Ship in Bermuda

babbet1962

31 minutes ago, msuspartabigten said:

That webcam is at the naval dockyard, not the cruise ship docks. 

No, that is the same pier where most of the cruise ships dock - has been for years  Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, etc. all dock there.  We've docked there on all of our Bermuda cruises.  It is Kings Warf and is located at the old naval dockyard.  (Only the smaller ships are able to dock in Hamilton or St. George, and they now are far and few between).

As indicated, The ship at that pier currently is a Royal Canadian Naval supply ship named Asterix, according to googling the ship as shown on the Bermuda Webcam.

My guess is as it is out of season for cruise ships, this vessel is using the pier based on it's size for whatever purpose has it in Bermuda.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No, that is the same pier where most of the cruise ships dock - have been for years  Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, etc. all dock there.  We've docked there on all of our Bermuda cruises.  It is Kings Warf and is located at the old naval dockyard.  (Only the smaller ships are able to dock in Hamilton or St. George, and they now are far and few between).

As indicated, The ship at that pier currently is a Royal Canadian Naval supply ship named Asterix, according to googling the ship as shown on the Bermuda Webcam.

My guess is as it is out of season for cruise ships, this vessel is using the pier based on it's size for whatever purpose has it in Bermuda.

Good to know, thanks. I was just looking at the ship map and saw it was the naval dockyard and it appeared there was a different cruise ship port on the map. I haven't been to Bermuda before. 

7 minutes ago, msuspartabigten said:

Good to know, thanks. I was just looking at the ship map and saw it was the naval dockyard and it appeared there was a different cruise ship port on the map. I haven't been to Bermuda before. 

No problem - it can be confusing as that, as indicated, is the old naval dockyard.  It was revamped a number of years ago with the long pier now that can handle two large cruise ships simultaneously.  The section where that ship currently is located is typically used by RCCL / Celebrity.  And the section above that is typically used by NCL.  

Bermuda is a great island - one of our favorite to visit and have been there about 10 times, both with land a cruise vacations.  I would recommend going there one day if you have the opportunity and interest.  Most cruises there dock for 2-3 days at a time allowing a good sightseeing time while there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Bermuda is a great island - one of our favorite to visit and have been there about 10 times, both with land a cruise vacations.  I would recommend going there one day if you have the opportunity and interest.  Most cruises there dock for 2-3 days at a time allowing a good sightseeing time while there.

...and the sand at some of the beaches really IS pink! 

39 minutes ago, sullyd said:

That’s where the cruise ship parked when I was there last?

Se my post #11 in this thread.  Only the occasional few small ships dock in Hamilton or St. George.  All other cruise ships dock at Kings Warf which is the old Royal Naval Dockyard.  Have done so for years.  When were you there last?

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

...and the sand at some of the beaches really IS pink! 

It is from the pink coral.  It is a very fine dust that also finds its way to the road surfaces and makes them quite slick in a light rain, resulting in numerous tourist scooter accidents. 

Kings Wharf is the name of only one of the cruise ship berths at the Royal Naval Dockyard, the pier at which the ship in question in the original post is docked.

The other berth is Heritage Wharf. 

The correct name of the entire facility is still Royal Naval Dockyard despite it no longer being a naval facility.

Edited by njhorseman