ArriveCan Questions

Italy52

Has anyone filled out their ArriveCan information yet?  If so, did you use the app or a computer.  Looking at some videos about the process and my head is spinning.  I don't leave until June but trying to look ahead so I can be prepared when the time comes.  Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share.

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

Has anyone filled out their ArriveCan information yet?  If so, did you use the app or a computer.  Looking at some videos about the process and my head is spinning.  I don't leave until June but trying to look ahead so I can be prepared when the time comes.  Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share.

You can’t fill out the information until 72 hours prior to arrival. I’ve heard it’s fairly straightforward but since our cruise to Canada cancelled, we never got within the 72 hour window so I don’t have first hand knowledge but others have said it’s easy.

22 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Its easy, compared to last year. Clear instructions step by step. I prefer to use the online version.

After you have successfully submitted an application, you will be issued a receipt. In my case, I uploaded a Canadian vax record with a QR code. At the bottom of the ArrivCan receipt, I was identified as "A    QR authenticated". Easy peasy at the land border.

You can do a dummy run for the April 10 arrival of the HAL's Koningsdam in Vancouver. It will automatically expire after April 10. Or, you can just 'Start Over' and write a new application.

You can get further assistance at the Canadian Cruisers forum...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Too bad they don't let you fill it out completely and just sit on it until it's time like the UK PLF would let you do.

Agree.  Filling it in ahead of time would be one less thing on my "to do list."

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Its easy, compared to last year. Clear instructions step by step. I prefer to use the online version.

After you have successfully submitted an application, you will be issued a receipt. In my case, I uploaded a Canadian vax record with a QR code. At the bottom of the ArrivCan receipt, I was identified as "A    QR authenticated". Easy peasy at the land border.

You can do a dummy run for the April 10 arrival of the HAL's Koningsdam in Vancouver. It will automatically expire after April 10. Or, you can just 'Start Over' and write a new application.

You can get further assistance at the Canadian Cruisers forum...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the great information, I appreciate it.  We will be arriving by land (using Princess transfer from Seattle to Vancouver).  I will also be doing the online version as my phone sometimes freezes and I don't want to take any chances.  How did you upload your passport -- did you scan it and turn it into a pdf file to upload to the form?  The same question for the QR code for vax record -- scan it and turn it into a pdf to upload to the form?

Great idea to do a dummy run --- will try it.

Many thanks again, have a good evening.

56 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We will be arriving by land (using Princess transfer from Seattle to Vancouver)...

You don't need to upload your passport. Just write the details. Border agents will check the physical document against the identity on your vax documents. The date of birth is important.

I'm not familiar with CA vax documents. You can upload the official PDF if you were issued one. Otherwise, a photo of the vax cards will have to do.

Do the dummy run, and check the rating on your ArrivCan receipt. Should ArrivCan not recognize your PDF QR, then I presume that they will issue an intermediate rating. Requiring a quick check of your hard copies at the border.

Do not receive an Unvaccinated rating. You are on a shuttle, and you don't want to be delayed at the border.

In the Quarantine section, they will ask you for a quarantine address. Suggest that you use the ship as an address. You will be asked whether you can isolate away from other members of your 'household'. Say 'Yes'.

Should the ship require a test to embark, show the negative test PDF at the border. That will reassure the border agents that you will be allowed to board, and depart from Canada.

BTW: The good news is that you can now load your profile to ArrivCan. This profile is stored permanently in their database, and can be reused for future applications. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am in Canada now, visiting from NY state. I was able to start filling info in the app but eventually ran into a snag and finished on a computer. It was temperamental with Firefox but was able to complete with Edge. Don't wait until the last minute and find out you need to use a different device than what you start with. Be sure to print out the email QR code with your name and have it with you.

In NYS we have a digital pass that we can show in an app on our phone. Here we are being asked to show our vax proof and ID in restaurants. Not all of them can scan the QR code from my ArriveCan printout. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.  At the moment, I have been hit with quite a few air changes for our flights this summer so I have my hands full with rearranging travel.  As soon as I can catch my breath, I will try out the ArriveCan app. Have a good day.

• Like 1

Well, started to do the ArriveCan for a test run and I was stopped dead in my tracks when I came to the "Port of entry" information.  I have no idea what entry the Princess Shuttle bus is going to go through.  Called the number for ArriveCan help and she couldn't help me.  Hopefully, Princess will provide that information so we can fill out the forms.

53 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I have no idea what entry the Princess Shuttle bus is going to go through. 

There are 4 border crossings between Seattle and Vancouver. However the most direct is at the Peace Arch. Alternatively,  they may use the next closest, which is the truck route. I think you could use either of those safely. Or you could just try using Vancouver as the entry point.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mom says said:

There are 4 border crossings between Seattle and Vancouver. However the most direct is at the Peace Arch. Alternatively,  they may use the next closest, which is the truck route. I think you could use either of those safely. Or you could just try using Vancouver as the entry point.

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  I just got off the phone with a Princess representative and she also said the same as you --- the most direct would be Peach Arch.  I am slowly going through the ArriveCan process of doing a dummy form and so far so good.  Next hurdle is the quarantine location.  Thanks again.

HappyInVan  --  Thanks for all your help.  I went and did a  dummy entry and everything lookes fine.  My vax information uploaded with no problem (there was a checkmark by the entry) and my receipt showed a scan code and mentioned that we were Immunized.  So, when the time comes, I think I will be good to go.  The dummy information information I put into the system will expire --- correct?  So, when it comes time to put in the relevant information for my June cruise, will I have to redo everything (passport, vax info)?  Many thanks again.

38 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The dummy information information I put into the system will expire --- correct?

There is a save function on the Arrivecan for your basic info. Basically everything except your arrival details. Saves having to re input the same info for every trip. But if you didn't save the info, you'll have to re do it next time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:05 AM, MJC said:

I am in Canada now, visiting from NY state. I was able to start filling info in the app but eventually ran into a snag and finished on a computer. It was temperamental with Firefox but was able to complete with Edge. Don't wait until the last minute and find out you need to use a different device than what you start with. Be sure to print out the email QR code with your name and have it with you.

In NYS we have a digital pass that we can show in an app on our phone. Here we are being asked to show our vax proof and ID in restaurants. Not all of them can scan the QR code from my ArriveCan printout. 

Thank you for this post! What address did you use for a quarantine location? We are fling in from the US. 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Sandipalms said:

Question ArriveCAN app, what to select for Primary reason for entering Canada,

is it: Discretionary Travel or Other.  

Cruising and arriving day of cruise.

Thank you,

Sandipalms

I would say yes to Discretionary Travel or other. 

I live in Point Roberts, Washington, a small enclave of Washington which to get to, one must go through the Canadian and US borders every time.  Therefore, I use ArriveCan a lot!

I recommend downloading the app.  It's very easy to use.  You will need to select Discretionary as your type of travel.  Just estimate the time you'll be crossing through.  The Border Patrol isn't going to challenge you if you cross a little before or after the time you selected.  When they physically scan your passport, your ArriveCan receipt will pop up on their computer.  They will likely ask you a few questions, and you are still subject to being selected for the random Covid testing.

If you are crossing from the US to Canada for Vancouver departures, you will most likely cross at the I-5 Peace Arch border.  If whoever is driving decides to go to the Douglas/Pacific Hwy crossing instead (because they saw the sign with current wait times flashing), don't worry about changing your ArriveCan.  As far as ArriveCan goes, Peace Arch and Pacific Hwy borders are interchangeable.  

For your quarantine address, put in a hotel near the port.  It doesn't really matter if you're staying there or not.  If for some reason you did have to quarantine, Canadian authorities would be involved, and ArriveCan would be a moot point.

It's really quite a simple process.  Be aware, there are times when we have waited 30-60 minutes to cross the border though!  (There are also other times where we are the only car there.)

Edited by chedanemi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes.  DH’s family lives in Canada and we live on the border in the US.  We have gone over the border at least a dozen times since it opened up.  Once everything is scanned and loaded, it 9th takes a few minutes (DH says less than 10) filling it all in.

We have been behind people at the land border who have downloaded the app and uploaded their info while at the booth.  
BTW…..Canada does still have random testing.  We’ve gotten snagged a few times crossing over.  They used to randomly pull you over or out of line,, but now they hand you a test kit.  It takes far more time with the test kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 6:16 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I put as much of the base information in that I could...as @coopcosaid above...gotta be within 72 hours.  Too bad they don't let you fill it out completely and just sit on it until it's time like the UK PLF would let you do.

so, 4 days ahead.  I will be ON the cruise.  do they give you a form to fill out?

1 hour ago, Traveller20074 said:

so, 4 days ahead.  I will be ON the cruise.  do they give you a form to fill out?

That would be 3 days, not 4.  24 x 3 = 72. But it is WITHIN those 3 days. So you could wait until 10 minutes before disembarking, using ship's wifi to do it. The receipt you need usually arrives very quickly.

21 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

Nope - for all cruises visiting OR disembarking in Canada you need to show your completed ArriveCAN receipt before you board at the pier. There has been a lot of confusion and frankly misinformation provided by cruiselines, but they all seem to finally be bringing their websites (and hopefully training their phone minions) into synch with Canadian government requirements.

Folks have already reported on other threads that ships leaving from Seattle with Victoria stops have been checking ArriveCAN results for all pax - so there's no longer any doubt whatsoever about how the rules are being interpreted even for the 'But I will not get off the ship, honest!' crowd.

You can prepopulate all the info that doesn't change - names, vax cards for your group etc. - right now and then all you'll have to do is put in the trip-specific data within the 72hr window.