Will Celebrity Cancel Solstice Asia Season 2022???? Have concerns

cruiseerf

RCL has cancelled their Asian cruises and moved their ships to Europe.  Princess announced they are cancelling their Asia season and perhaps AU as well.  Celebrity has ONE ship, the Solstice, Supposed to cross from Vancouver to Japan.   Japan still remains Covid closed, as does HKG and all Chinese ports....Korea is highly restrictive, Singapore just opened(for now) and Thailand still has one day of quarantine and testing on day 5.  There are limited flight schedules in and out of Asia as Cathay has cut 90% of their flight schedule and other Asian airlines are trying "not to fly empty".   Celebrity will soon need to ship their "Food Containers" with dry goods to meet the solstice in Asia...so they will need to make a decision soon.  I am on several of these and will be heavily impacted, however I wish they would make a decision, offer compensation or lift and shifting, if this is the case, as it leaves thousands of us hanging with this giant "Maybe".  

What have you heard?   And please not from the person on the 800 # reading from a script which says "Of course the cruise is not cancelled".......Until it is ;)))))))  

That's the million dollar question for us as well. We're on the Dec 23rd Solstice sailing which was double lifted and shifted from Dec 2020 although Millennium was supposed to do that 14 night sailing back then. 

We still are hopeful, but we're also prepared for yet another lift and shift. 

Princess is not cancelling Australian cruises. One Princess ship will be arriving in June to commence a winter season. Princess does not usually sail in AU waters this time of year. That's a great sign for Ausdie cruisers.

Edited by Bizziecruzer
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Princess is not cancelling Australian cruises. One Princess ship will be arriving in June to commence a winter season. Princess does not usually sail in AU waters this time of year. That's a great sign for Ausdie cruisers.

This is about Asia cruises and not Australia.

It's to early to know, but looking at the current trends Japan will eventually open up as well by around summer +- however with China / Hong Kong I am not so sure. Then again, who knows how COVID develops etc, hence longer term planing is still not possile especially in these regions of the world, hence a Plan B sure is not a bad idea.

Yes!  I am in agreement however plan B would be better if we know where the Solstice was going to be?  And we are loathe to place more deposits as the cruises hopefully might go.....Always HOPE!  If solstice goes, it will be one of the only American lines sailing in Asia, besides the small luxury ones etc.  However if they move Solstice to the Caribbean, then perhaps there is new opportunity there 😉...I only hope they make the decision sooner rather than later. 

As an aside....Princess has one ship out of AU.....However they had another popping down from Asia on some crossover itineraries and that is what Princess Cancelled..... FYI text below.

Sapphire Princess, and the vessel will instead be returning to service in the United States.

The ship was scheduled to begin cruises between Hong Kong and Australia on August 28, 2022, and then reposition to Los Angeles, California on November 17.

Now, Sapphire Princess will be forgoing its Asia and Australia schedule and restart sailings early from the U.S. on June 25, 2022. This means that all voyages on the ship from August 28 to October 29 are canceled.

Edited by cruiseerf

I'll be watching this space carefully.  We're on Solstice around Japan in April and also the following transpacific back to Vancouver.  I was just getting ready to think about flights over and pre-cruise hotels, but I think I'll hold off for now.  

I noticed that HAL is still showing the Westerdam heading over, and will be paying attention to that as well.  With all the cruises I've booked and cancelled over the past two years, it seems like HAL and Celebrity are always the last two to throw in the towel.  

I see that Princess still shows Diamond sailing in Asia from March 2023, but isn't that a dedicated ship for the Asian market?  Same for Spectrum of the Seas which is currently sailing around China and Singapore, correct?  I wonder how those cruises are faring?  I just don't know how much longer the cruise lines will be able to hang on.  

That said, we're doing our part by leaving next week on Edge for our first cruise since Infinity in February 2020, and hoping for the best!

Which RCCL ships were scheduled to be in Asia?  I am still seeing bookings available on the Spectrum of the Sea.  Were  there other ships scheduled?  I have been trying to find information on the RCCL canceled cruises and have not been able to find anything.

We booked Solstice Dec 11 and I really have my doubts it will happen. You should be able to see shore excursion listings by now and nothing comes up.  I tried to ask Celebrity about this and they are pretty much playing dumb.  Hope we can get our non-refundable FCC extended.  No other itinerary appeals to me and can't sail any other time this year anyway.

• Like 1

Our Feb Hong Kong to Japan cruise is listing shore excursions for Japan - They are not showing any excursions in Hong Kong - Hoping they change the itinerary and this becomes a Japan only cruise - Really just hoping this happens at all - We've made return flight reservations from Tokyo - But I've also booked plan B which is a trip to Machu Pichu just in case..

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, kayakcove said:

Just looked on Celebrity site and Solstice sailing for Asia are not showing up at all.  Booked on October 14 sailing, is still showing in my bookings.  

Our Dec 23 Solstice sailing does not appear either.

I was feeling better for our Transpacific Cruise to Japan in September because they just put out excursions for Japan this week. Now you have me worried again.  It is a mostly sold out ship so will be interested to see if this goes.  This is our 3 time trying to go on this cruise.  Louise

My booking for Japan October 14th still shows but I am starting to doubt whether it is happening. I think that the whole Covid thing is just too unstable in Asia.

This trip was a future cruise credit from a cancelled Galapagos cruise back in 2019, cancelled again in 2020 and then I rescheduled to this from a Feb. 2022 Galapagos booking. 

To be honest, with the way things are, I am not too bothered if it has been cancelled - I would rather do it when the Covid thing has died down, it’s just too stressful with the thought of flying from the Uk and all the testing that is inevitable.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The Solstice Japan/Asia season is cancelled.  The ship will be re-positioned to the Mexican Riviera.  Lift & Shift option email should be coming in the next few days. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The Solstice Japan/Asia season is cancelled.  The ship will be re-positioned to the Mexican Riviera.  Lift & Shift option email should be coming in the next few days. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Any idea what the lift and shift options are usually?  We just moved our October sailings to next year and I want to see if they will honor the lift and shift.  

23 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Any idea what the lift and shift options are usually?  We just moved our October sailings to next year and I want to see if they will honor the lift and shift.  

The quick answer - without any detail - is they'll be allowing lift & shift to 2023/24 sailings on both Solstice and Millennium. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

From Celebrity:

We are contacting you to provide an update on the status of your client's 2022/23 cruise vacation. Due to the ongoing uncertainty regarding the restart of international operations in the Asia region, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our Celebrity Solstice sailings in this part of the world and will be relocating the ship to the Mexican Riviera. As a result, we will be canceling all Celebrity Solstice Asia sailings currently scheduled to depart September 16, 2022 through April 21, 2023.

At this time, we would like to offer your clients the choice of being re-accommodated on another Celebrity Cruises vacation or receiving a 100% Refund. For your convenience, here is a summary of compensation options:

From now through May 12, your clients have the option to Lift and Shift their existing cruise vacation plans in Asia to a specified 2023/24 Celebrity Solstice or Celebrity Millennium Asia sailing. Please contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or 1-316-554-5961 worldwide for alternate sailing options and we'll shift the reservation including any promotion currently on the booking.

If your clients are unable to rebook by May 12, they will automatically receive a 100% refund to their original method of payment. Refunds will be received at least 30 days after cancellation. Cruise taxes and fees would be refunded separately. Please note, any reservations paid with a Future Cruise Credit will not be eligible for a cash refund, however, your client's Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated. No action is required on your part to receive this refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, omeinv said:

The quick answer - without any detail - is they'll be allowing lift & shift to 2023/24 sailings on both Solstice and Millennium. 

Harris

Denver, CO

If they use the same language as last time it will be that you can Lift and Shift to a 2023/24 sailing within four weeks of your originally scheduled departure.

44 minutes ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

From Celebrity:

We are contacting you to provide an update on the status of your client's 2022/23 cruise vacation. Due to the ongoing uncertainty regarding the restart of international operations in the Asia region, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our Celebrity Solstice sailings in this part of the world and will be relocating the ship to the Mexican Riviera. As a result, we will be canceling all Celebrity Solstice Asia sailings currently scheduled to depart September 16, 2022 through April 21, 2023.

At this time, we would like to offer your clients the choice of being re-accommodated on another Celebrity Cruises vacation or receiving a 100% Refund. For your convenience, here is a summary of compensation options:

From now through May 12, your clients have the option to Lift and Shift their existing cruise vacation plans in Asia to a specified 2023/24 Celebrity Solstice or Celebrity Millennium Asia sailing. Please contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or 1-316-554-5961 worldwide for alternate sailing options and we'll shift the reservation including any promotion currently on the booking.

If your clients are unable to rebook by May 12, they will automatically receive a 100% refund to their original method of payment. Refunds will be received at least 30 days after cancellation. Cruise taxes and fees would be refunded separately. Please note, any reservations paid with a Future Cruise Credit will not be eligible for a cash refund, however, your client's Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated. No action is required on your part to receive this refund.

Thank you for posting this information.  This will be our 3rd Lift & Shift from what was originally the Dec 20, 2020 14 night Millennium.

• Like 1