Princess Cruises updated COVID testing requirements for cruises originating in Canada

Mike & Zen

Updated today, 11 Apr 2022:

Voyages that embark in Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 2 days for Antigen
  • Within 72 hours for PCR

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

Guests who travel internationally should ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

• Thanks 4

Did they delete the following requirement from the FAQ?

Voyages that include Canada:

Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

Within 1 day for Antigen

Within 3 days for PCR

According to 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

If a Canadian port is part of our cruise, we need to

Getting tested before you board a ship that will dock in Canada

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  3. Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.
    • for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board
    • a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Thank you @screenname2004. Made a Weds 2:30 PCR appt for boarding on a Saturday.  Thinking that works. Will pay for Antigen test if I don't get results by Friday

Well nuts! Our appointments are for 9:30 and 9:45 AM on Weds for the same Saturday sailing. I thought it was still three days, rather than specific number of hours. Not sure what to do now.

29 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Well nuts! Our appointments are for 9:30 and 9:45 AM on Weds for the same Saturday sailing. I thought it was still three days, rather than specific number of hours. Not sure what to do now.

Checking CVS, it looks like we'll be able to cancel and rebook But - and it's a big but - I'm seeing reports on Facebook from people who were waiting for two hours for boarding. I'd surely hate to have our tests expire while we were waiting in line. Looks like later in the afternoon, like Ombud booked, would be safer.

I'm going to schedule mine on Monday for a Wed Vancouver 4:30pm departure.  We fly on Tue, so that should work.  I was going to do Sunday test, but worried it would expire.

Anyone else doing this test from Walgreens/CVS?  The reg PCR takes up to 48 hours, wont work for us.

Rapid NAAT Test
  • Results available within 2 hours
  • Self-swab of nasal cavity
  • Samples are tested on-site
  • Meets most pre-travel testing requirements; check with your destination to verify

The rapid NAAT is a molecular test that detects genetic material of the virus.

We may do the same thing if the rules are the same for a June 1 cruise. It would mean a test on Memorial Day. Hope Walgreens or CVS will be open then. The 72 hour rule may ruin the ability to get test on the Sunday before the cruise when boarding is probably 4:30 p.m. Alaska time and we live in eastern U.S. time zone (4 hours later).  

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

The key words in item #2 from post #7 are “scheduled boarding time”. So it doesn’t matter when you actually board only when you are scheduled to. I just deleted my April 20 early am PCR test at CVS and rebooked same day at 12:30 for my April 23 sailing. And I’m in Cabo on the Discovery Princess.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The key words in item #2 from post #7 are “scheduled boarding time”. So it doesn’t matter when you actually board only when you are scheduled to. I just deleted my April 20 early am PCR test at CVS and rebooked same day at 12:30 for my April 23 sailing. And I’m in Cabo on the Discovery Princess.  

I canceled our non-workable times and rebooked. I hope you're having a wonderful cruise on the Discovery. We'll be sailing on her in August, and I'm really looking forward to that. 😃

I'm so confused that I emailed my CVP. I would like to keep my noon Antigen so I know I'll get the results. 

Costs:

PCR free

NAAT $200 at StatMed

Antigen free if 3 days before (CVS stops doing them 4/20) or $125 StatMed 

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I'm so confused that I emailed my CVP. I would like to keep my noon Antigen so I know I'll get the results. 

Costs:

PCR free

NAAT $200 at StatMed

Antigen free if 3 days before (CVS stops doing them 4/20) or $125 StatMed 

All the experts keep saying that as we get older we need mental challenges to keep us sharp. I don't know about you, but navigating the changing scenarios is seeming challenging to me.  Our backup plan if we don't get CVS results by Friday is the place in Chico that we went to twice last year for testing. Drawback to that is that you can only schedule for same day or next day. 

• Like 2

Why pay so much for the NAAT tests. You can get antigen "On-the-spot results while you wait" for C$79 in YVR airport...

https://covid-medical.ca/#covidtestpricing

Hours "5:00 am to 8:30 pm - 7 days a week"

Other choices (including PCR) here...

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing

I canceled our non-workable times and rebooked. I hope you're having a wonderful cruise on the Discovery. We'll be sailing on her in August, and I'm really looking forward to that. 😃

We are thank you. I’ve been posting on the live from and will continue to do so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I dont know that I would want to  rely on the distinction between 'scheduled' and 'actual'  in the case that i actually board later than scheduled!

4 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I dont know that I would want to  rely on the distinction between 'scheduled' and 'actual'  in the case that i actually board later than scheduled!

Now Kaiser is saying its 2-5 days to get the results. Based on that I just rebooked for noon at CVS, boarding time is 11am.

Our backup plan if we don't get CVS results by Friday is the place in Chico that we went to twice last year for testing. Drawback to that is that you can only schedule for same day or next day. 

Can you tell me where the place is that you used in Chico?

I've checked with CVS and they aren't taking appointments far enough in advance for us. The farthest out date they are listing is April 25th.  Hopefully that calendar will extend as time passes. We have to fly out at 6:00 AM on May 2nd so we booked a hotel in Sacramento fairly near to the airport for the evening of the 1st.

I used to like planning cruises. Not so much these days. It's just too dang stressful trying to figure out what everybody wants and scheduling the testing. The one has to worry about coming up positive at the last minute and having to go home instead of traveling.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now Kaiser is saying its 2-5 days to get the results. Based on that I just rebooked for noon at CVS, boarding time is 11am.

Where did you get your boarding time?  Is this a time you selected in the app or are you using the Check In Time from your booking?

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Where did you get your boarding time?  Is this a time you selected in the app or are you using the Check In Time from your booking?

I picked my boarding time right after coffee with the boys who live in SF

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Can you tell me where the place is that you used in Chico?

I've checked with CVS and they aren't taking appointments far enough in advance for us. The farthest out date they are listing is April 25th.  Hopefully that calendar will extend as time passes. We have to fly out at 6:00 AM on May 2nd so we booked a hotel in Sacramento fairly near to the airport for the evening of the 1st.

I used to like planning cruises. Not so much these days. It's just too dang stressful trying to figure out what everybody wants and scheduling the testing. The one has to worry about coming up positive at the last minute and having to go home instead of traveling.

This is the place in Chico: https://www.solvhealth.com/book-online/pnQVj5

Also, if you're staying near SMF, there's a clinic right near the airport that does testing.  https://covidtesting.cityhealth.com/ The calendar for this one goes out to the date you need.

56 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

This is the place in Chico: https://www.solvhealth.com/book-online/pnQVj5

Also, if you're staying near SMF, there's a clinic right near the airport that does testing.  https://covidtesting.cityhealth.com/ The calendar for this one goes out to the date you need.

Many thanks.