Embarkation Test Now Required 24 Hours Prior

Pardon the rant….slightly frustrated with Regent today.  Regent just notified us last night that for our April 10 embarkation from Miami that the testing requirement has changed to (antigen) 24 hours prior to boarding and not 48 hours. We are flying in from Canada a day before the cruise and will also need a test to enter the US 24 hours before the flight. So now we need 2 tests, one for the flight and another one to board the ship. Inconvenient to say the least as we will now need to find a test in Miami the day before boarding.  Regent still charging $99 at the pier for testing, which I think they should now be waiving this fee given the last minute change.  Called Regent to verify and they confirmed the change but could not explain the reason for the change. Somehow I thought restrictions were loosening, not getting worse! 

• Like 1

PCR option will not work for us as we are flying in from Canada. The US requires an antigen test 24 hours before the flight. If we did a PCR 24 hours in advance then we might not have the results in time for the flight (and I’m not paying +$300pp for the faster PCR option).  Therefore, we need to now do two separate antigen tests.  Not sure if Regent has given full consideration to the impacts on travellers from out of country.

I believe we will do the second test when we arrive at MIA airport as they have 2 Covid walk in test clinic within the airport.  Not ideal…but necessary.  

This is strange and disappointing.  The Regent website is still saying this

"All guests are required to complete a COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunprince said:

That’s great if you are home to do that….but when travelling it’s a problem!

I would just take the test kit with you, I believe you can do the test in front of your camera on your phone. 

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

This is strange and disappointing.  The Regent website is still saying this

"All guests are required to complete a COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal for cruises beginning in a U.S. port or within 72 hours for all other cruises."

This is exactly why I called Regent today.  The website said 48 hours and the email said 24 hours. The problem is….they sent out the new requirement via email after close of business on a Friday night. Today (Sat), there is only reservation staff working and they had no clue, telling me my 48 hours test to board the flight was fine for embarkation.  I had to read the email to them and then after multiple holds got a guy who could not have cared less. He just said “the new requirement is valid…and this is Covid, things are evolving”. My question is….why send this information out to guests on a Friday night when no one is available or knowledgeable about the change? And only 8 days prior to embarkation!  Also btw, we now need a Covid test to leave the ship when we dock in Vancouver….why wait until now to tell us this?

Edited by Sunprince

56 minutes ago, LvnCruisin said:

I would just take the test kit with you, I believe you can do the test in front of your camera on your phone. 

At this point, we would never receive the test kit via mail in time for departure. If Regent advised us earlier then maybe this would be an option but this type of test option is not preferred (here in Canada), an in person pharmacy based one is much preferred, 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

This is exactly why I called Regent today.  The website said 48 hours and the email said 24 hours. The problem is….they sent out the new requirement via email after close of business on a Friday night. Today (Sat), there is only reservation staff working and they had no clue, telling me my 48 hours test to board the flight was fine for embarkation.  I had to read the email to them and then after multiple holds got a guy who could not have cared less. He just said “the new requirement is valid…and this is Covid, things are evolving”. My question is….why send this information out to guests on a Friday night when no one is available or knowledgeable about the change? And only 8 days prior to embarkation!  Also btw, we now need a Covid test to leave the ship when we dock in Vancouver….why wait until now to tell us this?

Are you working with a TA that can give you further clarification? 

16 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Are you working with a TA that can give you further clarification? 

Yes, we have a good TA but this was all sent out on Friday night and I don’t expect our TA to respond after hours unless it’s an urgent travel emergency.  At this point, Regent is now clear that the testing requirements have changed so there is nothing our TA can do other than reiterate Regents new requirements. So we adjust and move forward to looking forward to a great cruise!

• Like 1

On another note just got this from regent. I also posted on Roll Call in case someone missed it.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR UPCOMING CRUISE

DATE OF ISSUANCE: APRIL 2, 2022

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor,

We have an urgent update on destination entry and boarding requirements for voyages embarking, disembarking and sailing in Europe.   

Effective immediately, EU Healthy Gateways has implemented the following updated definition of “Fully Vaccinated” against COVID-19:  

A passenger who carries a proof of vaccination, and at least 14 days and no more than 270 days have passed since the last dose of the primary vaccination series or if the person has received a third dose.    

Any guest who’s primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage must have a COVID-19 “booster” at least 14 days prior to embarkation.  

Guests who cannot meet the EU Healthy Gateways definition of “Fully Vaccinated” should not travel to the shipas you will be unable to board.  If you are unable to meet this requirement, please contact our Guest Services team immediately at the phone numbers listed below and we will issue a Future Cruise Credit for the full value of your cruise fare.  

We deeply regret any inconvenience this EU Healthy Gateway mandate may cause.  We will continue to keep you updated with any developments as they arise.  

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us using the numbers below. Our commitment is to offer you the safest and most enjoyable cruise possible. 

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

2 days before departing. Wow.

• Like 1

Ouch,  no problem because all of us over 60 got the booster - right!  Good luck.   I will be getting the fourth shot sometime in May, a solid month prior to a European cruise.   If I had COVID, I don’t know it and I’d like to keep it that way! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, artlee said:

2 days before departing. Wow.

I’m very sorry for this last minute hassle (words fail me), however I think we need to pin the blame on last minute changes by the EU. Cruiselines are just reacting to changes that were posted, I believe, on 1 April.

Last summer I was on the first or second river cruise to sail east on the Danube from Budapest. I won’t bore you w the details but it was very hard to get everything ready in order to travel, no I should say it was near impossible to know what the requirements were in advance so I could get everything in order.

I had a great cruise, but it certainly wasn’t easy to get to the gangplank so I could board the cruise.

I hope you can get everything sorted in time, and then you can relax on a fabulous Regent cruise! Best wishes!

• Like 1

These requirements for a booster were there at least two weeks ago. Our cruise is May 2 from Barcelona and I have been researching the requirements for weeks since I did not hear from Regent until last night.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That is very bizarre, since Canada lifted the testing requirement for entry on April 1st.

I think there are now 2 different rules. Arrival by land or air, no test required. But arrival by cruise ship = test required. 

6 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

I think there are now 2 different rules. Arrival by land or air, no test required. But arrival by cruise ship = test required. 

When I just researched…as of 2/7 a cruise ship must be fully vaccinated. Also, a pcr test 3 days before embarkation or antigen 1 day.  Same is required before arrival at debarkation. 

Not true...for fully vaccinated - no need for testing whether arriving by air, land, OR sea. 

7 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Not true...for fully vaccinated - no need for testing whether arriving by air, land, OR sea. 

Yes, it is true.  This is from Regents Voyage health requirement sent by email on Fri. Also on Regent website. And this is the Canadian Govt website that specifies the same: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-announces-the-new-public-health-plan-for-cruise-ships.html

Vancouver, British Columbia

·          Guests must carry their proof of vaccination.

·          All guests are required to create a free ArriveCAN account and submit travel plan information within 72 hours before arrival to Canada to get an ArriveCAN receipt. 

·          All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test and receive a negative result within 24 hours of arrival in Canada order to go ashore. Testing will be administered onboard the ship and will be paid for by Regent Seven Seas Cruises. 

·          Guests can go ashore independently or on shore excursions organized by Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Yeah, you're right.  Here's the relevant link dated early March, and here's the significant passage:

• Passengers being required to take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or taking an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-announces-the-new-public-health-plan-for-cruise-ships.html

17 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Yes, it is true.  This is from Regents Voyage health requirement sent by email on Fri. Also on Regent website. And this is the Canadian Govt website that specifies the same: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-announces-the-new-public-health-plan-for-cruise-ships.html

Vancouver, British Columbia

·          Guests must carry their proof of vaccination.

·          All guests are required to create a free ArriveCAN account and submit travel plan information within 72 hours before arrival to Canada to get an ArriveCAN receipt. 

·          All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test and receive a negative result within 24 hours of arrival in Canada order to go ashore. Testing will be administered onboard the ship and will be paid for by Regent Seven Seas Cruises. 

·          Guests can go ashore independently or on shore excursions organized by Regent Seven Seas Cruises

That information appears to be outdated.  Here's the update:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children 5 years of age or older must provide a valid pre-entry test result, even if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2