Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

“Celebrity has finally published the testing requirements for 2022 season in Europe.  There are so many variables.

Vaccinations: 

For U.S. Guests – Ages 5 and older must be fully vaccinated with last primary dose administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

For Guests from All Other Countries Other than the U.S. - Ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated with last primary dose administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

Testing: 

You will need supervised LFT (Antigen) or PCR test to board. 

The test to board will need to be undertaken 1 day before departure, EXCEPT for Southampton where you are Up to Date and then it is 2 days before.

Essentially you will fall into one of three groups.

Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR boosted. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation. Celebrity has confirmed via chat that if your booster is more than 270 days ago you are not up to date. 

Fully Vaccinated: vaccinated with a full dose of a primary series vaccine more than 9 months (270 days) prior to sailing, and NOT boosted. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

Exception:  If a guest from UK/EU under 18 years of age has Certificate of Recovery and only one dose of a vaccine series they are considered fully vaccinated. 

Everyone Else: Unvaccinated (Under 5 or 12 depending upon nationality)

The number of tests required will depend upon your itinerary, departure port and arrival port

Tests required during the cruise will be $55 per person per test. This will include any tests required for B2B cruises or if you need one to return home or indeed end the cruise.

You will also need to refer to the port guide to see how many tests you require based on your particular cruise, based on whether you are Up to Date, Fully Vaccinated or Unvaccinated 

Official Policy Links:

Now having decided which camp (Up to Date, Fully Vaccinated or Unvaccinated) you fall into - please refer to the port of departure below and click on the links. 

For Southampton departures - see https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/southampton-travel-requirements and https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/master-europe-testing-southampton.pdf

For Amsterdam departures - see https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/amsterdam-travel-requirements and https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/master-europe-testing-amsterdam.pdf

For Barcelona departures - see https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/barcelona-spain-travel-requirements and https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/master-europe testing-barcelona.pdf

For Italian departures - see 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements and https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/master-europe-testing-italy-ravenna-rome.pdf

Note that for some Italian departures onboard PCR tests are required for Israel. 

Correct information as to 12th April 2022”

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Ours have not been engraved and we regifted 3 sets so far. Just tell them on your next 2 cruises to not engrave them if you want to give them as gifts.

The ones we got are not monogrammed either but will probably just give them back to our butler.   The last thing we need is more junk that will go into a box in the closet with all those Tote Bags.   We usually just leave them.   

Also we are pretty close to our per bag weight as we only have two airline checked bags even though allowed 2 bags each

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The ones we got are not monogrammed either but will probably just give them back to our butler.   The last thing we need is more junk that will go into a box in the closet with all those Tote Bags.   We usually just leave them.   

Also we are pretty close to our per bag weight as we only have two airline checked bags even though allowed 2 bags each

If you are refusing the tote bags I will happily take a couple off your hands 🙂 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks, Jim, it's so good of you to check on this.  Sounds as if we will be SOL then, depending on how Bermuda defines mid-May.  We'll be there on the 11th.  Given how they define our cruise which departs on May 4 as being on May 7, maybe we'll get lucky.  😁  If I had known Bermuda was going to be so difficult, I would never have booked this cruise--I've been there several times.  But it was tempting to add it on to the repo I'm doing in front of it and it has other interesting and accessible ports:  Newport and Charleston.

Yesterday the only way to get to to either city was by Taxi or Bus.    I sure hope it is available for you.  

3 hours ago, Redking said:

😯🤮 or 😴 depending on how good your sea legs are.

It has been challenging for many.   I've noticed a number of guests with those walking poles and it helps them.   I'll let you know how my sea legs are today when I do my walking.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Jim, thank you.  I now have a record.  Just discovered the power and convenient of a Fire Stick when traveling.  I like to be able to watch thinks that I record at home, when I am traveling.

Very much appreciated.

I  have a couple Fiddlesticks at home and a Firestick enabled TV but find their main screen way to busy for my taste.   I did a jailbreak on it and cleaned up the screen.  I don't recall if the additional memory could be used for buffering.  

Roku has a really clean screen but have lately been adding more to it. 

BTH been getting pretty good Internet Reception except for the first night out of Fort Lauderdale. That evening even the ships TV was really bad to unwatchable.

• Like 1

Just now, upwarduk said:

I read it as ‘ Up to date’ means you are Boosted, which is required if your vaccination was more than 270 days before the END of your cruise. There is no expiry date for the Booster.

I found the attached in February.

181E550A-09A3-40A2-8CD0-2804A99405D5.thumb.jpeg.aa8829a6968f9bac2f22f8057f20d91f.jpeg
So testing if you are ‘Up to date ‘is 2 days before.

The 1 day for Spain requirement, is in the Fully Vaccinated section only.

I assume you will be doing the testing on the ship Jim, so maybe things will be clarified near the end of your TA.

It's no problem for the B2B's we will be tested and don't even need to make a reservation.   i do have 4 Monitored Covid Tests with us.   Planning on using 2 for Flying home from Scotland after visiting family in May.

Just now, abbydancer said:

I'm on page 6, since I'm currently on the new Princess ship and haven't checked cruise critic until today to see what they are saying about my two cruises that got cancelled today (9/22 on Millennium and 4/23 on Solstice).  I'm on the return Transatlantic in October.

I always enjoy reading Jim's Live thread, and I do hope to meet Iain someday.  Hope you're having a great trip and I'll read up to this in the next day or two.

Thanks Abby --- It was really good to have coffee with you at Starbucks.   Maybe someday Iain will be with me.   We usually do our walks separately -  He usually goes in the direction of Santa Clara and Cupertino and I head north to Mountain View and Palo Alto. 

Just now, Bo1953 said:

Is it possible that those 'potential' passengers are not reading the email or website correctly?

It is, at least to me, quite clear when the one (1) day or two (2) day requirements for testing are invoked....

The issue may be, that people are reading social media about what other 'believe' and NOT the actual verbiage and requirements from X/foreign ports OR they are not reading them fully and completely.

This is where many get into trouble and get upset about these protocols, which are ever changing which means constantly reviewing the website for the latest, if any, updates.

In health and bon voyage

Bo -

The latest guidelines are pretty clear but you do have to read in detail.    Much better than what they did for the TA.   The celebrity posts about 1 day testing was in a single * remark and left people trying to figure out if the one day testing was for those non-boosted or outside the 270 day rule. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Bo -

The latest guidelines are pretty clear but you do have to read in detail.    Much better than what they did for the TA.   The celebrity posts about 1 day testing was in a single * remark and left people trying to figure out if the one day testing was for those non-boosted or outside the 270 day rule. 

Oh, j_i, I fully understand for sure...

As what is good today may not be good tomorrow which means that constant checking is in order, up through day of departure, just in case...

Not a good way to start ones vacation, yet after we board it is behind us, at least for then... LOL

Continued bon voyage...

Bermuda -

It was a really windy day in Bermuda.    They had two tugs holding us safely to the port all day long.    We did our walking and then went ashore after a quick lunch. 

For lunch we went to the Spa Cafe -   I had a Caprese Salad and a small fruit salad and Iain had the a Salmon Scoop with his Caprese

0C1C8BF8-093C-4E07-80C4-F98BE740F192.thumb.jpeg.3213eb864ee08136a2ec5ae51ab3689e.jpeg

FD4706DE-53F5-4A13-AF76-B9545F03E5C2.thumb.jpeg.c1409c9d87bdafe54cd3d7769be8e513.jpeg

E2022805-23E0-460A-A72B-1E09B253571F.thumb.jpeg.c60b3bd873c5de87cf155447f8c1df99.jpeg

We went ashore for about an hour and picked up a couple T-Shirts and golf hats. 

0299B6CD-20BF-4233-9847-45FE7835B3FA.thumb.jpeg.7a131a4030160460a39b97ce07ad18c9.jpeg

7CDDA6A2-D04A-4FCA-85CC-A724F7507F58.thumb.jpeg.4215e2034bd698ddfb69079f867634e9.jpeg

14177016-D4E7-4D0B-86F8-78C2F399EB54.thumb.jpeg.1c2146fd6cfaf4f98d2eedc5c4720a50.jpeg

0A3DB325-95A9-4989-8EA4-DF207730421A.thumb.jpeg.aee398ba9952c04b781a2ef074b60624.jpeg

17F1F40A-99D9-48DD-82E3-89CF4B9C83C6.thumb.jpeg.adee9bdcb06423c8b72c31587c603950.jpeg

84E440D8-ED3D-4B99-91C0-C168506EC099.thumb.jpeg.055f7ad37f6ad7a2404713dbb64227c1.jpeg

6086549C-B998-4B81-B741-8E63BB0645A6.thumb.jpeg.b3e84ced9ff44c7c3573d619653471a6.jpeg

DECF324D-92B6-4E15-9533-CC213AF56252.thumb.jpeg.349080811d814824f9fe5f6abc553570.jpeg

D81137E3-9375-42AE-B333-9BBFD5AB557E.thumb.jpeg.815fdac96df03d2311fa7cb0e0bacb76.jpeg

B862316F-9572-453A-99B3-8AF2B6601D73.thumb.jpeg.387672e9c1f841f76256fcc83584f623.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 19

Just now, Bo1953 said:

Oh, j_i, I fully understand for sure...

As what is good today may not be good tomorrow which means that constant checking is in order, up through day of departure, just in case...

Not a good way to start ones vacation, yet after we board it is behind us, at least for then... LOL

Continued bon voyage...

Your right -  Once aboard and in Paradise you quickly forget all about the crazies before the cruise.   90% of the discussions on the recent Roll Calls have been debating things like what does  fully vaccinated date mean does the 270 days apply to the booster or your 2nd shot etc etc.  

It is similar to regular posts.   If you say it's white someone else will say it black and someone else will so no it's gray.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Captain George's morning report -

1600 miles the Azores,  we are sailing at 19 Knots,    35 mph Winds,   Temperature 18C or  64F Seas 25-35 Feet.   These conditions should conditions should continue for a couple days.    Clocks go Forward tonight.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your right -  Once aboard and in Paradise you quickly forget all about the crazies before the cruise.   90% of the discussions on the recent Roll Calls have been debating things like what does  fully vaccinated date mean does the 270 days apply to the booster or your 2nd shot etc etc.  

It is similar to regular posts.   If you say it's white someone else will say it black and someone else will so no it's gray.

... and moi, will say either blu or rouge...

LOL and bon voyage

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I actually like the rolling and sleep like a baby.  

Boy do I agree with you Jim. If I think of it the night before, I will set my phone alarm because I will sleep way to late. But it feels so good!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

sorta like the kayaks that put help on the bottom?🙄  open side up, works too! 

70 knot winds is very close to hurricane force. I am surprised the cruise line sailed in that kind of weather as it's very dangerous. With that amount of wind, it's not safe to move around the boat at all. Outside should have been locked down & everything strapped down. We would have never considered sailing in those conditions- it puts the ship & passengers at risk.

Jim, as someone who walks 10 miles a day I am going to assume you know a thing or two about walking shoes. I recently had my hip replaced and plan on getting my walking going again, do you have any suggestions on shoes?

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Is it possible that those 'potential' passengers are not reading the email or website correctly?

It is, at least to me, quite clear when the one (1) day or two (2) day requirements for testing are invoked....

The issue may be, that people are reading social media about what other 'believe' and NOT the actual verbiage and requirements from X/foreign ports OR they are not reading them fully and completely.

This is where many get into trouble and get upset about these protocols, which are ever changing which means constantly reviewing the website for the latest, if any, updates.

In health and bon voyage

Bo - to be clear for those reading my response, we are talking about the April transatlantics, including my sailing on Apex on April 30 (not the Europe sailing protocols released yesterday).  The underlying problem is that there is an inconsistency in the Celebrity communications.  I have read all of them carefully.  The website, and the Celebrity app, are clear that we will need to test within 1 day of the cruise.  The problem is that Celebrity also sent us an email about our cruise last Tuesday, which when read would make you think it is a 2 day pre-cruise rule, because the email only specifies a 1 day test if you have a port or end point in Spain (which the Apex sailing does not).  

So there is a real inconsistency.  Which I wish they would clear up with a new email.  In my mind, the release of the new Europe protocols, which also specify a 1 day rule for Amsterdam (our transatlantic ends in Amsterdam), tends to confirm that there will be a 1 day rule for our transatlantic.  I have maybe 95% confidence in that (unless things change).  So in my opinion, you would be nuts to show up at the pier with a test from 2 days prior, given everything we know.  But I hear grumbling on the roll call and on the social media site, to the effect that, "I don't care, I have the email in hand that says (indirectly) 2 days."  Which is fine, I suppose, but I intend to be relaxing on board while the departure gets delayed with people scrambling around trying to get tested.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, TFree said:

Bo - to be clear for those reading my response, we are talking about the April transatlantics, including my sailing on Apex on April 30 (not the Europe sailing protocols released yesterday).  The underlying problem is that there is an inconsistency in the Celebrity communications.  I have read all of them carefully.  The website, and the Celebrity app, are clear that we will need to test within 1 day of the cruise.  The problem is that Celebrity also sent us an email about our cruise last Tuesday, which when read would make you think it is a 2 day pre-cruise rule, because the email only specifies a 1 day test if you have a port or end point in Spain (which the Apex sailing does not).  

So there is a real inconsistency.  Which I wish they would clear up with a new email.  In my mind, the release of the new Europe protocols, which also specify a 1 day rule for Amsterdam (our transatlantic ends in Amsterdam), tends to confirm that there will be a 1 day rule for our transatlantic.  I have maybe 95% confidence in that (unless things change).  So in my opinion, you would be nuts to show up at the pier with a test from 2 days prior, given everything we know.  But I hear grumbling on the roll call and on the social media site, to the effect that, "I don't care, I have the email in hand that says (indirectly) 2 days."  Which is fine, I suppose, but I intend to be relaxing on board while the departure gets delayed with people scrambling around trying to get tested.

Tom & Judy

And just to add to the comedic factor, as I was typing this, a new Celebrity email arrived, which was a direct repeat of the email a week ago today. You would read it as suggesting a 2 day rule, since we do not stop in Spain.  Meanwhile, the website and the app for our cruise still say 1 day.  So Celebrity seems bound and determined not to clear up the inconsistent messaging.  My confidence in the 1 day rule being correct is now down to 87%.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TFree said:

And just to add to the comedic factor, as I was typing this, a new Celebrity email arrived, which was a direct repeat of the email a week ago today. You would read it as suggesting a 2 day rule, since we do not stop in Spain.  Meanwhile, the website and the app for our cruise still say 1 day.  So Celebrity seems bound and determined not to clear up the inconsistent messaging.  My confidence in the 1 day rule being correct is now down to 87%.

Tom & Judy

Hi

Here is another comedic factor…I sail on 21st on Silhouette and my app shows this.

I could have sworn the protocols for Southampton sailing have now come out…..

F5202CE0-48A8-446D-BF2C-52248B0AF0CF.thumb.png.29c2350d6d264d4822c407917b139e74.png 

• Like 1

Well, since I am traveling vicariously, vaccination status is not necessary for travel.  I knew that there had to be a small benefit, even though I do not leave my home/area.  We had snow yesterday, but nothing stuck, so today is sunny and bright with wind.  Okay, so not anywhere near the same as being on a Celebrity cruise ship, but my worries will come soon enough with my travel in October/November.  Thanks, Jim, for providing this experience free of charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

70 knot winds is very close to hurricane force. I am surprised the cruise line sailed in that kind of weather as it's very dangerous. With that amount of wind, it's not safe to move around the boat at all. Outside should have been locked down & everything strapped down. We would have never considered sailing in those conditions- it puts the ship & passengers at risk.

90 mph winds and 60 foot on Infinity in the Antarctic, the sea came in through the doors by the Sky Lounge.

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am so sorry that no one on the Roll Call did not reach out to the Bermudian Government C-19 Unit about this, they have acknowledged that there is a problem with the system and all mis-dated sailings will be updated shortly.

As such, they are fully aware of the issue.

bon voyage

I did reach out to the Bermuda government and got the same response--things will be updated shortly.  I don't know why you assume that no one contacted them.  Many did.  Those of us who are on the cruise prior to the one that goes to Bermuda need it to be updated sooner rather than later as we sail in less than two weeks.  I also mentioned it to the shoreside concierge at Celebrity who basically indicated that they're still developing their protocols.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I did reach out to the Bermuda government and got the same response--things will be updated shortly.  I don't know why you assume that no one contacted them.  Many did.  Those of us who are on the cruise prior to the one that goes to Bermuda need it to be updated sooner rather than later as we sail in less than two weeks.  I also mentioned it to the shoreside concierge at Celebrity who basically indicated that they're still developing their protocols.

I do apologize the "assumption" yet I did not read any response, on this thread, where anyone said they reached out to the agency and what the response was or I missed it.

Again, my apologies.

bon voyage

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

I do apologize the "assumption" yet I did not read any response, on this thread, where anyone said they reached out to the agency and what the response was or I missed it.

Again, my apologies.

bon voyage

Not really germane to this thread.  Plenty of discussions on the appropriate roll calls.