Alaska cruise: If I don’t get off the ship in Victoria, do I still need ArriveCan?

CruiseMark

I’m doing the April 30th Alaska cruise from Seattle. All of the ports are U.S., except for Victoria.

I live in Seattle and have been to Victoria several times and have no desire to do it on this cruise. I’ll just stay on the ship.

Since I’ll never set foot in Canada, do I still need to do the whole ArriveCan thing?

46 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

I've never even heard of this being necessary for cruises that stop in Canada. Following because I have one coming up with a stop in Victoria too. What cruise line are you on?

Holland America.

And it’s a Canadian government requirement. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Below is a link to the information for cruise ship passengers. It does not seem to specify if you need to use ArriveCAN app if you plan to stay on the ship at a Canadian port. Hopefully the cruise lines will specify what specifically is needed.

My independent tour operator for a bus tour in Skagway to the Yukon in Canada emailed instructions stating that an approved ArriveCAN receipt would be needed to board their tour. They said no refunds would be given if you did not have the approval on the day of the tour. You must register no more than 72 hours prior to your arrival in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

I’m doing the April 30th Alaska cruise from Seattle. All of the ports are U.S., except for Victoria.

I live in Seattle and have been to Victoria several times and have no desire to do it on this cruise. I’ll just stay on the ship.

Since I’ll never set foot in Canada, do I still need to do the whole ArriveCan thing?

Regardless of whether you head ashore, you have entered Canada by being aboard the vessel. All arrivals by land, sea & air must complete the ArriveCan process. Even air pax in transit, so I don't see that cruise pax not heading ashore would be exempt.

I thought ArriveCan was to be activated 72 hours of arriving in Canada.  For the ships sailing from Seattle, their Victoria, BC port-of-call is on day 6 of the cruise.  How would this work checking in at Seattle?  Have the app on your phone, but don't activate it until 72 hours of entering Victoria? 

It's all clear as mud.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I thought ArriveCan was to be activated 72 hours of arriving in Canada.  For the ships sailing from Seattle, their Victoria, BC port-of-call is on day 6 of the cruise.  How would this work checking in at Seattle?  Have the app on your phone, but don't activate it until 72 hours of entering Victoria? 

It's all clear as mud.

According to the Canadian government site, it’s 72 hours prior to embarkation, not arrival, for cruise passengers. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CruiseMark said:

According to the Canadian government site, it’s 72 hours prior to embarkation, not arrival, for cruise passengers. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html 

Thank you my friend!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

As of now, the ArriveCAN receipt will be required to board the ship.

So, you are telling me I take a cruise FROM Seattle TO Seattle and I have to have this? First I’m hearing of this. 

I went googling and found this on Royal Caribbean’s site: 

All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada.

This applies whether guests are departing on their cruise from Canada, ending the cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call.

So, how I read it is if you are getting off ship you would have to show it, or traveling into Canada, but if not you shouldn’t need it. 

Edited by kona_wahine

Complicated - Heck YES !

Seattle Alaska Seattle cruises are required to make that foreign port stop (PVSA)

that which is Victoria as a matter of convenience and location.

Since the ship you are on is required to pass whatever Canadian rules regulations health

mandates to enter port and dock in Canada then the ArriveCAN mandate must be satisfied.

Exceptions - Stay tooned - until the Covid virus subsides and is removed as a threat to life.

OR maybe it is not just so simple ? ? ?

5 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

So, you are telling me I take a cruise FROM Seattle TO Seattle and I have to have this? First I’m hearing of this. 

All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada.

This applies whether guests are departing on their cruise from Canada, ending the cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call.

So, how I read it is if you are getting off ship you would have to show it, or traveling into Canada, but if not you shouldn’t need it. 

You’ll need it to get in the ship that is visiting Canada, all passengers will be required to have it.  Doesn’t matter if you get off or not.

2 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

We leave May 8 on NCL our of Seattle, they haven’t said anything about it and there is nothing on their website about it. 

I find it odd, too, that we would be required to do this, but have not heard or read anything from our cruiseline saying it is required.  

• Like 1

I just called the website number, 833-283-7403, and the agent I spoke with told me that we would only need the app if we were crossing the border at one of our ports (if we would have to show our passport, like on a train trip) or if we were getting off the ship in Victoria. Because we are not stepping foot on Canadian soil we do not need the app.  

Edited by kona_wahine
  • Like 4

The Official Answer will not be found here at CC -

so many variables with individuals and cruise lines -

AND

you don't want to find out about it anywhere in the cruising chain

Pre-cruise

Registration - Check-In

Awaiting to port call at that foreign (Canada) port

Things are changing so rapidly it really is hard to find an Official Answer

that is consistent in the cruise industry and not just with one cruise line.

WHY CAN'T THERE BE AN OFFICIAL RESOLUTION to take to the bank ?

And stamped on your cruise invoice or legal document

The virus came - ebbed and went away only to return with an upgraded punch

You have had a shot and another and a booster and now just maybe you will need another

Will age of all members of your party play a factor in this ?

Sensible reasonable rules with respect to the laws regulations (PVSA) are seemingly

missing and NOT being disseminated timely to the consumer guest cruise passenger !  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

Because we are not stepping foot on Canadian soil we do not need the app.  

Sadly, this reminds me of all the passengers who showed up for their Alaska cruise last season without proof of citizenship (i.e., no passports or BC, just their DLs). They were told by family, friends, and TAs, that since they were not going into Canada, they didn't need to bring passports.  Even though none of the ships were stopping in Canada (courtesy of an Act of Congress), they still needed passports or BCs.  It was a mess, especially at the start of the season.

At this point, I would assume that folks need it - just to be on the safe side.  At least it's free, and it doesn't sound difficult to do.  Worst thing that could happen is you sign on to the app, and not have to use it.

• Like 2

It may be a simple thing, but if it's required to board - this is big and a bit last minute. 

Just when I thought things might be winding down just a bit with the pandemic.  

And my Alaska shorty cruise seemed so easy & low key.  

1 hour ago, kona_wahine said:

We leave May 8 on NCL our of Seattle, they haven’t said anything about it and there is nothing on their website about it. 

This is on the NCL website at the following link:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Not sure if that is just for cruises originating  / ending in Canada or for those  that visit any Canadian port. The cruise lines seem to either understand this is not needed for Seattle departures or are as confused as the rest of us as to what is actually needed and still getting clarification before notifying those booked. 

43557A20-DD9B-46A4-9C66-EAD860BABFA3.png

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

If you are aboard a ship that docks at a Canadian Port, you are in Canada whether you remain on board, or take shore leave.

• Like 1