Carnival Laundry Bags

jmu82

This is our first cruise we plan to have laundry done for us (1st Platinum cruise).  Just wondering how big the laundry bags are.  I think I read somewhere on these boards that the bags have gotten smaller on some ships.  Specifically, has anyone been on the Carnival Spirit lately and seen the size of the bags?  How much clothes do they hold?   We leave this weekend and hope to pack lighter this time!

The paper laundry bags on all Carnival ships I have sailed on are very small and tear easily.  I can fit two pairs of shorts, 2 tops and maybe two pairs of socks/underwear.  I always fold my clothes before I put them into the bag and write my stateroom # and name on the front before I put the clothes in.  If you stuff too many items in the bag, it will tear and you will not be able to close the bag.  Also, I write on the bag in big letters DIAMOND so my Sail & Sign card is not charged (which has happened).

I always ask my Room Steward for more bags because there is usually only one in the stateroom and additional laundry tickets which you have to fill out and send with every laundry bag.

• Like 3

Several posters have mentioned in the past to be careful what you send out, as they only wash in HOT water. Make sure they are color fast, and do not send out your nice things. Many people have sent laundry out, only to come back ruined. 

• Like 3

The bags aren't huge, but they are sufficient. I've never had one tear. I have become an expert at getting a lot of clothes in one! Write my name and cabin number on the bag, check off each piece on the from as I put it in the bag. Mostly my husband's clothes - 4 pair of underwear, 4 pair of socks, 2 pair of shorts, 3 or 4 t-shirts. I roll each piece as tightly as I can and put them in the bottom of the bag and along the sides, fold the top over, give the bag and the form to the cabin steward.

I've never had any issues. I was hesitant to use the laundry service at first because I thought they would mess up the clothes some way. Now I think it's the greatest perk of being Platinum! I get the order back quickly, the clothes are so neatly folded and almost look as if they had been ironed. I've used the service on Vista, Breeze, and will use it on Dream later this month.

On a 7 day cruise I'll send out 2 bags of laundry. Sure cuts down on luggage. Can't speak to the Spirit, but haven't heard anything about the size of the bags getting smaller.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmu82 said:

This is our first cruise we plan to have laundry done for us (1st Platinum cruise).  Just wondering how big the laundry bags are.  I think I read somewhere on these boards that the bags have gotten smaller on some ships.  Specifically, has anyone been on the Carnival Spirit lately and seen the size of the bags?  How much clothes do they hold?   We leave this weekend and hope to pack lighter this time!

Have always been able to stuff at least 4 tee shirt shirts 2 shorts, few pair of socks, 1 shirt, couple pairs of underwear. Fold up tightly and squeeze it in.

• Like 2

The bags are about 15" by 20" and do not have a flat bottom like a grocery bag. Platinum guests get 2 bags each on 3-6 day cruises and 3 bags each on 7 day cruises. I found that if I rolled the clothes pretty small, that I could get more in a bag. I think it's a nice perk, but don't expect to be able to wash all your clothes before you come home this way. I'm able to pack a lttle lighter and am able to keep my workout clothes clean. And take a picture of your laundry ticket with the count of each item so that you can make sure that you get all the clothes back.

• Like 1

We get enough clothes in the bag that it takes two bags to receive it back. We roll everything as tightly as we can. We do not worry about closing the bag at all and the clothes go right to the top. As a guess I'd say they are 18" by 24" or so. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jmu82 said:

Wow, that's pretty small!  I will probably do a load of laundry myself on the ship.  Thanks for your response and tips.

We can get a lot of laundry in the bag(s), just squish as much as you can, with Platinum status you should not have to do laundry yourself on ship. We love the perk, always use it. 

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 1

Carnival is having "supply chain issues" sourcing the bags that they have supplied in the past.  The bags that they are now using on some ships are smaller than previous. The ones that they gave us on Mardi Gras held just a little more than half of what the previous bags held.  I estimate that they would hold no more than 10 to 12 small items such as underwear.  We were able to place up to 20 items in the bags they previously supplied.  I would think that you should be able to negotiate that 2 free smaller bags are the same is the larger bag.  We put our laundry in 2 of the smaller bags, and listed everything on one laundry slip.  We get unlimited laundry being diamond.

• Like 1

I love the laundry for tshirts, shorts, underwear, etc (stuff that can be hot washed and dried). As others have said, I fold/roll and can get a lot in there. For our last cruise I bought a mini stapler from Wal-Mart to take with us to staple the top closed. It just made me feel better that nothing would fall out before it got to the laundry plus I could go all the way to the top with the dirty clothes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swingline-Tot-Mini-Stapler-12-Sheet-Capacity-Black-S7079171/24774467

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmu82 said:

This is our first cruise we plan to have laundry done for us (1st Platinum cruise).  

Welcome to the Platinum club! Remember that each platinum guest gets the laundry perk, so if you and your companion are both platinum you would get double the number of bags. 

• Like 3

I always put my name, cabin number and write "platinum" on the bag.  I also line the bag with a small plastic garbage bag, roll my clothes to be washed, put them in the bag and then seal the bag with tape.  Works every time!

Edited by DeanDeeDee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

The bags aren't huge, but they are sufficient. I've never had one tear. I have become an expert at getting a lot of clothes in one! Write my name and cabin number on the bag, check off each piece on the from as I put it in the bag. Mostly my husband's clothes - 4 pair of underwear, 4 pair of socks, 2 pair of shorts, 3 or 4 t-shirts. I roll each piece as tightly as I can and put them in the bottom of the bag and along the sides, fold the top over, give the bag and the form to the cabin steward.

Thank you for the detailed instructions, I wish I'd seen them earlier.  We have been platinum for years, but had never used this benefit until last week on Mardi Gras (and I managed do it wrong).😄  I didn't see the form, so did not fill one out (just filled out the name/cabin number, etc. required on the bag itself).  They still did our laundry, but a fellow cruiser told us afterward we'd done it wrong.

The bags looked the same size to me as in the past, and I guess it depends on the size of the clothing, but I was able to include several outfits (I also roll them as tightly as possible).

None of our clothes were damaged but they definitely weren't as neatly folded as I've heard others say.  Not complaining though...I know they are having staffing issues and I also agree this is one of the best platinum benefits (after early arrival appointment times).

• Like 1

Thanks for all your information and tips.  We're all packed up and ready to go.  Flight to Florida today and board the ship tomorrow.  I know I still packed too much!  I'll have to work on that.  But I've never been on a 16-day cruise!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmu82 said:

Thanks for all your information and tips.  We're all packed up and ready to go.  Flight to Florida today and board the ship tomorrow.  I know I still packed too much!  I'll have to work on that.  But I've never been on a 16-day cruise!

You will really enjoy having the laundry benefit on a 16 day cruise I bet!

Never been on anything longer than 9, but hoping someday…..

Enjoy your cruise of more days, less to pack, and FREE LAUNDRY!

Edited by CarolSW
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CarolSW said:

You will really enjoy having the laundry benefit on a 16 day cruise I bet!

Never been on anything longer than 9, but hoping someday…..

Enjoy your cruise of more days, less to pack, and FREE LAUNDRY!

Yep, it's an absolute Godsend on longer cruises.  Pack 'essentials' like you're heading off on a 5 night.  We were just in Europe on a land vacation with very limited luggage.  Washing out undergarments by hand and then drying them over the radiator. Such fun.  (I bet some of you youngins' just learned something!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, jmu82 said:

I am the only one reaching platinum.  My husband is a few cruises behind me.  It will be great when we both are!

I'm just reaching platinum myself!! Will your husband have to do his own  laundry, in the interim, if  he wants clean clothes?!.😉!!!!! Happy cruising!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder if one brought some of those plastic bags where you can suck the air out…..then place that bag with all your clothes inside the paper laundry bag.  You might have to ‘tip’ your room steward a few $$ to use the vacuum cleaner to extract the air.  😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I wonder if one brought some of those plastic bags where you can suck the air out…..then place that bag with all your clothes inside the paper laundry bag.  You might have to ‘tip’ your room steward a few $$ to use the vacuum cleaner to extract the air.  😁

I like your idea, but I've always used the bags that you can just squeeze the air out-flat as a pancake!. I wonder if you did this, you may not get your bag back-the bags are inexpensive-and, probably cheaper than doing a load of laundry.😉!!!

• Like 2