Updated Vaccation Policy

Edith1950

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

If they had just issued a single message in the first place,  clearly stating that 24 hours meant the day before,  there woukd have been nothing to sort out ! 

Oh absolutely. But I fear clear, effective communication skills would have been a step too far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Froxfield said:

The only thing clear to me is that Carnival are being thoroughly "cheap" in ceasing to provide free testing at port.  I guess they saw that the airlines are getting away with foisting the cost of testing onto their passengers and decided to do the same. It is particularly poor that the first notice of this change came from CPS Parking!! Presumably P&O were too ashamed to fess up before they had to. Poor show for loyal customers who booked cruises on the basis of the previous policy.  We have paid in full for May and so will have to comply, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth about Carnival's view of their customers.

By the way, I won't be using Boots. They cancelled a pre-booked test with less than 24 hours notice in respect of the holiday we just returned from.  That induced unnecessary stress!

Was that an in-store test? I was going to book one of those but the Boots booking site appears to be overwhelmed. I did pre register but I can now amend the type of test to a home one

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

In fairness every other cruise line sailing from the UK that isn't in the Carnival stable insisted on a paid for test from the restart last year. P&O and Cunard have been extremely generous on the testing front for a long time and their onboard testing charges are much cheaper than the likes of RCI and Celebrity.

It really was inevitable with the wind down of community testing in the UK that the companies running the mass testing sites at ports and airports would shut down their operations.  This will not be a decision solely of P&O, if Prenetics do not wish to continue running the site what other option would remain for P&O than to ask passengers to source and pay for the tests that are being insisted on by ports? The cost to P&O to try to man and run a testing operation would no doubt have been enormous, it must be remembered that the testing staff were not P&O employees.

Marella was free testing on uk cruises last year.

so was saga - and still is - so far.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Celebrity plans were released last week. They require a paid for test 1 day prior. Their website shows the difference between UK sailings and Europe. All are paid options and their onboard tests are listed at between $45 and $99.  I spoke with them last night as there is no link for UK passengers to a preferred tester. They confirmed there is none and directed me to the UK list of testers.  They also require an observed test.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/southampton-travel-requirements

I am happier with Celebrity's requirement on having an observed test, and only wish P&O were wanting this too.

However, your previous statement below was emphatically incorrect as far as both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean were concerned.  As has been pointed out, they used Eurofins (or you could choose your own provider and reclaim the cost).

You said:

"In fairness every other cruise line sailing from the UK that isn't in the Carnival stable insisted on a paid for test from the restart last year. "

We have been cruising with P&O for many years. We are both old and don't walk very well so cruising suits us. Since booking our May cruise, many alterations to services and requirements on board have taken place and we really do not feel that we will be getting the cruise experience that we want. Now we have to jump through hoops to get, and pay for, antigen tests we are thoroughly fed up with worrying about  what should have been enjoyable experience. In view of so many changes we think that we are not getting the product that we signed up to buy. P&O should give passengers the chance to cancel their cruises with a full refund.

• Like 5

If I remember correctly, Britannia has a room called "the Marlow Suite" which is named after a former MD.  Perhaps in recognition of some of the recent own goals that have been scored, there could be a similar recognition for the current incumbent of the role.  "The Ludlow shower" has a certain ring to it.....

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Marella was free testing on uk cruises last year.

so was saga - and still is - so far.

You will note I acknowledged this above.  I did not sail on any ships bar ones sailing for  P&O, Princess and Cunard last year.  I did look at Celebrity and RCI but the testing put me off with the PCR test requirements and the need to travel to obtain them. I noted only that the local testing centre they recommended for me was a 50 mile trip and therefore to be tested locally meant I had to pay and be given an allowance towards this cost. I appreciate if you had a testing centre locally it was free.

Apart from UK staycation cruises my Caribbean cruises one I had to pay for a PCR. 

29 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I am happier with Celebrity's requirement on having an observed test, and only wish P&O were wanting this too.

However, your previous statement below was emphatically incorrect as far as both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean were concerned.  As has been pointed out, they used Eurofins (or you could choose your own provider and reclaim the cost).

You said:

"In fairness every other cruise line sailing from the UK that isn't in the Carnival stable insisted on a paid for test from the restart last year. "

This is my last reply on this point.  If you lived near a testing site RCI and Celebrity were free. If you did not you were given an allowance to reclaim your costs. In a lot of areas testing was dearer than the cost paid plus travel. I recall a lady living in Cornwall having to travel to Exeter to get a test.

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I did look at Celebrity and RCI but the testing put me off with the PCR test requirements and the need to travel to obtain them. I noted only that the local testing centre they recommended for me was a 50 mile trip and therefore to be tested locally meant I had to pay and be given an allowance towards this cost.

Or you could have done as we did, travel to Southampton the day before (as we usually do) and stop at the testing centre on the way.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Celebrity plans were released last week. They require a paid for test 1 day prior. Their website shows the difference between UK sailings and Europe. All are paid options and their onboard tests are listed at between $45 and $99.  I spoke with them last night as there is no link for UK passengers to a preferred tester. They confirmed there is none and directed me to the UK list of testers.  They also require an observed test.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/southampton-travel-requirements

Thanks for posting the link.

I had checked before posting and got an entirely different page - I must have been in the US site. (Wonder why the US passengers are getting free tests if they booked last year and we in the U.K. are not. I will be asking the question).

Just now, MX-Drew said:

Or you could have done as we did, travel to Southampton the day before (as we usually do) and stop at the testing centre on the way.

I live 20 miles from Southampton and at the point I wished to book, admittedly last minute, there were no appointments available.

This is all getting rather silky. I've admitted it was an ill judged comment  apologised profusely and am now getting beaten with a big stick by all!

No matter what occurred last year the major cruise lines are asking passengers to pay for their tests  which they are well within their rights to do.  Cruisers were actually very lucky to get free testing last year as air passengers had to pay for tests.

Personally I have always believed free testing for cruises would have to end sooner rather than later. As the testing sites around the country close down it is simply not viable to keep them staffed and open for the cruise companies.

If the government thinks I should pay for my own testing why should I expect a corporate profit making company to subsidise my travel.

• Like 5

I live 20 miles from Southampton and at the point I wished to book, admittedly last minute, there were no appointments available.

This is all getting rather silky. I've admitted it was an ill judged comment  apologised profusely and am now getting beaten with a big stick by all!

No matter what occurred last year the major cruise lines are asking passengers to pay for their tests  which they are well within their rights to do.  Cruisers were actually very lucky to get free testing last year as air passengers had to pay for tests.

Personally I have always believed free testing for cruises would have to end sooner rather than later. As the testing sites around the country close down it is simply not viable to keep them staffed and open for the cruise companies.

If the government thinks I should pay for my own testing why should I expect a corporate profit making company to subsidise my travel.

I apologise if I came across as beating you with a big stick.

I was just putting an alternative view forward and agree in your case it was unworkable although not needed as there was a test centre in Southampton as I recall.   

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Possibly because they want your custom?

I think this will result if not in cancellations (and there may be some who cancel prior to final payment) then a reticence for people to book while they have to jump through these hoops.

Testing sites are closing down, bookings are not even reliable as people have been cancelled at the last minute according to some on the Princess roll calls.

Make this too difficult and people will just not book.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

But, following on from my last post, I still have a load of tests at home, as I’m sure others do. If they don’t, they could obtain them. They could test themselves prior to doing the ‘official’ test and if they test positive (or even if they just think they will) get someone who is negative to take the official test for them. This new policy would be very easy to circumvent, which leads me to believe that it’s more kidology than anything.

I haven't kept up to date on the statistics, but lots of folk wandering around at the moment have Covid and a bit of a cold. Millions a week. It will get on ships and some folk will get symptoms. How many of us honest folk have ticked the little box that asks ' have you recently had, or had contact with people who have had coughs or colds, or a tummy upset,'. Oh no ,not us. Honest we haven't. Yeah, right. All this is lip service and back side covering.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think this will result if not in cancellations (and there may be some who cancel prior to final payment) then a reticence for people to book while they have to jump through these hoops.

Testing sites are closing down, bookings are not even reliable as people have been cancelled at the last minute according to some on the Princess roll calls.

Both P&O and Cunard are accepting the cheapest option which is available by post. Celebrity and RCI are accepting proctered  (video watched) tests  again obtainable by post. As MXDrew kindly pointed out to me no problem in driving down and taking them on the way or in your hotel or in my case at home before travelling.

If people wish to cancel it's of course within their right to do so. However most I suspect want their holidays in the same way that those flying did last year and despite a grumble will get on with it and do as required.

Like the airlines last year the cruise lines have no choice, they have been ordered to test. As you say the testing sites are closing. I doubt very much that the testing companies have given the cruise lines  uch choice in the decision to close testing sites.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I haven't kept up to date on the statistics, but lots of folk wandering around at the moment have Covid and a bit of a cold. Millions a week. It will get on ships and some folk will get symptoms. How many of us honest folk have ticked the little box that asks ' have you recently had, or had contact with people who have had coughs or colds, or a tummy upset,'. Oh no ,not us. Honest we haven't. Yeah, right. All this is lip service and back side covering.

It may well be but its a legal requirement of the port being visited so we live with it for now or don't sail.

I  am very certain that the cruise lines don't like it any more than us and have probably fought tooth and nail against it but unfortunately it is what it is and we either accept it or we don't.  Our choice.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

Both P&O and Cunard are accepting the cheapest option which is available by post. Celebrity and RCI are accepting proctered  (video watched) tests  again obtainable by post. As MXDrew kindly pointed out to me no problem in driving down and taking them on the way or in your hotel or in my case at home before travelling.

If people wish to cancel it's of course within their right to do so. However most I suspect want their holidays in the same way that those flying did last year and despite a grumble will get on with it and do as required.

Like the airlines last year the cruise lines have no choice, they have been ordered to test. As you say the testing sites are closing. I doubt very much that the testing companies have given the cruise lines  uch choice in the decision to close testing sites.

I just think that getting tests will become too difficult for many. Postal tests are not always reliable, check out the results on trust pilot for some of the big providers.

I live in a rural area so post is definitely”snail mail”, I couldn’t rely on a posted test. Those in bigger towns and cities are probably fine.

Those who have booked and paid will just get on with it, they have no choice. Those that have not may look at easier options which at the moment is flying to a holiday with no such requirements.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I just think that getting tests will become too difficult for many. Postal tests are not always reliable, check out the results on trust pilot for some of the big providers.

I live in a rural area so post is definitely”snail mail”, I couldn’t rely on a posted test. Those in bigger towns and cities are probably fine.

Those who have booked and paid will just get on with it, they have no choice. Those that have not may look at easier options which at the moment is flying to a holiday with no such requirements.

It does appear as though there is an end in sight to testing. I have had an email regarding our Christmas & New Year cruise and it does not mention testing. ......... Yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

It does appear as though there is an end in sight to testing. I have had an email regarding our Christmas & New Year cruise and it does not mention testing. ......... Yet.

It’s in the link in the email - it’s not stated explicitly in the mail itself - link to the testing bits.

This caught me out as well !

Our protocols are subject to change, and may do so on your cruise, as we continue to work with our experts and with government bodies across all the destinations we visit to ensure all of our practices evolve in line with latest advice. For further information, including details of our testing policy, comprehensive cruise-specific travel insurance requirements and new mask-wearing policy, please click here. We’ll let you know of any changes before your cruise.

From 29 April 2022 onwards:

All guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a private lateral flow/antigen test, to be taken one day prior to embarkation of the ship (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

Edited by paulatsea

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

We had 3 staycation cruises last year. It was worth the faff just to get away. Greatly enjoyed the experience. Since then we have had 2 holidays to Spain by air. Minimum faff and also greatly enjoyable. We have 3 cruises booked from Southampton this year. Balances begin to fall fairly soon. We will probably pay and put up with the agro. As for booking further cruises with the current protocols, the jury is very much out. As for..it's only EU rules.....they have been fighting hard........well perhaps not hard enough. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

It’s in the link in the email - it’s not stated explicitly in the mail itself - link to the testing bits.

Our protocols are subject to change, and may do so on your cruise, as we continue to work with our experts and with government bodies across all the destinations we visit to ensure all of our practices evolve in line with latest advice. For further information, including details of our testing policy, comprehensive cruise-specific travel insurance requirements and new mask-wearing policy, please click here. We’ll let you know of any changes before your cruise.

All guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a private lateral flow/antigen test, to be taken one day prior to embarkation of the ship (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

Yes, I've had it for Christmas 2023 as well.

40 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks I will look into that. I have 3 other cruises to worry about first, two P&O and one Princess, two out of Southampton and one fly with 4 adults (total) a 5 year old (unvaccinated as she has just turned 5) and a 2 year old. So plenty on my plate.😅

• Like 2

One final observation on testing sites at Southampton docks.  I understand that the new EU protocols allow 95% occupancy (Molecrochip's point on the Spanish protocol update refers).  Therefore the capacity at the cruise testing sites would be clearly insufficient to deal with all the passengers when multiple ships are in.  We must remember that until a couple of weeks ago the ship's were half empty and we still heard of embarkation delays and long test queues. By moving the testing onus to the passenger any increase in passengers is accommodated.  With business getting back to normal the car parks at the ports are going to be needed for their intended purpose as well.

Overall, aside from sourcing and paying for the test, this should benefit the passenger as well as the cruise line because we will be spared the queues and delays.

• Like 6