Zaandam first cruise since Covid

SusieO

We are sailing on the Zaandam, May 12 for 9 nights, Fort Lauderdale to Montreal.  Has anyone heard when she will leave wherever she is to begin her journey to Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks! 😊

Happy to hear she is coming back into service. She was our last HAL cruise, right before everything shut down March 2020.

A shout out to all those here,  whose comments persuaded us to take a non-landing Antarctic cruise, instead of the very expensive expedition cruises.

So glad we did this cruise, since at that time in 2020 we were able to go all the way down to Lemarie Channel - absolutely fantastic voyage on this very special HAL ship.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Happy to hear she is coming back into service. She was our last HAL cruise, right before everything shut down March 2020.

A shout out to all those here,  whose comments persuaded us to take a non-landing Antarctic cruise, instead of the very expensive expedition cruises.

So glad we did this cruise, since at that time in 2020 we were able to go all the way down to Lemarie Channel - absolutely fantastic voyage on this very special HAL ship.  

We also did the non-landing cruise on the Zaandam a few years back.  It was one of our top 5 cruises. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We also did the non-landing cruise on the Zaandam a few years back.  It was one of our top 5 cruises. 

Agree and the Zaandam was a perfect ship for such a cruise.

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

we were able to go all the way down to Lemarie Channel

Were you able to sail through the Channel?  That was the plan for when I was on the Zaandam, but, there was too much ice in the Channel and the Ice Pilot and Captain felt unwise to attempt to sail through the waterway.  Nonetheless, it was a spectacular scenic area!  

• Like 2

I just noticed that on  the app I use to track ships, the Zaandam appears to have moved to a different drydock. It was out of drydock for a few days, but now appears to have returned to a different, but nearby drydock in Cadiz. 

Edited by seatrial

I have also signed up to be on the Zaandam for the May 12-21 cruise to Montreal, and I can hardly wait.  It is a fun route.  I sailed that route in late May in 2019; enjoyed it, but was not prepared for the cold weather.  This time I will bring ample clothing.  Hope to meet you then.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JessWright said:

I have also signed up to be on the Zaandam for the May 12-21 cruise to Montreal, and I can hardly wait.  It is a fun route.  I sailed that route in late May in 2019; enjoyed it, but was not prepared for the cold weather.  This time I will bring ample clothing.  Hope to meet you then.  

Hope to meet you, too!  I am packing as I do for an Alaskan cruise…layers. 😊

8 hours ago, semibeater said:

Just finished dry dock in Cadiz Spain and has moved to Cadiz cruise port to bring on crew. Should be leaving for USA In April after some sea trials. No passengers on TA to FLL.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, DataDon said:

Any idea what was done to her during this dry dock?

I have previously posted what was to be done based on the information I read in Cruise Industry News.  Much work including interior refurbishments as well as mechanical and work on the hull.  Maybe a search of my posts might provide you with the list.  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, seatrial said:

I just noticed that on  the app I use to track ships, the Zaandam appears to have moved to a different drydock. It was out of drydock for a few days, but now appears to have returned to a different, but nearby drydock in Cadiz. 

I noticed that, too.  Odd that Zaandam would come out of drydock for a few days, get fueled up (I noticed a bunker ship next to her for much of a day), and then enter a different drydock in the same city.  Then again, as of now, it looks like the Carnival Breeze is being staged to perhaps enter the first drydock where Zaandam had been located.  So maybe that is a bigger drydock and they needed to make room for the bigger Carnival ship scheduled to arrive soon.  Or maybe different types of work being performed (hull painting vs. other work).  I'm really not sure, but curious. 

But, I suspect that as long as she leaves the Cadiz area by late April she can get to Port Everglades in time for her first scheduled cruise as part of the re-start.

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have previously posted what was to be done based on the information I read in Cruise Industry News.  Much work including interior refurbishments as well as mechanical and work on the hull.  Maybe a search of my posts might provide you with the list.  

Is this the post you mentioned as to what was planned for both Volendam and Zaandam in drydock?

Edited by Modern_Viking
  • Like 1

It looks like Zaandam has left Cadiz, Spain for Port Everglades, and is expected to arrive on Thursday, April 14.  I'm guessing she might subsequently anchor out in the Bahamas for a while between then and her first scheduled passenger carrying cruise May 12.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, JessWright said:

Jess Wright; I am thinking clothes like what we take to Alaska; layers.  See you on the ship!

Edited by SusieO
Double post

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. The Zaandam is indeed in Port Everglades. I stopped by to see her on my way to work. It's nice to see her and the hull paint looks nice and new. The QM2 is also in Port Everglades today.

jmuimage1.jpg

jmuimage2.jpg

jmuimage3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look up which HAL ship was in the Princess dock (PE T#2) when I got home from Publix earlier.

I also had to look up the QM2 because I swore that the stack looked orange. (What kind of old guy condition causes a yellow color shift? I checked my eyes and I'm not jaundiced. :classic_unsure:)

47 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I also had to look up the QM2 because I swore that the stack looked orange. (What kind of old guy condition causes a yellow color shift? I checked my eyes and I'm not jaundiced. :classic_unsure:)

First post-cataract surgery shock was noticing the world was not sepia-toned after all.

It was like moving from an incandescent lighted room to an LED lighted room. Trees in fact were green; not chartreuse. I kind of missed the soft tones for a while. So that is an "old gal" condition. But the incredible improvement in visual acuity was well worth the "yellow shift" loss.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes

Does this mean the furnishings in the rooms and public spaces will be refreshed as well? 

We will be taking a New England cruise this summer and all the ship tour videos are from years ago - ship appears a bit “aged” in decor.