Taxis in PV

TiogaCruiser

We’re going to be in PV for the full weekend on Zuiderdam in a couple weeks. We might want to use a taxi. A couple questions please:

1) Generally, are the taxis safe?

2) Is there anything about the taxis we should be aware of? ( such as how to know they are official).

3) About how much should we expect to pay to go to old town? 

Ok, so here is your primer on PV taxis.  The first thing to know is that there are two kinds of taxis, the so-called Federal taxis which pick-up only inside the Port and Airport.  They are somewhat more expensive and charge a per person price (which you should know before you get in those taxis).  These Federal taxis will take you anywhere, but are not permitted to pick-up passengers outside the two Federal Zones (port and airport).

Once you walk outside the Port area all the taxis are regular taxis (usually painted yellow or a white.  They charge per taxi (not per person) and you should always negotiate a price before you get in the taxi.  The drivers will take Pesos and usually US Dollars....but if you use dollars you may pay an extra premium which might cost you an extra couple of dollars.

All the taxis (Federal or the regular local) are licensed, safe, and clean.  

As to prices, the taxis will usually try to charge more money to cruisers so beware.  The real fares are, in theory, based on zones (there are no taxi meters).  Once you cross the Rio Cujale (which separates Centro (or downtown) to the Romantic Zone/Old Town you are moving into a new zone and the fares are slightly higher.  So, you can save about $50 Pesos (if you negotiate) by being dropped in Centro.  A popular drop spot is near the Rosita Hotel which is at the Northern end (the side closest to the port) of Centro and across the street from the beginning of the Malecon (Sea Wall) which is a pedestrian walk way that spans the area from just South of the Rosita all the way to the Rio Cujale (about 3/4 of a mile) and then continues a little way in the Romantic Zone (Old Town) until it ends at Olas Altos (Street).  At that point you can turn right, walk about a half block, and then you are on a walk way that goes along the beach lined with restaurants and a few hotels.  My suggestion is to pull up an online map and look at this geography.     If you do want a taxi to drop you in the Romantic Zone then you might want to give the driver a street name (such as Basilio Badillo) or a well known place such as the Sea Monkey (we live above this bar/restaurant).

Lastly you asked about price.  The Federal Taxis at the port used to charge about $5 per person into Centro but these days they might try to ask for more money.  A regular taxi outside the Port will probably settle for about $150 (Pesos) for the taxi (most can hold 3 or squeeze in 4 persons).  This year the taxis have really been trying to get higher fares (what else is new) but it is hard to blame the drivers since gas prices are up (in PV was about $22 Pesos a liter).  (Note that Pesos also use the dollar sign).  

By the way, getting a taxi back to the port is easy and there are usually taxis at various taxi parking areas scattered all over the city.  But again, negotiate a price before you get in the taxi.  Unless you are going somewhere outside of town you should never pay more than $200 (which is $10 US) and that would be a slight rip-off (i,e, gringo pricing).   My personal rule is that when a taxi is real honest and quotes me a reasonable price I will give him a nice tip ($50 Pesos is very generous).  If the driver tried to rip me off and I do not want to argue the price I might agree to his price and give him no tip!

All the taxis have their taxi numbers painted on the sides and are legit.  I have never seen an illegal taxi in PV (we have lived there 16 winters).   PV also has an active (and legal) Uber service and you can use the normal Uber App if you have a working phone.  Uber pricing is always changing and is sometimes a little less expensive then taxis and other times it can be about the same or even more expensive.  We have regularly used Uber for several years with no problems.   Most of the regular taxi drivers understand (and speak) some English.  With Uber we have found it is hit/miss with most speaking some English and some hardly knowing a word.

If you want a taxi to the Old Town and your driver does not understand "Old Town" just say "Zona Romantica."   What some call the Old Town (Viejo Vallarta) is also called the Romantic Zone (Zona Romantica).   One silly factoid is that Centro is probably older then the adjacent Old Town.  And by the way, the dividing line between Centro and the Old Town is the Rio Cujale.  In the middle of that River (which this time of year is like a creek) is an island which has some shops, small stands, and a few restaurants/bars.

Our community is actually very safe (especially during the daytime and early evening) but we do have some typical street crime...which means pick-pockets/purse snatchers.  So just like anywhere keep your valuables secure and always be alert to your surroundings.  Also count your change in restaurants and shops.  Credit Cards (Visa and MC) are widely accepted in shops and restaurants but there are also places that are cash only (they will often have a small handwritten sign near the entrance).  If you are going into a restaurant and plan on using a credit card be sure to make sure they will accept cards.   Within PV all the merchants will accept US Dollars but you will often not get the best exchange rate so paying with Pesos is often a little cheaper.   Many shops and some restaurants will have a small sign about their exchange rate.   The best rate has been about 20:1 this year (that is about what we get out of the ATMs) but many places will only give you about 18:1.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Please note as Hank also stated the sign for the mexican Peso is $. Confusing of course but when US$ are used it will tell you so. Indeed the exchange rate will not be so good. 

For maps and to check what portions of town are mentioned yóu can check this website: https://vallartainfo.com/

At the map Hotelzone you will see the cruise terminal on top. Continue on the other maps, on Southside old town you will see the Zona Romantica.

Unfortunately recently there are some scams going on like putting musterd on a persons clothes. Of course there will be some "friendly" persons offering their help to clean. Their help however is to get your creditcards/money etc. So never accept that help, just go to the nearest restaurant to clean yourself. Although a frequent "snowbird"in Vallarta for many years it even happened to us recently.

Donot let that scare you, Vallarta is absolutely  worth a visit and y will meet many nice mexicans and tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OMG Ine.  Sorry to hear you got caught up in that mustard scam.  We had another friend (single lady) expat who actually had an attractively dressed couple try that scam while she was walking on Basilio Badillo (a very popular Romantic Zone street) a few weeks ago.  She knew about the scam so when she saw the mustard on her top she started yelling for them to get away.  Since there were plenty of folks around she did frighten them off and did not lose anything.  Another lady friend had her wallet taken out of her backpack (while it was on her back).  So these street thieves are active (rumor has it that they are a group from the Guadalajara area.    We have seen this same scam in Europe for many years but now it has come to Mexico.

Hank

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

OMG Ine.  Sorry to hear you got caught up in that mustard scam.  We had another friend (single lady) expat who actually had an attractively dressed couple try that scam while she was walking on Basilio Badillo (a very popular Romantic Zone street) a few weeks ago.  She knew about the scam so when she saw the mustard on her top she started yelling for them to get away.  Since there were plenty of folks around she did frighten them off and did not lose anything.  Another lady friend had her wallet taken out of her backpack (while it was on her back).  So these street thieves are active (rumor has it that they are a group from the Guadalajara area.    We have seen this same scam in Europe for many years but now it has come to Mexico.

Hank

Since I right a way knew about the scam nothing really happened. DH was doubting but after saying it is musterd no bird poop also the guy who offered his help went away. This happened to us in the Marina when walking to a restaurant for dinner.  However some people donot know about this scam and lost creditcards and or money. Better be aware of this. 

Of course the week before and after Easter will be extreme busy due to Semana Santa I am sure it certainly will happen more often.

1 hour ago, Ine said:

Since I right a way knew about the scam nothing really happened. DH was doubting but after saying it is musterd no bird poop also the guy who offered his help went away. This happened to us in the Marina when walking to a restaurant for dinner.  However some people donot know about this scam and lost creditcards and or money. Better be aware of this. 

Of course the week before and after Easter will be extreme busy due to Semana Santa I am sure it certainly will happen more often.

Agree, but it occurs to me that many reading this thread are cruisers who might be soon making their first visit to PV :).  So I would emphasize that the PV street crime issues (i.e. pickpockets) are no better or worse than what we have experienced in our travels all over the world.  In fact, in 16 winters of living in one of the  busiest tourist areas of PV, we have never experienced any street crime.  I am out and about everyday during the winter (day and night)  and have no safety concerns other than getting hit by a bus (be careful when crossing streets).  That being said we would caution all cruisers to securely carry your valuables wherever you might go when in any port.  

Hank

• Like 1

Like I stated in an earlier port, people should not be scared, but warned. Vallarta is still a great and also safe place with many tourist and also many friendly mexicans . Be alert like in any other place in the world.

We were once pickpocketed in Istanbul just before our cruise, so yes it can happen at any place in the world. The musterd incident was the 1st time anything happened to us after staying here in winter for almost 20 years. We still enjoy our stay as before.

• Like 1

Hank and Ine - Thanks for the great info!  I read lots of info on the taxis, but hadn’t really thought about the Rio Cujale being the dividing point.  We’re planning on walking down the Malecon from the Rosita to the Isla Cujale, and then stopping for lunch and beach time at the Blue Shrimp.  I was planning on catching a taxi back to the ships from there, but maybe we’ll walk across a different bridge and get back across the river before we catch a taxi.   I’m assuming it’s still easy to find one down at that end of the Malecon?

Also - we’ll definitely keep an eye out for mustard bearers!

Edited by WAvoyager

6 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Hank and Ine - Thanks for the great info!  I read lots of info on the taxis, but hadn’t really thought about the Rio Cujale being the dividing point.  We’re planning on walking down the Malecon from the Rosita to the Isla Cujale, and then stopping for lunch and beach time at the Blue Shrimp.  I was planning on catching a taxi back to the ships from there, but maybe we’ll walk across a different bridge and get back across the river before we catch a taxi.   I’m assuming it’s still easy to find one down at that end of the Malecon?

Also - we’ll definitely keep an eye out for mustard bearers!

There is a taxi parking area very close to the Blue Shrimp.  You just walk a few feet to the main street (Olas Altas) and there are usually several taxis parked and waiting for your business.  As always, ask the price before you enter the taxi and, if you are paying in US Dollars, also mention this when getting the price (you will pay slightly more if using Dollars).   Expect the drivers to want about $200 (Pesos) to take you to the port although you might be able to get them to accept $150.  If there are no taxis at that corner (it is the beginning of the street...Olas Altas) I would suggest just waiting a few minutes and you will likely be rewarded with the arrival of several cabs (the taxis actually have assigned stations).  

Hank

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

During our port stop in PV this past January we got a taxi just outside the port area and paid $8.00 US to get to the Malecon. We paid the same fare to get us back to the Walmart across the street from the port.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, heckledtrio said:

When you take a taxi back to the cruise ship port, what should you tell the driver (if English is limited) so they get you to the right place? 

They will understand if you tell them cruise terminal.  Terminael de cruzeros. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:35 AM, Hlitner said:

There is a taxi parking area very close to the Blue Shrimp.  You just walk a few feet to the main street (Olas Altas) and there are usually several taxis parked and waiting for your business.  As always, ask the price before you enter the taxi and, if you are paying in US Dollars, also mention this when getting the price (you will pay slightly more if using Dollars).   Expect the drivers to want about $200 (Pesos) to take you to the port although you might be able to get them to accept $150.  If there are no taxis at that corner (it is the beginning of the street...Olas Altas) I would suggest just waiting a few minutes and you will likely be rewarded with the arrival of several cabs (the taxis actually have assigned stations).  

Hank

Thanks Hank!

Turns out my daughter caught some virus on the ship, and did not leave the room for the last half of the cruise, so we completely missed the PV stop.  😒

oh well - we’ll just have to plan another cruise next year.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 12:08 AM, Ashland said:

During our port stop in PV this past January we got a taxi just outside the port area and paid $8.00 US to get to the Malecon. We paid the same fare to get us back to the Walmart across the street from the port.

I am thinking of doing the same when we go in Oct.  Going, we just tell the driver "Malecon"?  And going back, just say "Walmart by the cruise terminal"?   Thank you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am thinking of doing the same when we go in Oct.  Going, we just tell the driver "Malecon"?  And going back, just say "Walmart by the cruise terminal"?   Thank you.

Yep, you are correct.  All the taxi drivers know those places well.  Don't forget to settle on a price before getting into the taxi.  Have fun!