Must try drinks with the Premium PLUS package

thedarklord

We've all seen the list of cocktails that are included in the premium drinks package, my wife and I have made a healthy dent in that list in the past!
On our next cruise, we're going to try upgrading to Plus (it's only a 3-nighter, so a more cost sensible way of trying it out).
Anyone got any must try drinks they can recommend with the Plus package, we'd like to abuse the extra cost as much as possible!

• Like 2

Get the Silverado Cabernet Sauvignion with dinner if you like red wines.  As mentioned the Veuve Cliquot champagne.  And the Haven bartender encouraged me to get Zacapa 23 rum in my wife's Pina Colada - wow, what a game changer - so much more flavor!

• Like 2

Veuve Cliquot, fer shur!

However, if there are any French people around, you'd better pronounce it correctly. On my last cruise, I was in an elevator with a few other people and we were chatting about dinner and drinks. I mentioned that I had gotten to be a fan of Veuve, and two women in the elevator kind of snickered and one said to the other something in French about "Americans don't know how to pronounce Veuve Cliquot."

Don't care. 😝 As long as the bartender and waitstaff know what I mean, who cares? 🍾

Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KurtMo said:

.  And the Haven bartender encouraged me to get Zacapa 23 rum in my wife's Pina Colada - wow, what a game changer - so much more flavor!

I have to agree on this!  Loved Zacapa 23 in our drinks.  We were just on the Panama Canal sailing and were in Guatemala.  Did a tasting at House of Zacapa.  Ended up leaving with 6 bottles!   

The Haven bartenders will definitely know how to use your upgraded beverage package!  Just ask them for recommendations.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Ask for a double Zacapa 23 rum in any Rum drink. Think fruity, beach/pool drinks. They will look at you Funny until they see your card. That's a $55 drink in case you wonder. 🥰

Thanks, I’ll definitely give that a try, I’m very partial to fruity rum based drinks!

27 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

I have to agree on this!  Loved Zacapa 23 in our drinks.  We were just on the Panama Canal sailing and were in Guatemala.  Did a tasting at House of Zacapa.  Ended up leaving with 6 bottles!   

The Haven bartenders will definitely know how to use your upgraded beverage package!  Just ask them for recommendations.  Cheers!

Sadly not in the Haven on this cruise, I am going to miss the Haven bar though, the bartenders there are so good.

7 hours ago, KurtMo said:

Get the Silverado Cabernet Sauvignion with dinner if you like red wines. 

Silverado is really good.  Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon is much  better - especially the 2017.

td

• Like 1

I liked the Veuve, my wife preferred the Moet Chandon. They are comparable in price back home. The Moet you can get by the bottle with meals.

Zacapa 23 was great. I bought a bottle when I got home. 

Whistle pig is a definite.  As is the McCallan.

San Pellegrino or Aqua Pana with every meal. Don't listen to those that tell you the tap water is just fine (it is, but that's not the point).

I only hit Starbucks 2-3 times in a week. Usually got my fill of coffee at breakfast.

Lastly, push the envelope when it comes to the wines. Get every expensive one that's offered. At dinner, start with a bottle of Moet, and then your wife can order a bottle of white, while you order a bottle of red. Take the leftovers back to the room for a night cap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Premium Drinks for Dummies - NCL version 101

So what is the proper pronunciation of

Veuve Cliquot"

Ya - you can slur the words and the bartender knows what you mean and you aren't

even drunk or inebriated yet.

Something about velvet champagne ?

TL;DR

Actually, the word "Veuve"  translates to "widow." "Clicquot" is the name of the "house" that produces this champagne.

Pronunciation? VERV (soft-ish "R") KLEE-KOH.  I'VE also heard KLEE-KWAH.  If you are French,

(Madame Clicquot was the widow of the grandson of this "house." Francois died only 7 years after they were married. Madame is credited with major breakthroughs, creating the first known vintage champagne in 1810, and inventing the riddling table process to clarify champagne in 1816.)

I started drinking this on the first cruise I took without my DDH. (Dearly departed husband)

Anyhoooo

Cheers!

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 8:28 AM, Hutcha said:

San Pellegrino or Aqua Pana with every meal.

Once we had the Aqua Panna, my DW became a water snob for the rest of the week!  Probably drank 2 bottles at every meal! 😄

On 3/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, tuxala said:

Silverado is really good.  Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon is much  better - especially the 2017.

td

When you can find it on board. We had trouble getting it. My husband liked the Lucente Super Tuscan. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:13 AM, JustSomeLady said:

When you can find it on board. We had trouble getting it. My husband liked the Lucente Super Tuscan. 

The Oberon isn't bad. My favorite included in the premium plus is the banfi sangiovese - really tasty wine.

With the 40% off bottles for premium plus, if I'm really wanting good wine, I'll buy a bottle of Jordan Cab. Comes out to about $60. Costs double that or more in a nice restaurant so really not a bad deal (I paid $132 in Vegas last month)

Edited by chillyw