Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023)

MEFIowa

"Debuting in December 2022 and November 2023 respectively, the Riviera and Marina will become better-than-new ships, the company said, with all new suites and staterooms and updated public spaces. ... The company said that the Riviera's and Marina's suites and staterooms will be reimagined to provide a radiant and "even more decadent degree of lavish residential comfort while leaving no surface untouched, no design detail wanting. Lighter, brighter, and even more spacious, every suite and stateroom onboard will glow from a floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall re-inspiration." Among public space updates, the company said that the convivial lounges, tony bars, and decadent dining venues will be gracious beneficiaries of a blissfully elegant restyling, elevating social and epicurean interludes to new heights of congenial sophistication. The Grand Dining Room will be even grander and more opulent with plush new carpets underfoot and lustrous, leather-covered armchairs creating an indulgently comfortable setting for a lavish evening of dining."

"

Oceania Announces Big Refits for Riviera and Marina - Cruise Industry News

My major peeve with the new layout is the bench seat in front of the bed in the PHs. I know these are artist renditions, but why are there sharp pointed metal corners on those seats sticking out to injure someone?

Second, Sticking with their usual designs this bench, based on its relationship to the bed height, appears to be maybe 18 inches off the floor! Has Oceania decided  there is a huge Hobbit, or Halfling, market to go after? They already have multiple chairs and couches throughout the ship I can’t sit on because they are almost on the floor. Now they further that concept into the bedroom! Is FDR maybe 4’11”? What gives with this? 

I wonder if the butler can just remove the entire thing? 🤔

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

On thing in life I have learned  is to beware of the term " NEW AND IMPROVED"   

If it ain't broken dont try to fix it. 

What is apparent is that they are reimaging the ships for a much younger non traditional crowd  .

Making your cabin feel " residential????          Maybe if you live in your parents basmement for the past years ' residential  is  what  make you  secure.   

I sail ships to get a change of pace and a nautical feel.... If I wanted to feel  like I was still at home, why the hell did I want to take a ship cruise ????

Thank God  I will sail before the  new "WOKE" ambiance  destroys why I sail on O.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

What are “tony bars” ?

its where the beautiful up scale erudite, wordily people mingle to be seen and see....A wonderful place to act out your narcissism and  the inner self absorbed you........    In Marin county  we used to call them "Fern Bars" years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

What is apparent is that they are reimaging the ships for a much younger non traditional crowd  .   

But you have to admit that this the future audience for cruising, not us old timers who may not be cruising in 5 or 10 years.  They have to plan long range, move on beyond us fogies, and appeal to a demographic that dances the music of the 21st century. 💃🕺 Our demographic is dying out...literally. 

Edited by 1985rz1
Oxford comma ;-)

16 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Blissfully, elegant restyling.  Wow, never seen an adjective they didn't like.  Our first cruise is Riviera in January, we are starting to get excited.

Thanks. I googled it and only came up with a kind of chocolate bar 🍫.

We are with you on the Riviera in January and we can hardly wait. Me - not at all Tony but as long as the bar doesn’t run out…..;;.

6 minutes ago, Robjame said:

We are with you on the Riviera in January and we can hardly wait. Me - not at all Tony but as long as the bar doesn’t run out…..;;.

Looking forward to meeting you then.

By the looks of that bench seat, in front of the bed, it’s maybe 12-15 inches off the floor. OK, I had a bean bag chair in the 70s that basically sat just off the floor. I was young, mobile, and agile then. Which age group is Oceania marketing this furniture to? My 40 year old kids don’t want that small of furniture!

2 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Here is the complete press release which contains additional information:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oceania-cruises-announces-two-more-122300482.html

What a load of BS............word salad....  and its wilted!     Totally has me  off Oceaina... which is  hard to do  but this is the straw as it were....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Here is the complete press release which contains additional information:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oceania-cruises-announces-two-more-122300482.html

Who  wrote this...... a  political speech writer???     If I read it again I fear I would become diabetic from the abundant sweet self important tone...........   What a load.... !

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

What a load of BS............word salad....  and its wilted!     Totally has me  off Oceaina... which is  hard to do  but this is the straw as it were....

My favorite bit of expensive pr-wording; 

• Riviera and Marina will boast a radiant new glow reminiscent of a sun-dappled Newport estate yet with the warmth and joie de vivre of a chic Parisian apartment in which each element has been carefully chosen to create a comforting sense of home.

Who writes this down? 🤣

Edited by maxamize
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

For years in the Penthouse we have been having removing the table at the end of the bed and having it stored until we disembark. Then we took the two chairs and arranged then in front of the coach using that table in front of the coach as the only table we need. Really opens up the space. The staff has always been more than willing to do this for us. If you don’t like the new bench in front of the bed in the new design just have the take it out an store it.

47 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Here you go, I actually knew the meaning, but I used to read a lot of books when I was younger, now I just read the internet. 

Definition of tony

(Entry 1 of 2)

: marked by an aristocratic or high-toned manner or style
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, maxamize said:

My favorite bit of expensive pr-wording; 

• Riviera and Marina will boast a radiant new glow reminiscent of a sun-dappled Newport estate yet with the warmth and joie de vivre of a chic Parisian apartment in which each element has been carefully chosen to create a comforting sense of home.

Who writes this down? 🤣

Wine stores can't hire all the Creative Writing majors that colleges are churning out! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

I think it looks and sounds amazing.  Bravo to Oceania for investing in their ships.  It was time for a facelift. 

I'm amazed at how cranky people get with change. 

I’m totally fine with a facelift but see the humor in the bombastic wording. Lighten up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, maxamize said:

I’m totally fine with a facelift but see the humor in the bombastic wording. Lighten up. 

Deleted.  Not worth responding.

Edited by JVNYC

8 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

I think it looks and sounds amazing.  Bravo to Oceania for investing in their ships.  It was time for a facelift. 

I'm amazed at how cranky people get with change. 

Not complaining about change myself. I applauded bringing in a real table and removing the mini table at the foot of the bed. 

My complaint is furniture that requires getting on our hands and knees to get into and out off! They wanted a bench at the head of the bed? Great, make it at least 18-20 inches in height, standard furniture height, and I won’t complain. 

6 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

Lighten up?  Really?  I'm the one with the positive attitude here.  I could say the same to you.  And my comment was not in reference to you or your post.  Childish play. 

I stand corrected. Nothing against a positive attitude. 

Edited by maxamize