Shipboard Libraries

cltnccruisers

2 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I read on my tablet at home

I also read actual books at home

I don't bring the tablet onto the ship as I travel light and don't need to drag another gadget on board

The old eyes ain't what they used to be.  So the ability to change fonts on the Kindle and laptop is a great feature.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

With the absence of a library, I wonder where they keep the games?  Or, are they gone as well on the newer ships?

I think they may be gone as well.  Most of our cruises there would either be a few game tables in the library or a separate game room.  Our last few we've seen none.  

Games/cards maybe at Guest Services?

Edited by cltnccruisers

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

... Pre-Covid, I remember reading how the chair hogs would raid the library of a number of books that they can leave on loungers on the Lido.  If the book goes missing, they didn't care as it wasn't their book in the first place.  They'd just bring another book they had already plundered from the library.

wow!  I'm just shaking my head at just how boorish people can be.  I'm a book lover.  and I agree best libraries ever were on the Ocean and Pacific Princess!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, miagirl said:

wow!  I'm just shaking my head at just how boorish people can be.  I'm a book lover.  and I agree best libraries ever were on the Ocean and Pacific Princess!

Our best library ever was on the HAL Noordam.

Both the Grand and Ruby have nice libraries.  Hubby enjoyed picking up books to read .  He is also one who will download books on to his iPad before a cruise but MUCH prefers the actual book.  There were also lots of games available and daily sudoku/crossword puzzles.

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t remember if there was a library on our Majestic cruise in February.  (It was a cruise with family and friends so a lot more social interactions for us than a normal cruise!).  I’m thinking there wasn’t since I picked up the daily puzzles out in front of the Crown Griile.

We were just on HAL Koningsdam—that ship had a great library/game area.  Tons of books—both fiction and nonfiction as well as daily puzzles.  There were numerous tables out with jigsaw puzzles.  I enjoyed stopping by during the day and adding my pieces!  My only complaint (and it’s minor) is that they handed out The NY Times crosswords .  I subscribe and had already done those puzzles!

On 4/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, Jadn13 said:

my Mom is currently on the new Rotterdam ship and it has a full library w/newly released books.

Agree...Great library on the new Rotterdam....Read some Grisholm on our TA cruise last October.  HAL said they used a local Seattle bookstore to source the books.  HAL had started phasing out the libraries but they have brought them back on this new ship.  Funny how the library is where the discontinued  Microsoft computer classroom was located.  Win one for old school!

Was on the Sky last month and we knew there was no library so we brought books....So many fellow passengers were stopping us saying "where did you get those books?" and they were desperate for books (internet not working so thinking that messed up some folks reading plans).  We were afraid if we left a book siting out it would be quickly picked up!  They were like gold on the cruise.

Sad that Princess does not understand that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree...Great library on the new Rotterdam....Read some Grisholm on our TA cruise last October.  HAL said they used a local Seattle bookstore to source the books.  HAL had started phasing out the libraries but they have brought them back on this new ship.  Funny how the library is where the discontinued  Microsoft computer classroom was located.  Win one for old school!

Was on the Sky last month and we knew there was no library so we brought books....So many fellow passengers were stopping us saying "where did you get those books?" and they were desperate for books (internet not working so thinking that messed up some folks reading plans).  We were afraid if we left a book siting out it would be quickly picked up!  They were like gold on the cruise.

Sad that Princess does not understand that. 

We were on Sky late November - disappointed in a lot of things.  Knew there was no library so DW took a few books and I loaded my kindle.  She doesn't remember where she left them when she was done.

On Caribbean Princess last month there were a few small bookshelves and a couple of chairs  in a corner of the Internet Cafe.  But you had to know it was there.

Edited by cltnccruisers