Good experience

jimbo1683

There is SO much negativity toward Princess in this forum, and so many people boasting about their seemingly bi-weekly cruises in penthouse suites which, as a new cruiser, is really offputting.

Here's my positive, slightly more down to earth experience: 

I booked my first cruise several months ago for May 2023 - a long way in advance but it is to celebrate a big birthday. We love the 7day itinerary and splashed out what we consider a vast amount of money on a club class mini suite with princess plus. We carefully researched the cabin we wanted and booked directly, including an excursion for one port. The booking experience worked just fine and I downloaded the app which seemed to work fine too - including the ability to already book speciality dining.

Fast forward to last week, I was browsing and noticed the price has dropped by about £500 and the current offer included $200 OBC and free parking at Southampton. I called Princess and not being sure whether the Vacation Planner number applied to me I tried it anyway. It was answered within 2 rings. I spoke to someone who was polite and friendly amd advised that a £100 fee would enable me to switch fares and she would have my cruise planner contact me. Later the same day I had an email from the planner saying as I had booked directly through the website she couldn't make the change but told me what to do.

I called the correct number and waited on hold for about 15 minutes - I was fully expecting to wait an hour from what I've read on here. I spoke to someone who was knowledgable, switched my fare for the fee, gave me the free parking code, secured me the same cabin I had originally booked and advised that the excursion would be refunded. Four days later I recieved the refund and logged back into my account to rebook the excursion. I was delighted that I was able to put the $200 OBC toward the cost of the excursion, i wasn't expecting that.

So, I've had a great overall experience with Princess so far and super excited for the cruise.

Edited by jimbo1683
Typo
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

There is SO much negativity toward Princess in this forum, and so many people boasting about their seemingly bi-weekly cruises in penthouse suites which, as a new cruiser, is really offputting.

Here's my positive, slightly more down to earth experience: 

I booked my first cruise several months ago for May 2023 - a long way in advance but it is to celebrate a big birthday. We love the 7day itinerary and splashed out what we consider a vast amount of money on a club class mini suite with princess plus. We carefully researched the cabin we wanted and booked directly, including an excursion for one port. The booking experience worked just fine and I downloaded the app which seemed to work fine too - including the ability to already book speciality dining.

Fast forward to last week, I was browsing and noticed the price has dropped by about £500 and the current offer included $200 OBC and free parking at Southampton. I called Princess and not being sure whether the Vacation Planner number applied to me I tried it anyway. It was answered within 2 rings. I spoke to someone who was polite and friendly amd advised that a £100 fee would enable me to switch fares and she would have my cruise planner contact me. Later the same day I had an email from the planner saying as I had booked directly through the website she couldn't make the change but told me what to do.

I called the correct number and waited on hold for about 15 minutes - I was fully expecting to wait an hour from what I've read on here. I spoke to someone who was knowledgable, switched my fare for the fee, gave me the free parking code, secured me the same cabin I had originally booked and advised that the excursion would be refunded. Four days later I recieved the refund and logged back into my account to rebook the excursion. I was delighted that I was able to put the $200 OBC toward the cost of the excursion, i wasn't expecting that.

So, I've had a great overall experience with Princess so far and super excited for the cruise.

Wonderful!!

happy for you and I hope all goeSs well 

Glad that you had a good experience. 

We did the same with a Princess cruise last October,  and again with a forthcoming cruise in May this year.  On both occasions we transferred to a better cabin at a lower cost.

However,  we use a well known speciality UK cruise TA (not one that advertises in the Sunday papers!) and they take care of everything,  with no need to spend ages  on the phone.

One lesson to be learnt,  is that it is not worth booking early with Princess,  unless you are determined to have a specific cabin.

I have a sneaking suspicion that in six months time,  your cabin will be even cheaper ! 

• Like 1

My experiences are just like yours!  Of course adjustments due to UK rules vs USA rules. I use a dedicated Princess vacation planner. I email him with price drops, cabin change requests and once  he even called the Princess Gods and booked my preferred dining and boarding times for a cruise I was having trouble with on the ap.  I’ve NEVER waited on hold since using him (5 plus years) If my email request  requires he speak to me he simply phones me. All of these issues are ALWAYS taken care of same day (of course given that I did not email at the close of the day). 

Princess customer service is exemplary. Some on this board don’t agree. I do not discredit that some have had some truly disturbing issues.  I believe they are the minority of the totality of Princess cruisers. 

Statistically speaking (yes I’ve the degree and credentials to say so) with regards to customer service  unhappy people post while in general those that are happy do not. Nice thread thanks for starting it!  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My experiences are just like yours!  Of course adjustments due to UK rules vs USA rules. I use a dedicated Princess vacation planner. I email him with price drops, cabin change requests and once  he even called the Princess Gods and booked my preferred dining and boarding times for a cruise I was having trouble with on the ap.  I’ve NEVER waited on hold since using him (5 plus years) If my email request  requires he speak to me he simply phones me. All of these issues are ALWAYS taken care of same day (of course given that I did not email at the close of the day). 

Princess customer service is exemplary. Some on this board don’t agree. I do not discredit that some have had some truly disturbing issues.  I believe they are the minority of the totality of Princess cruisers. 

Statistically speaking (yes I’ve the degree and credentials to say so) with regards to customer service  unhappy people post while in general those that are happy do not. Nice thread thanks for starting it!  

Enjoyed your Live posts from last season. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks for posting your positive experience because there has been more complaining lately about the customer service.  I do everything through my travel agent, don't book specialty restaurants until I'm onboard (if at all).   My upcoming cruise, I managed to use my new android phone to load the app but I'll have to have some help at check-in probably.  I'm not going to call or stress over it.

I certainly hope you enjoy your cruise, not everyone sails in great cabins.  I'm usually in an inside cabin, except Royal class, sometimes an obstr. balcony.   I sail single so paying double, inside cabins for me.   Thanks again for posting positive vibes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

Enjoyed your Live posts from last season. Thanks for sharing. 

You’re welcome. Thanks for the kind words. I’ve met so many people while on subsequent cruises that read those first back to sailing live froms. It’s great to hear how those posts helped. I still can’t believe I flew to Seattle by myself and got on that very first post pandemic sailing. I had never negotiated a flight/luggage/transport solo before that trip. Let alone no one really knew what would happen in practice with regards to covid and quarantine and so on. 

To my point earlier the complaint threads stay on page one while this positive thread went to page 3 in 13 hours. Happy sailing. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m glad you have had a good experience.

And no we don’t all sail in the penthouse (I certainly don’t) but your point is well made: it sometimes sounds like it on here and other boards.

Ha, so true. If I had a nickel for every post that begins with those famous words, "I'm Elite on Princess..." Well, you know, I could stay in one of those Penthouse suites. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1