Have to Cancel 1st Alaska Cruise - No Passports With Minors

Tean94

On 4/7/2022 at 2:50 AM, Tean94 said:

We're devastated. We won't get our passports back in time for our Alaska Cruise, which we just found out is required to have because we are going with our teenaged kids. Princess requires a Passport for everyone when traveling with minors.  We didn't expedite our applications either because we didn't know about this policy of Princess.  We figured having their Birth Certificates and ID for 17 yr old would be enough. NOPE!  UGH!!! And now we have to give up $250 of our refund to cancel.  Sad times!

We had passports that didn't arrive. We called our Congressman's office and they worked it out. We had to go to New Orleans a couple of days early but we got our passports.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 3:56 AM, dog said:

Tell them you want to use Cruise with Confidence Policy- Covid concerns. And you can cancel before 30 days prior to sailing for FCC to use in a future sailing.  It shows a cancellation fee but you get it back as a FCC.

read in princess website 

1. Yeah....good luck with getting it all back.  I'm still waiting and we cancelled Feb. 8th
Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

We use our enhanced drivers license when cruise to Alaska. That might be an option

Only a few states right now have enhanced DL's, OP's avatar says Utah which isn't one that has them.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, MileHighAko said:

We took a last minute Alaskan cruise several years ago that required us to get our kids passports within days. We applied in person and showed our itinerary indicating we needed to be expidited and were able to pick up the passports within 3 days. I think it cost an extra $60 per person. That was nothing compared to the last minute flight costs into Seattle in July. 😉

Look and see if you can apply in person.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Mike07 said:

You can get a same day passport from State.  Not easy, but absolutely possible.

It's going to take all day and require a lot of driving and/or a plane ride, but definitely possible.

Just a note: getting an in-person passport interview these days is like something out of the Hunger Games. The days of calling up the local passport office and casually booking a last-minute appointment are long gone. Reports of people flying transcontinental to get appointment interviews on the other coast, begging members of congress to assist, etc are common. 

That said, I renewed a few months ago and got my passport back in about three weeks... and it's the snazzy new high tech plastic passport to boot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/travel/passport-renewal-time-delay-delivery-wait.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Just a note: getting an in-person passport interview these days is like something out of the Hunger Games. The days of calling up the local passport office and casually booking a last-minute appointment are long gone. Reports of people flying transcontinental to get appointment interviews on the other coast, begging members of congress to assist, etc are common. 

That said, I renewed a few months ago and got my passport back in about three weeks... and it's the snazzy new high tech plastic passport to boot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/14/travel/passport-renewal-time-delay-delivery-wait.html

I heard currently it is taking 18 weeks to get a passport and 12 weeks to get an expedited one where you pay an extra $100 fee!  Hopefully as time goes on this will get better.  
We actually have an Alaska cruise booked and two of our family members are waiting for renewal  passports to arrive. 
I know with the closed loop cruises typically you can use a birth certificate and a photo ID, although I am unclear whether that is sufficient for entry into B.C. during the cruise.
It surprising that the children need passports as the OP stated.  What a mess!

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 10:20 AM, skynight said:

From the Princess web site. It seems to indicate that if minors are traveling with only one adult then they require a passport. I think it infers that if there are two or more adults then the rule does not apply. I would check into this.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, Tean94 said:

Thank you for that information!  I also was told by another Princess planner that since it's a "closed-loop" trip, passports wouldn't be required.  Not sure I believe her, but with what you're saying, with two adults, I'm feeling more confident that we'll be fine to go with BC's and IDs.  I also called the State Department and they said once they receive our Passport applications, we can call them and request to expedite their processing, and that they are ahead of their posted schedules.  So I'm much more hopeful now.

Thanks!

We sailed with our married adult daughter (so just one parent) and her two small children this last January (on a closed loop cruise) and the children were fine with just birth certificates (original, NOT copies). I'm not sure if something has changed since then .

Also, if it helps, my husband just received his passport back in about 3 weeks with no expedited processing.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

My DH sent in his renewal back in Feb. and got it back in about 30 days!

Similar situation here. DW sent in her renewal, also in February, not expedited and received it back in just under six weeks (forty days).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Wow, I had no idea this changed and very recently almost booked a cruise with just the kids and I because hubby had to work. Thank you so much for sharing!

You're very welcome. Though maybe you could talk another adult to go with you like another family member or friend.  😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chamima said:

We sailed with our married adult daughter (so just one parent) and her two small children this last January (on a closed loop cruise) and the children were fine with just birth certificates (original, NOT copies). I'm not sure if something has changed since then .

Also, if it helps, my husband just received his passport back in about 3 weeks with no expedited processing.

That does help. And we're hopeful that we'll get ours back that quickly too. Crossing fingers, eyes, and toes!  😅

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 11:50 PM, Tean94 said:

We're devastated. We won't get our passports back in time for our Alaska Cruise, which we just found out is required to have because we are going with our teenaged kids. Princess requires a Passport for everyone when traveling with minors.  We didn't expedite our applications either because we didn't know about this policy of Princess.  We figured having their Birth Certificates and ID for 17 yr old would be enough. NOPE!  UGH!!! And now we have to give up $250 of our refund to cancel.  Sad times!

I don't know when it is or where you live but Rafa got a same day passport at the State Dept in SF. 11am appt, had it by 1pm, 6pm flight to Paris. 

I'm tracking my online renewal now. Normally expedited in 3-5 weeks / most in 3. Normal in 6-9 weeks / most in 6. Or so they say. Submitted 1/11/23, received 1/23/23, assigned 1/23/23. Expected 2/16-28/23 needed 4/16/23 

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I don't know when it is or where you live but Rafa got a same day passport at the State Dept in SF. 11am appt, had it by 1pm, 6pm flight to Paris. I

I thought Rafa (Nadal) was Spanish.  Why would he need an American passport?  :😉

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2022 at 6:16 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

Not true if you're near the State Dept. Call 1-877-487-2778 and explain that you are traveling within 14 calendar days and need a same day expedited passport. Easy peasy

Like I said: Rafa (Grandson not Nadal) had 11am appt for 1st passport / passport in hand at 1 / on 6pm flight to Paris. 

The 1-877-487-2778 line will tell you when / where / info to bring / wish MedallionClass app & process was that easy

I just saw that this is an old post...but for information purposes I will comment with our story.

The day after Christmas I booked a Caribbean cruise for next month not realizing that we needed passports that are valid 6 months after our return date! Ours would be have been expired by then.

We renewed our passports by mail on Dec 30th with Expedited Processing and return mail service. 

They showed as "Received" on 01/04/23 and my husband and I received them back 

in hand by 01/21/23! 

You can check the status on https://passportstatus.state.gov/ where they also list this phone number 1-877-487-2778 for travelers who are traveling within 2 weeks and have not received their passports.

Our passports have a new look to them and a new Passport Number!

If you have Global Entry....you need to update your new passport number here.  https://ttp.dhs.gov/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

This post was originally created in 2022, so they have either sailed or not.  But it is helpful for others to know there are options for last minute passports.

I resurrected this post.  We are in a situation where obtaining passports for the children is not possible prior to sailing as there is no way their father can either sign or be present for passports.   He is military, on assignment and will return a couple days prior the cruise.   We have been repeatedly told by Princess the kids can travel on birth certificates and Id cards.   Just wondering if anyone has done this.

The cruise is a closed loop out of Seattle. The children are US citizens, both parents will be on the cruise.

Edited by kiwimum

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

I resurrected this post.  We are in a situation where obtaining passports for the children is not possible prior to sailing as there is no way their father can either sign or be present for passports.   He is military, on assignment and will return a couple days prior the cruise.   We have been repeatedly told by Princess the kids can travel on birth certificates and Id cards.   Just wondering if anyone has done this.

The cruise is a closed loop out of Seattle. The children are US citizens, both parents will be on the cruise.

You can get a passport for a child with a notarized form from one parent allowing this.  Usually even on an overseas post, or ship there is someone who can notarize documents,

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.pdf

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

You can get a passport for a child with a notarized form from one parent allowing this.  Usually even on an overseas post, or ship there is someone who can notarize documents,

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.pdf

Thank you.  Yes we are aware of this form.  Having it signed and notarized is the issue.  

Edited by kiwimum

3 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Last year we sailed with my daughter (who has a passport) and granddaughters with just their birth certificates. You need original birth certificates not copies.  
I don’t know what you mean by ID cards. 
My granddaughters are too young to have picture ID but we were never questioned. 

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kiwimum said:

We sailed on a  Los Angeles to Los Angeles cruise in 2021 on Carnival to Mexico with our grandsons who were 9 and 11 years old. 

We went to our county court house to get Certified Copies of original birth certificates, but to be honest no one really looked to see if they were certified originals, and I'm not even sure they needed to be originals. We just wanted to make sure they were not denied.

We were just in a situation where I booked a cruise for next month assuming we could use our birth certificates (as our passports would expire within the 6 months they needed to be valid after our return date). The information online and on Princess website is very confusing. We ended up Expediting and receiving our renewed passports the other day.

You did not say which ports you are sailing, even though it is Closed Loop (starting and ending in same U.S port) I would check on that information on the Princess website. Edit: I wanted to add that we were on a "Closed Loop" itinerary last year but needed passports because one of the ports required it. (Vancouver)

I used the drop down menu in My Account / Home / then clicked on green Manage This Booking / and you can either click on Itinerary at top, or in middle section where it shows our Booking Details click on the small Important Notices link.

If you click on Itinerary, the Document Requirements section is below the itinerary if you scroll down.

Now this information I included is for OUR cruise. You will need to see what YOUR cruise requirements are for adults and children.

I also saw somewhere else, I think either on the app or website that mentions closed loop cruises and being able to use a Birth Certificate. But I was looking for adults, not sure if this included children.

We brought a school ID for them but no one looked at it, but this was on Carnival.

Anyway, I'm wishing you luck and hope it all works out for you!!

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Edited by llarsen
addition
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, we have  exactly the same information on our summary.  Those without passports have the required Birth Certificates and will have their military ID cards.   We have taken them many times to Mexico with no issues. 
 Yes, I know they should have passports, but they don’t.   Parents may try and get appts to submit applications.