on your first week on Board

That’s what I was thinking, especially if this wasn’t experienced when checking in the previous week. For example, the could have had an issue getting the computers up and running. 

I guess our expectations have changed .  As one vlogger said “the time to consider the ships our private mega yachts has passed”. I don’t consider a one hour wait terrible on a Sunday afternoon at Port Everglades.

I am sorry, but I disagree with several posters that dismissed the long and unorganized embark procedure last Sunday.  There were only two X-ray facilities manned with the third one empty.  Plus considerable delays were caused by the poorly manned Holland America check in stations.  Holland America knew how many guests would be on this cruise, and should have planned accordingly.  As I stated in my original post, we were in transit passengers that experienced a one hour delay, which is unacceptable.  With previous cruises as in transit passengers, we breezed through security.  The poor guests that needed to check in were blessed with a 1.5 hour delay.

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think port security is administered by HAL.  

That's irrelevant. I operate a multi-million dollar business and whether it is my direct employees or contractors I may utilize it is ultimately my responsibility. 

43 minutes ago, Laminator said:

That's irrelevant. I operate a multi-million dollar business and whether it is my direct employees or contractors I may utilize it is ultimately my responsibility. 

If they are federal employees? No one has control.  Can’t hurry up customs either.   Personally I don’t think an hour wait is a long wait for check in

• Like 2