Is there a blind by infinite veranda doors?

ellsbells3032

I can see a blind over the window of the veranda but is there a blind that allows for someone to sleep in the room and someone else to sit on the balcony on the edge class ships? We are going on the beyond but recognise that it hasn't launched yet so wondered about other ships

Thanks 

On Apex, there is a blind, but it is against the window. When it's down, there is no view.

Edit: I took several naps with the blind up, BTW. 😉

Edited by hrhdhd

28 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/category-detail.php?c=3191

Found these pictures -doesn't look like any blind and it looks like there is no actual balcony as we know it, it is within the build of the ship

It's been widely known and discussed for years even before the Edge sailed that the IV room is not a real balcony with an exterior space but an Oceanview cabin with an operating window. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellsbells3032 said:

I can see a blind over the window of the veranda but is there a blind that allows for someone to sleep in the room and someone else to sit on the balcony on the edge class ships? We are going on the beyond but recognise that it hasn't launched yet so wondered about other ships

Thanks 

I hope you can still enjoy your cruise without a balcony.

• Like 1

I'm not so worried about the balcony. I actually prefer the covered veranda as I burn easily. But we wanted to put the baby to sleep In the room and sit on the veranda or vice versa. May bring some silver foil or a groblind to cover them up

3 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

While we never closed the doors, I did close to take a photo.

33F26B8E-BDF4-419F-8FB2-33433D238C09.jpeg

Oh, right. Those doors. I couldn't figure out how to make them work. Thanks for showing them closed. 😊

The doors are frosted like shown in the photo. 

There is also a motorized roll down shade that covers the window.   The shade has to be all the way up when the window is in any down position.   I tried to lower it to block the sun when the window was down. Didn’t work

The AC is also off when the window is down and the doors open. 

If you are on the balcony and someone else is in the cabin when you have the doors closed they can’t see to the outside.   If you open the doors the AC shuts down and the cabin gets hot and steamy. 

If you are on the balcony at night with the doors closed and the lights are on in the cabin there is no way to get total darkness to stargaze.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellsbells3032 said:

I'm not so worried about the balcony. I actually prefer the covered veranda as I burn easily. But we wanted to put the baby to sleep In the room and sit on the veranda or vice versa. May bring some silver foil or a groblind to cover them up

You could bring something like this (available on Amazon):image.thumb.png.304d5c0e7a906e488865c9e8ce2785b2.png

7 hours ago, ellsbells3032 said:

There is a blackout blind on the Apex that is electronically controlled and comes down over the outside window at the end of the balcony area. The interior folding wall/window does not have a blind. 

Originally the folding doors were not frosted. The problem was when you pulled into a port like Nassau..where ships are parked next to each other, passengers on the next ship could easily see into your cabin..which could come as a surprise if you opened the blinds. On edge the blinds are next to the window..there is no curtain separating the veranda section from the room. Also.. the ap has a setting.. going from memory... called morning. Now I thought that just slowly turned on the lights..but no... again going from memory.. the lights come on and the blinds automatically opened revealing all... this came as a surprise.  One of the big complaints on the e class is that early risers can not sit on the veranda without waking their cabin mates... Now I understand that some people bring black out curtains and magnetic hooks to create their own curtain. I do not know if this problems was addressed beyond adding frosting to the folding doors... 

The other problem with no curtain is that if you want to change for dinner while parked next to another ship... and you want some privacy..you have to close the blinds to do so... vs.. partially or fully pulling curtains... but we were on Edge on one of the inaugural sailings..so maybe they fixed this?? but I don't think they can..easily

1 minute ago, kearney said:

Originally the folding doors were not frosted. The problem was when you pulled into a port like Nassau..where ships are parked next to each other, passengers on the next ship could easily see into your cabin..which could come as a surprise if you opened the blinds. On edge the blinds are next to the window..there is no curtain separating the veranda section from the room. Also.. the ap has a setting.. going from memory... called morning. Now I thought that just slowly turned on the lights..but no... again going from memory.. the lights come on and the blinds automatically opened revealing all... this came as a surprise.  One of the big complaints on the e class is that early risers can not sit on the veranda without waking their cabin mates... Now I understand that some people bring black out curtains and magnetic hooks to create their own curtain. I do not know if this problems was addressed beyond adding frosting to the folding doors... 

The other problem with no curtain is that if you want to change for dinner while parked next to another ship... and you want some privacy..you have to close the blinds to do so... vs.. partially or fully pulling curtains... but we were on Edge on one of the inaugural sailings..so maybe they fixed this?? but I don't think they can..easily

Nothing says Modern Luxury like bringing your own curtains.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Nothing says Modern Luxury like bringing your own curtains.

I agree, it wasn't an issue for me since DH sleeps late and I will go on deck... but I did bring bed risers to raise the chaise lounge to a normal seating height... 

6 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

While we never closed the doors, I did close to take a photo.

33F26B8E-BDF4-419F-8FB2-33433D238C09.jpeg

One thing I noticed on photos of Apex... I think the table on the veranda is smaller than the one on Edlge. When DH and I were on the veranda and wanted to close the folding door...we had to move the table onto the bed and slide the chairs around to be able to close those doors while we were both standing on the veranda..another design flaw.  I wonder if they actually built a cabin mockup before they approved final designs.. because, I would..at the very least..made the veranda about 8 inches deeper to allow the folding doors to easily close.. and found a way to incorporate enough space for a curtain to hang on one side of the veranda...  Even if this was an option..that the cabin steward could provide if requested...  If you look at early animations of the cabin, you will notice that the perspective is off.. the animation makes the cabin look wider than it is...

23 minutes ago, kearney said:

One thing I noticed on photos of Apex... I think the table on the veranda is smaller than the one on Edlge. When DH and I were on the veranda and wanted to close the folding door...we had to move the table onto the bed and slide the chairs around to be able to close those doors while we were both standing on the veranda..another design flaw.  I wonder if they actually built a cabin mockup before they approved final designs.. because, I would..at the very least..made the veranda about 8 inches deeper to allow the folding doors to easily close.. and found a way to incorporate enough space for a curtain to hang on one side of the veranda...  Even if this was an option..that the cabin steward could provide if requested...  If you look at early animations of the cabin, you will notice that the perspective is off.. the animation makes the cabin look wider than it is...

This photo has one door closed and one open.  The chairs had to be facing each other and as close to the window as possible for the door to close.

59FC9537-6F66-4B44-A3F1-F165DD2FAF6B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

This photo has one door closed and one open.  The chairs had to be facing each other and as close to the window as possible for the door to close.

59FC9537-6F66-4B44-A3F1-F165DD2FAF6B.jpeg

You make it sound like the people that designed the IV balcony cabins and the furniture have never been on a cruise ship.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kearney said:

The mockups didn't take into account the specific structural issues of the actual cabin design. The veranda portion of the cabin is actually slightly narrower than the rest of the cabin. Then you have the track on the floor for the folding doors. Then you have the clearance that's needed for the blackout blinds (If you examine the blackout blinds it probably takes up 6" of depth). The other reason the veranda portion can't be deeper is the fact that IV rooms on Edge class ships have King size beds. That requires additional room. There are no King size beds in standard balcony cabins on M & S Class ships. 

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The mockups didn't take into account the specific structural issues of the actual cabin design. The veranda portion of the cabin is actually slightly narrower than the rest of the cabin. Then you have the track on the floor for the folding doors. Then you have the clearance that's needed for the blackout blinds (If you examine the blackout blinds it probably takes up 6" of depth). The other reason the veranda portion can't be deeper is the fact that IV rooms on Edge class ships have King size beds. That requires additional room. There are no King size beds in standard balcony cabins on M & S Class ships. 

I think what you are saying is that the final design wasn't mocked-up.  No excuse for not studying or doing a mock-up of the final design.  I don't think it's fair to suggest the king-size bed is responsible for a balcony design that is too small to function with the door design.  The ship was a completely new ship design.  The cabins could have been longer moving the hallway inboard taking the space away from the center of the ship.  The ship could have been 3 foot wider.  The bathroom could have been smaller.  The point is there are plenty of other trade-off that could have been made to get a standard balcony size.   The fact is that the ship designers did not value the size of the balcony that affects the most common cabin type on the ship.  BTW the small veranda size is the reason that we have the small non-functional veranda furniture.  That was as large as the chairs and table could be.

People can make plenty of excuses, but the fact is that the IV veranda was designed for people who don't spend much time on the balcony.  Many of us believe that this was a poor decision.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ellsbells3032 said:

Again, there is no separate veranda.