Galveston cruises and prices are up

firefly333

I'm on allure until just before Christmas but thought I'd take a look. Saw 5 7 and 10 days.

The 10 days for new years eve, 10 days was about the best price but same old, same old ports from Galveston. Doesnt make me want to jump. At least when rcl added in radiance OTS next spring they added a couple of new ports to the new 9 and 10 days they will do. I'm a pass. 

New years eve. 

20220407_045353525.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m interested in these cruises but the prices are very high.  I can’t do Christmas but I was looking for March 2023.  

From the announcement so far it's just these at year end.

Rcl radiance has a few its sneaking in after ruby princess.. then it goes to calif.

9 and 10 days with some new ports. Better itinerary than princess to me. The 10 days go to panama and Columbia and there are a couple 9 days to coco cay and key west and bimini. 

Both ships seem to just be passing thru and taking advantage of off days once the new terminal issue and running. Lots I know booked the 9 and 10 days b2b and happy with new ports. 

Princess disappointed in ports ..sorry I hoped for better ports with longer cruise.

I was excited for Ruby to be in Galveston!   However reading the recent Ruby threads made me question booking Ruby at all.   

If sailings and how they handle passengers seems to improve while n Galveston, I may still book closer to sailing.  

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m interested in these cruises but the prices are very high.  I can’t do Christmas but I was looking for March 2023.  

All the itineraries are up into April,  including the Panama Canal sailing.

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

I was excited for Ruby to be in Galveston!   However reading the recent Ruby threads made me question booking Ruby at all.   

If sailings and how they handle passengers seems to improve while n Galveston, I may still book closer to sailing.  

Sailing Ruby at this time is a gamble.  I'm not a gambling man

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

After reading for years the problems associated with sailing in and out of Galveston, we have zero interest in doing so.

I think the problems you are referring to is when Princess was sailing out of the Port of Houston, not the Port of Galveston.

Maybe one or two days a season fog may cause a problem for Galveston.  But when Princess was at the Port of Houston, it was  a 50/50 chance the ship would have arrival problems due to fog along the 30+ miles of the Houston Ship Channel.

25 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

After reading for years the problems associated with sailing in and out of Galveston, we have zero interest in doing so.

nor us ... if they have the same western ports as sailing out of FLL/PE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm on allure until just before Christmas but thought I'd take a look. Saw 5 7 and 10 days.

The 10 days for new years eve, 10 days was about the best price but same old, same old ports from Galveston. Doesn't make me want to jump. At least when rcl added in radiance OTS next spring they added a couple of new ports to the new 9 and 10 days they will do. I'm a pass. 

What new ports did RCL add for the 9 and 10 days they will do?

The Princess pricing for the December cruises out of Galveston are relatively high because one is over Xmas and the other is over New Years Eve. Cruise line prices everywhere are high over those two holiday periods.

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

nor us ... if they have the same western ports as sailing out of FLL/PE

The problem with cruising out of Galveston is that there are only a limited number of ports that can be reached on a 7-day or less itinerary and four cruise lines (Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney) sail to the same ports.

One reason Princess pulled out of Galveston a few years ago was the price competition for the same itineraries on the various cruise lines.

The only reason they stayed in the area a couple of more years using the Port of Houston is that the Port basically paid Princess to home a ship there, paying Princess a lump sum, waiving most port fees, and sharing the parking revenues. When that two year agreement ended, Princess left for good.

To us the benefit of cruising from Galveston is not the itineraries (I certainly have no need to visit Cozumel for the umpteenth time), but that the pier is only 30 miles from home so no plane flights are involved. This is probably the same reason many sail out of FLL to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and a private island over and over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

The problem with cruising out of Galveston is that there are only a limited number of ports that can be reached on a 7-day or less itinerary and four cruise lines (Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney) sail to the same ports.

One reason Princess pulled out of Galveston a few years ago was the price competition for the same itineraries on the various cruise lines.

The only reason they stayed in the area a couple of more years using the Port of Houston is that the Port basically paid Princess to home a ship there, paying Princess a lump sum, waiving most port fees, and sharing the parking revenues. When that two year agreement ended, Princess left for good.

To us the benefit of cruising from Galveston is not the itineraries (I certainly have no need to visit Cozumel for the umpteenth time), but that the pier is only 30 miles from home so no plane flights are involved. This is probably the same reason many sail out of FLL to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and a private island over and over.

Very true.  Nice not to have to fly.

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

The Princess pricing for the December cruises out of Galveston are relatively high because one is over Xmas and the other is over New Years Eve. Cruise line prices everywhere are high over those two holiday periods.

I did state it was NYE that I attached lol so a reason why it was higher.

Those of us living in texas want new ports. I've done cozumel, belize, costa maya and roatan to death. 8 since restart. Adding jamaica and grand Cayman..yawn.

The 10 day on radiance does colon Panama and Columbia and 2 of the 9 days are perfect day in coco cay which I guarantee will sell out with key west and bimini. Getting to coco cay from Galveston is rare. 

Carnival has 2 eastern to st kitts etc ..and 2 to colon Panama costa rica and Columbia and aruba and curacao.. missing the B in the ABC islands adds 2 same old ports, but has 5 good ports. Which is why I have carnival dream booked. People who live in texas dont want to fly to florida.

With those prices and ports i dont know how well ruby princess will sell. 

Allure is coming in and then replaced with harmony in 2023. Ncl is bringing in prima and carnival is stepping up its game with jubilee late 2023. Sister to mardi gras which has been a huge hit. The other lines stepped up their games to compete in Galveston. 

Terminal 3 was supposed to already be done but got delayed a year because of covid which is what is opening new slots out of Galveston. Ncl has been comping at the bit to come in. ..and bringing prima shows they are serious.

34 minutes ago, caribill said:

I think the problems you are referring to is when Princess was sailing out of the Port of Houston, not the Port of Galveston.

Another concern of mine is how Texas was taxing duty-free liquor upon disembarkation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Another concern of mine is how Texas was taxing duty-free liquor upon disembarkation.

Quite true. What I observed was a table set up at the exit from the terminal. If you were obviously carrying alcohol products, you were stopped. But they did not inspect inside luggage, so nothing visible, nothing taxed.

Also, Texas liquor laws require any alcohol beverage served within Texas waters had to have been purchased by Princess from a Texas wholesaler. Princess only bought a limited supply (and few brands) that way, so until leaving Texas waters, one's favorite beverage might not be available.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Oh I reread the title and maybe you could read it as pieces are high, 

Today april 7 was announced as the day princess was releasing Galveston ruby princess princes ..when I said prices are up ... I meant as in posted..it was announced several weeks ago today the prices would be released.

37 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Agree with the other poster. There is a table as you are walking up and the honor system to declare cigarettes and booze. ..unless you made it obvious perhaps. 

No more forms to fill out and facial recognition in Galveston so you walk right on thru to the doors where the table is. No showing your passport anymore.

I was one of the people who booked on the Release Date for the Dec 29 10-day cruise because I have FCC that has to be used by Dec 31. Since we live in Texas and we can drive to Galveston, I pulled the trigger and booked.  In the coming weeks, I'll be watching closely for any price drops that might come along. The last thing I wanted to do is fly to The East or West Coast right now.