Heads Up: Sky Princess Wifi has no wifi

On 3/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, billco said:

“It’s not every other stateroom, it’s not every third stateroom, it’s not only in the hallway and opening up the door,” Padgett continued. “It’s every public area, every guest area, every stateroom, every deck. There is no exception. I have complete confidence in it, anywhere in the world and any place on the ship.”

You can’t make this stuff up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

“It’s not every other stateroom, it’s not every third stateroom, it’s not only in the hallway and opening up the door,” Padgett continued. “It’s every public area, every guest area, every stateroom, every deck. There is no exception. I have complete confidence in it, anywhere in the world and any place on the ship.”

John Padgett did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/22/2022 at 5:41 PM, Centsless_Cruiser said:

Last week on the Majestic Princess CA Coastal the MedalionNet was nearly non functional most days (with occasional exceptions) perhaps there are some related issues with equipment or service providers?  I wonder if Princess (really Carnival Corp) might work with Elon Musk and switch to Starlink??

We were on that cruise and had no major issues...I was doing a live from with pictures and it worked well.

• Like 1

How is it going on the SKY?  Someone reported they read on FB there are 100 people in quarantine.

I do not have a FB account so can not research.  I hope you are staying well.

ETA:  I believe you are disembarking today.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

On 3/26/2022 at 6:48 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is pretty common with new WIFI setups. I work in a similar environment and this is how we have things setup. Though it ultimately depends on the internet the ship receives. If they don't receive internet or not enough - it doesn't help if there are access points in every room if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

How is it going on the SKY?  Someone reported they read on FB there are 100 people in quarantine.

On fb just now- Mike in Sky- some internet but it is suppose to improve tomorrow. Rachel’s parent on-board told her 650 positive this morning crew & passengers. 
just sharing what I read—-/ do not know first-hand. Sorry.

also they will not have to test & quarantine to disembark in Southampton, Monday 

Just off the Sky Princess, sitting in our hotel in London.

The internet problem really really sucked, and affected the whole trip. Our flight was canceled, but we were not able to rebook due to the lack of internet. We were not able to use the Medallion for anything but opening our door after the first week. Eventually they took the app offline entirely. 

Room TV fritzed out regularly and the ship’s location and weather pages didn’t work much of the time. 

Guest Services used the guilt trip method of “we don’t have internet either” to dealing with upset guests. They just didn’t care. 

It’s 2022. People aren’t always afforded the luxury of unplugging in this day and age. A 16 day absence from home requires some communications. Princess dropped the ball in the worst way on this - and then chose to remain oblivious to the challenges it created for so many guests.

Grrrrrr. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Disembarking today, going straight to a hotel to isolate for 10 days. CDC rules for flights back to US. Husband tested positive on Saturday. Moved to isolation deck then. Not sure how many cases - but definitely many! Medical and passenger services swamped. Masks made mandatory everywhere in the ship as of Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, lexlove5 said:

Disembarking today, going straight to a hotel to isolate for 10 days. CDC rules for flights back to US. Husband tested positive on Saturday. Moved to isolation deck then. Not sure how many cases - but definitely many! Medical and passenger services swamped. Masks made mandatory everywhere in the ship as of Friday.

I am so very sorry to hear this.  It must be difficult dealing with this so far away from home.  I hope you stay well.

46 minutes ago, TXcruiser13 said:

Just off the Sky Princess, sitting in our hotel in London.

The internet problem really really sucked, and affected the whole trip. Our flight was canceled, but we were not able to rebook due to the lack of internet. We were not able to use the Medallion for anything but opening our door after the first week. Eventually they took the app offline entirely. 

Room TV fritzed out regularly and the ship’s location and weather pages didn’t work much of the time. 

Guest Services used the guilt trip method of “we don’t have internet either” to dealing with upset guests. They just didn’t care. 

It’s 2022. People aren’t always afforded the luxury of unplugging in this day and age. A 16 day absence from home requires some communications. Princess dropped the ball in the worst way on this - and then chose to remain oblivious to the challenges it created for so many guests.

Grrrrrr. 

Sounds frustrating!  

I feel very fortunate that we both got clean test results. We are flying back home tomorrow am. 

Some advice to those who tested positive: Princess doesn’t care what you do the moment you leave their ship. Pick your own hotel, test daily if possible, and then go home the day you have a negative result. There’s no law that you must stay 10 days!!!!!

Edited by TXcruiser13

On 3/27/2022 at 6:34 AM, Coral said:

This is pretty common with new WIFI setups. I work in a similar environment and this is how we have things setup. Though it ultimately depends on the internet the ship receives. If they don't receive internet or not enough - it doesn't help if there are access points in every room if that makes sense.

Except availability "anywhere in the world" should include the Atlantic Ocean.

• Haha 1

Don't get me started about the lack on internet on Sky. I've spent the last 4 hours contacting clients and apologizing for not replying to their emails and calls. So, in addition to spending my time in Funchal, Cadiz, Gibraltar and Lisbon working, I am now working in my hotel room instead of seeing the English countryside.

• Like 1

We just booked the Sky for November. We also got the package. There may be something wrong with the system. I have rarely seen good internet onboard however. Having worked with satellite systems for many years I know what a challenge they are on dry land. Add a rocking ship to the equation and I am surprised they work. A satellite antenna is a precision device. It must be pointed precisely at the satellite. If the ship rocks, even a little, the antenna must move to compensate. The antenna can't anticipate so its movement is always in response to ship movement. This creates a gap in signal. If the seas are rough then forget it and find something else to do.  

Edited by TullMan