Inspire Diagnostics at-home Covid Testing

sbaker

Looks like NCL recommends using the at-home proctored testing through Inspire Diagnostics for the Covid testing prior to boarding.  They offer an antigen test for $45 and a PCR test for $95.  Is one better than the other?  Is the process the same for both types of tests?  Just wondering if there is a reason one would choose the more expensive PCR test over the antigen test.  Also, does it work to do it using a cell phone rather than a PC/laptop?  Thanks for any information you can provide about your experience with Inspire Diagnostics.

I just completed my testing a few hours ago through Inspire for the antigen test. It was easy and fast and the proctor emailed the test results while I was still in the Zoom chat. I used a cell phone for the testing and my husband and I tested at the same time during the video call. I am not sure why anyone would do the PCR test unless it was required for some reason. We opted for the antigen due to the time frame for sailing and also for the Bermuda authorization forms.

sbaker:    Antigen is the way to go.  Smart phone with a camera works fine.  If you use a laptop, it needs to have a camera on it for a video session with the proctor.

BlushPell: Thanks for the report on how easy it was.  Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

For anyone testing three or more the emed deal for 6 proctored test kits for $150 will be a better deal because you'll have some spare kits in case one testing session has an issue and you need a redo. 

• Like 2

I’ve used the Inspire antigen test once already and have another tomorrow. It’s very simple and efficient, other than the 10 minutes of boredom waiting for the result and staring at the proctor. 

Technically, as well as financially, the antigen test is a smarter option for vaccinated passengers. A PCR test can show positive results for infections up to 10 weeks or more ago. The accuracy of the antigen has improved from their early days and they’re better at showing the current state of health. 

Hopefully, NCL will recognize sooner than later that it’s over, and end all of this COVID foolishness. I make that a prominent issue on every post-cruise survey. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, karmamule said:

For anyone testing three or more the emed deal for 6 proctored test kits for $150 will be a better deal because you'll have some spare kits in case one testing session has an issue and you need a redo. 

After the additional shipping charge you have to pay for those ($18 and change to me in NY) I'd say you'd need four for it to be anything saved.  More bang for your buck?  yes, but only if you actually need those additional tests

6 hours ago, sbaker said:

Looks like NCL recommends using the at-home proctored testing through Inspire Diagnostics for the Covid testing prior to boarding.  They offer an antigen test for $45 and a PCR test for $95.  Is one better than the other?  Is the process the same for both types of tests?  Just wondering if there is a reason one would choose the more expensive PCR test over the antigen test.  Also, does it work to do it using a cell phone rather than a PC/laptop?  Thanks for any information you can provide about your experience with Inspire Diagnostics.

Just what I was searching for!!!

I'll be on NCL Joy from NYC on Apr 26.  We are getting the emed one and do it two days before.

My question is on the return back to NYC Port, do we do another proctored test since we are disembarking in Bermuda.  I know your cruise is soon. let us know on the return.  thank you in advance!

11 minutes ago, NYFirstTimeCruiser said:

Just what I was searching for!!!

I'll be on NCL Joy from NYC on Apr 26.  We are getting the emed one and do it two days before.

My question is on the return back to NYC Port, do we do another proctored test since we are disembarking in Bermuda.  I know your cruise is soon. let us know on the return.  thank you in advance!

There is no additional test onboard to reenter the good old U.S.of A.

• Like 1

Great information.  We have set up our appointment with inspire and I was concerned with using my phone as my computer does not have a camera.  I saw a video on you tube and the person used a tripod for the phone.  I decided to buy one as it looked easier than trying to hold it or prop it up.  

20 hours ago, karmamule said:

We file insurance claims and our health care provider pays 100% of the test kit costs. (Federal Govt only requires them to pay the first $13). 

• Like 1

We bought ours from Optum.  They seem more expensive but they’re two day shipping and the testing is done through eMed/Navica.  Never had a problem.  No wait for testing.  Results immediately emailed

1 hour ago, owlgirl31 said:

Never done this before, but bought it for our Bermuda sailing. Do they call/zoom you or do you call them at the scheduled time? Do you need Zoom or is there another link?

You get an email with a link to click. If you do not already have the zoom on your device it will prompt you to download the necessary items. You just then click on the email when it is close to your scheduled meeting time. I signed in about 5-10 mins early and then a proctor joined the meeting after a few minutes and started the process.

It really isn't a call per se but just a link that opens up the meeting and then just follow the steps. This was my first time using anything to do with zoom or video meetings and I found it simple to follow. You shouldn't have any trouble figuring it out.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, BlushPell said:

I just completed my testing a few hours ago through Inspire for the antigen test. It was easy and fast and the proctor emailed the test results while I was still in the Zoom chat. I used a cell phone for the testing and my husband and I tested at the same time during the video call. I am not sure why anyone would do the PCR test unless it was required for some reason. We opted for the antigen due to the time frame for sailing and also for the Bermuda authorization forms.

So we’re you able to use that confirmation to satisfy both NCL boarding requirement and Bermuda’s travel authorization?

thank you!

4 hours ago, kuku77254 said:

Tripod really isn't necessary. We were running late and ended up doing it in the car. It was no big deal just to lean it on something.

Just a word of caution.  It's been reported that the proctor has to have the test kit in constant line of sight from the time the package is opened until the test result can be read.  If your car hits a pot hole and your leaning phone suddenly is on the floor, your test may become invalid.

1 hour ago, Breezymom said:

So we’re you able to use that confirmation to satisfy both NCL boarding requirement and Bermuda’s travel authorization?

thank you!

Yes I am using it for both because I took the test within 2 days of sailing.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just a word of caution.  It's been reported that the proctor has to have the test kit in constant line of sight from the time the package is opened until the test result can be read.  If your car hits a pot hole and your leaning phone suddenly is on the floor, your test may become invalid.

Yes this is true they need to see the tests at all times. I used a cheap phone holder from Amazon and had it set up on a table. My husband and I sat next to each other and the proctor could see both of us and the tests at the same time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

My proctor did not ask for that at all. She watched me swab and do the drops and then I put it on the floor of the car and did the next one on my son. Then she left and came back on 15 minutes later and asked me to show them to her.

7 minutes ago, kuku77254 said:

My proctor did not ask for that at all. She watched me swab and do the drops and then I put it on the floor of the car and did the next one on my son. Then she left and came back on 15 minutes later and asked me to show them to her.

That's funny, and not at all surprising.  I've seen those reports as well.  I'm guessing that those don't really fulfill the requirements, but highly doubt NCL would ever challenge it.  This whole testing thing is getting to be a bit silly.

I made an appt for our Seattle departure on Bliss for 9AM. It just dawned on me, is that Pacific time? We live on the east coast and will be in Seattle for the test. My confirmation email doesn’t state what time zone although it knows the sailing and the ship, so anyone know if my confirmed time is in fact PDT?

20 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

I made an appt for our Seattle departure on Bliss for 9AM. It just dawned on me, is that Pacific time? We live on the east coast and will be in Seattle for the test. My confirmation email doesn’t state what time zone although it knows the sailing and the ship, so anyone know if my confirmed time is in fact PDT?

All inspire test appointments are ET.

FF369E14-E2CF-4034-8745-764D82F23A0E.png

• Like 2