Does our 15 y/o need a photo ID to go to ST. Thomas & St. Maarten?

31 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Does our 15 y/o need a photo ID to go to St. Thomas & St. Maarten, or will a birth certificate be enough? 

Not sure if you are asking about getting on the ship at the embarkation port or disembarking at some visited port - whatever is good enough for the former, will be good enough for the latter.

Hi!  If you still are in VA - you can get a "minors ID card" at the DMV (check their website online).  Just had a neighbor get this ID card for this son for a cruise as they do not yet have a passport for him and too young to apply for a driver's license.  I believe the cost is $2.  Check out the web site and then go to FAQ:  Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

• Like 1

Was in St Maarten a couple of months ago.  Getting in and out of the gate area the  security wanted a pic ID and the sea pass card.  Maybe it’s relative to who is manning that gate, but to be on the safe side, I’d have a pic ID.  Easy to carry.  And, will alleviate any potential issues or hassle.

45 minutes ago, poocher said:

Just visited both islands last month.  No ID required of anyone getting off the ship or getting back on.  Just need your sea pass card.

Oasis last week and had the same experience. We're told to have Seapass card and photo id but no one asked for it and we didn't take it. Our kids are 16 and 13.

Generally speaking if the child is with the parent, than the "might" check the parents id to get into the port area.  Everyone should have their seapass card to get into port, and they will check that also in some ports.  A birth certificate going into a secured port area has no purpose since that is not a photo ID.  

6 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I can't seem to get a consistent answer on this one.  Does our 15 y/o need a photo ID to go to St. Thomas & St. Maarten, or will a birth certificate be enough?  He doesn't have a photo ID. 

I don't have any young kids, so this confuses me.  Don't kids need a photo ID to board the ship and/or fly?

I ask because I am taking my sister's family and am getting them passports.  (We do need to fly and I think it's safer to travel with a passport)

Thanks

OP was asking about ports not initial boarding, or so I interpret the inquiry.  Regardless, 15 year olds are not required to have photo ID to fly or to cruise.  That requirement starts at 16.

• Thanks 1