Updated Vaccation Policy

Edith1950

22 minutes ago, Wiseyowl said:

We I suspect like many opted for a Southampton cruise to avoid the stresses of testing and awaiting results beforehand with time pressures. I know for some it’s not a hassle but for many it is an unwanted stress when it may be stressful travelling for the first time again. This has changed how we feel about out week away in July, and although fully paid am hopeful we can just cancel as they have changed the requirements and it’s not what we signed up for.

Exactly - that’s why we also chose a uk departing cruise - it’s now just as complicated as doing a fly cruise - which we deliberately avoided.

Organised and included port testing was very important to us.

I hope you can cancel - be interested to know as we will do the same if we can.

best of luck.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 2

The Princess documentation is far clearer and states the exact reason for the one day requirement.  It is clearly a rule instituted by EU sources and nothing to do with the cruise lines (my bold emphasis).  Princess appear to have grasped the problem on travel arrangements while other companies have not although they aren't saying how long the complimentary testing will last for.

UPDATED: Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship all guests age five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within one day of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available.

When possible we recommend guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans, so for your convenience we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to a negative pre-cruise PCR test result taken within three days before embarkation. Charges may apply.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The Princess documentation is far clearer and states the exact reason for the one day requirement.  It is clearly a rule instituted by EU sources and nothing to do with the cruise lines (my bold emphasis).  Princess appear to have grasped the problem on travel arrangements while other companies have not although they aren't saying how long the complimentary testing will last for.

UPDATED: Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

Based on current European Union Healthy Gateways (EUHG) guidelines, to board the ship all guests age five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within one day of embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll communicate any updates as they become available.

When possible we recommend guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans, so for your convenience we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to a negative pre-cruise PCR test result taken within three days before embarkation. Charges may apply.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel PCR COVID-19 testing to enter a country. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources.

Out of curiosity, where did you find this?  We are travelling with Princess on July 1st, and this is not what I have found for cruising from Southampton within the Princess CruiseHealth FAQ.

edit - found it, this was in the cruising from Europe section.  It is different when sailing from Southampton.

Edited by jaydee6969

10 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this?  We are travelling with Princess on July 1st, and this is not what I have found for cruising from Southampton within the Princess CruiseHealth FAQ.

edit - found it, this was in the cruising from Europe section.  It is different when sailing from Southampton.

It is also not what happened for our Princess cruise which went out 28th March.  The protocol currently on the Princess cruise FAQs for Southampton departures is thd correct one unless Princess have changed their protocols but not updated the FAQs on the web site.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree it does appear odd, however a ferry sailing is rarely longer than 2 or 3 days, often only a day. So you can see that they have a far lower risk of an outbreak onboard.

We have been supportive of P&O right the way through this, taking 3 staycation cruises last year, with 3 booked for this year. Celebrity, RCI and P&O. We did expect that, as the world opened up, cruises too would become more faffless. Soon we will need to decide' Is it worth it, when we can jump on a plane, or drive to Europe.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been supportive of P&O right the way through this, taking 3 staycation cruises last year, with 3 booked for this year. Celebrity, RCI and P&O. We did expect that, as the world opened up, cruises too would become more faffless. Soon we will need to decide' Is it worth it, when we can jump on a plane, or drive to Europe.

I agree - testing was organised and included - now it’s not - I’m hoping this is a good enough reason for a full refund. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Yes it is for Europe. I believe there is a charge for that Southampton if you haven't already done the test and it's $60? 

The Europe one is as Wowzz said free, I have checked it for my auntie whose on some convoluted package involving a week in Majorca and then flying to Barcelona to board Regal Princess.

This thread feels really confusing and I fear a lot of people are over thinking this. 

A "approved supplier" is still just a standard lateral flow test. Same as the NHS ones. You take the test yourself, you upload the result yourself to the website and the website simply emails you a confirmation email of the result which would be classed as the "certificate".

I know this is a cost to us (c.£100 based on family of 4) but if it speeds up the boarding process then I'm happy. 

Test at home/car/train/hotel = no test at the port. Unless under 12 of course. But that's going to be a few hundred people, not a few thousand. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, oleb84 said:

This thread feels really confusing and I fear a lot of people are over thinking this. 

A "approved supplier" is still just a standard lateral flow test. Same as the NHS ones. You take the test yourself, you upload the result yourself to the website and the website simply emails you a confirmation email of the result which would be classed as the "certificate".

I know this is a cost to us (c.£100 based on family of 4) but if it speeds up the boarding process then I'm happy. 

Test at home/car/train/hotel = no test at the port. Unless under 12 of course. But that's going to be a few hundred people, not a few thousand. 

No tests at all works fine.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I don't think the problem is doing the test it's the logistics for those travelling long distance and also over Bank Holidays or without smartphones. 

What is it about smartphones which is different to a tablet that connects to the web via WiFi

I have a PAYG 'pensioner' mobile phone and a Samsung tablet which connects via WiFi. I can read my GMail from it.

I have just come off the phone to our TA which is one of the biggest serving P&O. They state categorically that the 24 hour time is  from the minute you have it done to your embarkation time. If your time to embark is 2pm the test must be done after 2pm the previous day!. We have booked our tests at 4.30 so hope our coach down is not delayed or we may be refused travel.

2 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I have just come off the phone to our TA which is one of the biggest serving P&O. They state categorically that the 24 hour time is  from the minute you have it done to your embarkation time. If your time to embark is 2pm the test must be done after 2pm the previous day!. We have booked our tests at 4.30 so hope our coach down is not delayed or we may be refused travel.

I suspect they like the rest of us don't know the real answer and are just stating the 'safe for them' option, exactly what P&O have written.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

What is it about smartphones which is different to a tablet that connects to the web via WiFi

I have a PAYG 'pensioner' mobile phone and a Samsung tablet which connects via WiFi. I can read my GMail from it.

Perhaps some folk who don't have a smartphone, don't have a tablet either. They may not have email either. WiFi isn't any good if you can't access that interweb thingy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Nothing - your tablet will work as it can use WiFi so emails / websites etc. 

Edited by paulatsea

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps some folk who don't have a smartphone, don't have a tablet either. They may not have email either. WiFi isn't any good if you can't access that interweb thingy.

Yes, our friend lives alone, doesn't have the internet or a smartphone.  She lives a long way from us so we meet at the terminal.  somebody would have to do this for her.  But there must be other people who cruise who are in the same position.  What on earth do they do.  How do they know they need a test?  Does P&O send a letter?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But anyone posting on here does have access to the internet, and only a few will be restricted to only a desk top computer.  So they should be able to have mobile access to the the net, and most lap tops do have a built in camera which should be capable of sending a photo of the completed test.

I have received two emails on this subject, one for our September Med fly cruise and one for our February 23 Canaries cruise. After reading a lot of the messages posted here, I don’t  think I will worry about what we need to do for some time. It will probably change anyway, but hopefully it will change to something that is very clear and easy to understand (I am eternal optimist!).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

We still need the answer to if it is a supervised or unsupervised test that is needed. That is the biggest stumbling block for me / us and no we are not paying for supervised just to be safe. 

I don't even understand the difference.  Is supervised the one where you do the test and send it off as a picture?

7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

We still need the answer to if it is a supervised or unsupervised test that is needed. That is the biggest stumbling block for me / us and no we are not paying for supervised just to be safe. 

If you follow the P&O website it points you to the prenetics website and the type of test needed, which I think they call it a fit to fly test, check it out and it should answer your questions.

12 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

According to the book of faces, it is unsupervised.

38 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I have a PAYG 'pensioner' mobile phone and a Samsung tablet which connects via WiFi. I can read my GMail from 

Not everyone is as confident as you clearly are. My friend has chronic arthritis and even a big button phone is very hard for her. My auntie at 83 has a computer but not a tablet and a simple phone.  I therefore do all their online requirements but live 150 miles from them.

It's not always easy particularly when the rules keep changing.  

Incidentally P&O have just told my travel agent it has to be viewed which is different once more to what Molecrochip said.

Left hand right hand job again!

Because of the 3 June being a Bank Holiday I spoke to Boots to ask about the instore testing and was told they only do tests in the morning at my nearest store. I then checked with my travel agent about the within 24 hours and was told it meant the day before. They were about to have their daily call with P&O and I asked her to point out the within 24 hours was misleading, and also I would be happy to pay at the port for the test. I did try a dummy booking, as I'm too earlyt o book for June, they only had from the 4 to 10 May and it was all booked. I do hope P&O take into consideration that we don't all live on the doorstep of testing sites.

• Like 2