Internet App. Price on Embarkation Day?

Ronnieslady

Does anyone know the answer if this  is right.   I thought there was a topic on this a couple of months back.  Maybe the end of last year.  I thought on the very 1st boarding day only , they will give you the same package price for the internet that is on the App..   Maybe for people that could not get into the App. to still get the same  deal .   That way we could use our OBC. 
I am really hoping for a for sure answer from someone that actually did sign up on embarkation day & was told YES ,you could get the same App. price for that day only.       I know some of you experts will know.   I tried to find the older topic here on the forum, but I couldn’t find it. 

Thanks, I appreciate any knowledge about this

If you are not booking a cabin that comes with all the amenities, wifi, tips, beverage package, you can go to the internet cafe on embarkation day and the techs there will set you up. Yes you can use OBC, as the price of the wifi for the week will be added to your account then deducted from your OBC.  The techs will get you up and running.  Cheers and have fun

I was able to purchase it by calling Princess when I could not get the app to work before my August cruise on the Majestic. Some people have reported getting the same prepurchase price on the first day, but others have reported that they had to pay the higher rate. It's another one of those things that are not consistent from ship to ship. 

From my understanding, because the app was not working correctly for pre-purchase of the internet, an allowance was made for purchase on embarkation day on the ship at the pre-cruise rate.  That "might" still be the case, but as the app seems to be working now, it may not stay that way long term.  I would buy it pre-cruise just to be safe.  If you cant get the app to work - update the medallion app = it worked for me.  And as has already been mentioned, you can call Princess and the rep can do it for you.

I know it is more appealing to wait until onboard so you can use up OBC. but you might end up paying the higher daily rate.

Don

I went to the internet cafe on boarding day to buy the 7 day package and was told it was full price unless purchased pre cruise. I told the tech I do not use an App or smart phone pre cruise and he gave me the 50% price. He told me next time to call Princess and get it put on my booking if I want the discount. 

53 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

but as the app seems to be working now,

Per MC tech support: there's a 'large number' of Elite / Platinum that are not recognized as such by the app. Per Loyalty Office MC App has a glitch. Apparently Suites are not ignored? At any rate, it's not universally working. I have 2 fix-it tickets going but they aren't communicating (1- tech support,  1- loyalty office support)

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I went to the internet cafe on boarding day to buy the 7 day package and was told it was full price unless purchased pre cruise. I told the tech I do not use an App or smart phone pre cruise and he gave me the 50% price. He told me next time to call Princess and get it put on my booking if I want the discount. 

It looks like it’s another one of those maybe or probably not depending on who you get & what kind of mood they are in or depending on what ship. Sure wish Princess would be more consistent .

After asking and getting conflicting answers, I just purchased internet on the app. (Iphone - updated app first)  I did the math and I'd still need more OBC for tips etc than I had (no Princess Plus) so it made sense to go with the known entity. The full week for 1 device is $35. For 4 devices it's $70. We are Platinum. That's 50% off the posted price that non Platinum/Elite pay. One thing I was told is that internet, if you bought it when you boarded, would be $7.50 a day. That's $52.50 a week, but I could use my OBC for that purchase. Or I could pay the full discounted amount now and get half back in OBC later. (That has changed since the app allows the purchase for Platinum now). This should not be so difficult. Still not sure about the onboard prices. Sounds fishy that it's so much more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

This is complete BS by that IT Mgr (or perhaps it was just a helper who knows nothing).  Eligible guests get 50% off all internet purchases.  The only question should be if they manage to get the pre-cruise pricing on Day 1. 

I think Princess is going to have to keep that policy going longer (pre-cruise pricing on Day 1).  The MC App is updated now to only charge the net 50% cost pre-cruise, but some guests are discovering that the MC App doesn't recognize their true CC Member Level.  More bugs in guest profile or data conversion from POLAR.

1 hour ago, cruisingram1 said:

After asking and getting conflicting answers, I just purchased internet on the app. (Iphone - updated app first)  I did the math and I'd still need more OBC for tips etc than I had (no Princess Plus) so it made sense to go with the known entity. The full week for 1 device is $35. For 4 devices it's $70. We are Platinum. That's 50% off the posted price that non Platinum/Elite pay. One thing I was told is that internet, if you bought it when you boarded, would be $7.50 a day. That's $52.50 a week, but I could use my OBC for that purchase. Or I could pay the full discounted amount now and get half back in OBC later. (That has changed since the app allows the purchase for Platinum now). This should not be so difficult. Still not sure about the onboard prices. Sounds fishy that it's so much more.

Yes, the on-board internet package prices are higher.  However, there is a policy in place that guests can get the pre-cruise price on Day 1 due to issues in MC App trying to pre-order and also difficulty in getting someone on the phone to take a phone order, etc. 

IDK how long this will last and it may have been inconsistent across ships, but it is definitely a customer service policy.  The MC App works now to apply the discount up-front.  So, Princess may decide to drop that Day 1 policy.  But no so fast methinks because it is now being revealed that many guests are not being recognized in MC App with their correct CC Member Level and therefore no discount is being applied.  What next I ask?

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, the on-board internet package prices are higher.  However, there is a policy in place that guests can get the pre-cruise price on Day 1 due to issues in MC App trying to pre-order and also difficulty in getting someone on the phone to take a phone order, etc. 

IDK how long this will last and it may have been inconsistent across ships, but it is definitely a customer service policy.  The MC App works now to apply the discount up-front.  So, Princess may decide to drop that Day 1 policy.  But no so fast methinks because it is now being revealed that many guests are not being recognized in MC App with their correct CC Member Level and therefore no discount is being applied.  What next I ask?

It seems like there’s never a clear cut answer.   I suppose not very many passengers have purchased internet packages upon boarding  on day one to give their experience.   Especially with so many passengers getting the Beverage Package. I’m still hoping for 1st. hand knowledge.

My thanks to everyone that responded so far.

Grace

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The MC App works now to apply the discount up-front. 

For some. Who should I contact / request written confirmation that I can buy at the discounted price onboard? I have a boatload of OBC so don't need more

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

For some. Who should I contact / request written confirmation that I can buy at the discounted price onboard? I have a boatload of OBC so don't need more

write Customer Relations and explain your situation (unable to purchase in MC App due to not recognizing member level and you would like confirmation that you can buy on board at pre-cruise price.  Use the email reply to show on board if you find it necessary.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

write Customer Relations and explain your situation (unable to purchase in MC App due to not recognizing member level and you would like confirmation that you can buy on board at pre-cruise price.  Use the email reply to show on board if you find it necessary.

Did that but all that got me was "if I buy at $69.83 now I might be able to get 50% back as refundable OBC onboard." Beginning to wonder if i even need wifi on a short (7 day) cruise with only 2 sea days

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Did that but all that got me was "if I buy at $69.83 now I might be able to get 50% back as refundable OBC onboard." Beginning to wonder if i even need wifi on a short (7 day) cruise with only 2 sea days

MIGHT???!!  Whoever wrote that is obviously uninformed.  What kind of a response is that?  Sheesh.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

MIGHT???!!  Whoever wrote that is obviously uninformed.  What kind of a response is that?  Sheesh.

Yep. The last 2 times 50% rebate as OBC was automatic. But maybe they've added a lot of newbies who are learning on the job 

So, generally speaking, a platinum member could get the internet package for $35 for a week?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to drop out of the premium package .....our fare is $800 lower if we drop the extras. I don't drink, husband does. I think we should go with dropping the extras and just pay the tips and drinks as we go. But was hoping to find out what the internet charge would be.....

@Cessna140EXACTLY!! That's why I'm not buying Princess Plus if I have OBC. Very little (next to no) OBC on my next cruise but $500 more if I add Princess Plus BUT::

101.5 Gratuities

35 .0 Internet

0000 trade mini bar for coffee program (latte drinker)

136.50 but have 170 OBC. 

Even if I bought a coffee card the Princess Plus isn't worth it. 

1000 OBC on the 2nd cruise / 400 on the 3rd. Guess I'll have another 35 on the 1st. 

But maybe I'll get that elusive blue medallion (have status corrected onboard but refuse sticker)

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Cessna140EXACTLY!! That's why I'm not buying Princess Plus if I have OBC. Very little (next to no) OBC on my next cruise but $500 more if I add Princess Plus BUT::

101.5 Gratuities

35 .0 Internet

0000 trade mini bar for coffee program (latte drinker)

136.50 but have 170 OBC. 

Even if I bought a coffee card the Princess Plus isn't worth it. 

1000 OBC on the 2nd cruise / 400 on the 3rd. Guess I'll have another 35 on the 1st. 

But maybe I'll get that elusive blue medallion (have status corrected onboard but refuse sticker)

Not sure I understand, but we don’t get the Princess Plus either because  we don’t drink alcohol & we get the Coffee package instead of mini bar & we have OBC to more than cover the gratuities & extra OBC  even on a 15 day cruise that’s why its a little frustrating that none of the extra OBC can go towards the internet. But at what price for the internet do  we end to paying if we purchase on day one I’m surprised more passengers are not concerned about this.

Edited by Ronnieslady

10 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

.... at what price for the internet do  we end to paying if we purchase on day one I’m surprised more passengers are not concerned about this.

I have added another 'open ticket' on this (MC support / loyalty office / customer service who confirmed that no matter what the other 2 say I will get 50% back as REFUNDABLE OBC just like last August & December). If I buy before boarding I pay $9.95 a day on my Visa. If I by after checking in I pay $7.50 a day charged to my OBC. In both cases I must pay for the entire voyage. The single day cost is $20 and (supposedly) no discount

Frankly I'm no longer going to go to bat. I tried.. The 1st cruise is only 7 days. The other 2 have more than enough OBC to swallow the extra $2.50pd