Refugee from Crystal

Orator

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

Thinking about TA on Viking Neptune. My DW and I love lectures and entertainment. Is Viking a good fit?

Welcome to the Viking Board.

If you are considering the TA in December this year, we already have a Roll Call going, with pax boarding in Piraeus, Civitavecchia and Barcelona. We board in Barcelona, disembark in FLL and then re-board in L/A for the World Cruise, followed by UK/Scandinavia.

Lecturers - we find Viking's lecturers are excellent. All are extremely well qualified in the subject matter. They also manage them diligently, with lectures starting on time and lasting 45 mins. Some of the lecturers do host on Viking TV, so you may wish to check that out - https://viking.tv/

Viking also have a resident Historian onboard, who in addition to lectures, hosts small round table discussions and walks through the ship to view/discuss art. At times they also have a resident astronomer.

Entertainment - They have 4 singer/dancers, who perform the regular shows - Beattles, ABBA, etc. The Cruise Director & A/C/D also perform on the stage and they bring on the usual guest entertainers. They also have a classical duo, resident guitarist and resident pianist that play the various lounges throughout the ship. They also have the resident band and 2 vocalists, who play in the Theatre, Nightclub & Pool Deck, etc. By day the have daily trivia on sea days and a variety of crafts, arts and games. Being a longer cruise, the Cruise Director may also produce some additional solo shows.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Welcome to the Viking Board.

If you are considering the TA in December this year, we already have a Roll Call going, with pax boarding in Piraeus, Civitavecchia and Barcelona. We board in Barcelona, disembark in FLL and then re-board in L/A for the World Cruise, followed by UK/Scandinavia.

Lecturers - we find Viking's lecturers are excellent. All are extremely well qualified in the subject matter. They also manage them diligently, with lectures starting on time and lasting 45 mins. Some of the lecturers do host on Viking TV, so you may wish to check that out - https://viking.tv/

Viking also have a resident Historian onboard, who in addition to lectures, hosts small round table discussions and walks through the ship to view/discuss art. At times they also have a resident astronomer.

Entertainment - They have 4 singer/dancers, who perform the regular shows - Beattles, ABBA, etc. The Cruise Director & A/C/D also perform on the stage and they bring on the usual guest entertainers. They also have a classical duo, resident guitarist and resident pianist that play the various lounges throughout the ship. They also have the resident band and 2 vocalists, who play in the Theatre, Nightclub & Pool Deck, etc. By day the have daily trivia on sea days and a variety of crafts, arts and games. Being a longer cruise, the Cruise Director may also produce some additional solo shows.

On our TA last fall to BA, the CD and each of the ABBA singers gave their own shows.  It was quite interesting, as the individual shows were more geared to that person’s style.  

Also on the TA, they have streamed The Met Opera, which I don’t remember being streamed on other cruises.  One TA we saw Aida, another Turandot.  

• Like 2

We're also Crystal refugees, and we just returned from a Seabourn cruise. Although we had a good time, not likely we'll be sailing them again.    Looking seriously at Silversea & Viking.  The crew on Crystal was exceptional - that alsp applies to Seabourn, but there are certain aspects of the ship, and the corporate management, that we had an issue with. 

12 minutes ago, gwesq said:

We're also Crystal refugees, and we just returned from a Seabourn cruise. Although we had a good time, not likely we'll be sailing them again.    Looking seriously at Silversea & Viking.  The crew on Crystal was exceptional - that alsp applies to Seabourn, but there are certain aspects of the ship, and the corporate management, that we had an issue with. 

Crew on theViking ships are  outstanding. From the room stewards to  wait staff to bartenders all are excellent.  I have read the Crystal forum. You will love the  crew on Viking.  Book a cruise and see for yourself. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gwesq said:

Pre-COVID, the Viking crews were exceptional, as they are extremely well treated by the employer. Their average crew retention rate was 94%.

During the COVID shut down, Viking paid the crews a stipend, but many of them had other jobs, so were unavailable, when Viking resumed service. With many new crew, Viking service levels were reported to have dropped. This is further compounded by the rapid fleet expansion. Several the crew I know, have since returned to the ships, but others have elected to give up the seagoing life.

This year, Viking has 3 new ocean/expedition ships commencing operations, so the crewing challenges will remain, but I have no doubt Viking will attain their previous standard, as the Managers/Supervisors are all hands-on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Thinking about TA on Viking Neptune. My DW and I love lectures and entertainment. Is Viking a good fit?

A number of years ago, someone asked the members of this forum to "TELL ME WHY...I should try Viking."  A lot of people chimed in with answers and experience -- and post-Covid, the answers are still relevant.

Here's the link to the answers: Tell Me Why......  It is a long thread so I suggest reading until you have convinced yourself one way or another.

• Like 3

If it helps put in context, over on the Azamara board I’ve done an Azamara vs Viking comparison.  In our experience the speakers were the best we’ve ever had.  

The crew, although good in many cases, were not of the same standard.  

We had issues with service in the restaurant and pool cafe.  We had conversations with the various department managers and the general manager.  They wanted to build our experience in to some upcoming training.  They admitted they knew there were issues and it’s interesting to see on a Facebook group re the following cruise, the problems persist.  

Viking continue to expand rapidly which spreads the pool of good people thinner and thinner.  Our business is in developing people, what we saw was competent managers let down by some supervisors who didn’t understand the principles of effective supervision and as a result general staff either did well despite them or went dreadfully rogue.

• Like 3

We thought Viking was several steps below Crystal in service and food.

The ships are more modern but for us that was the only area where it beat Crystal. 
back to Luxury lines. If you expect Crystal you will be disappointed but if you lower

your expectations you will enjoy your cruise 

14 hours ago, gwesq said:

Viking & Silversea are excellent. Sailed with both several times. Silversea more formal, coat for dinner. Silver specialty restaurants have a $60 per person charge but include booze. Viking specialty restaurants are  included. Viking includes beer & wine at meals but liquor and specialty wine package costs $20pp/day, must buy for both occupants entire cruise. Silver stateroom and especially bathroom larger.

Edited by philw1776

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Considering a PV category. What are the advantages of a PV rather than a DV?

PV is bigger. 
It has a nice-sized couch as well as a chair.

Closet is more accessible.

More storage space. 
Daily free refills of small booze bottles in mini-fridge.

Free pressing of clothes.

Can reserve excursions and restaurants earlier.

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Book a PV for TA on Viking Neptune. Looking forward to trying Viking.

Congratulations. How to see you on the roll call.

Did you book for embarkation in Piraeus, Civitavecchia or Barcelona?