Nieuw Statendam vs Regal Princess

brovol

looking to book next April, and both are out of Ft Lauderdale.  We have sailed both HAL and Princess many times, and really have enjoyed each; including our Sky Princess cruise this past November. Love the Princess Plus and medallion technology on Princess, and the internet was incredibly good, allowing me to stream live football games perfectly.  The Regal is a sister ship, and therefore would be a similar experience.  The Statendam looks like a perfect ship for my wife and me.  The music venues and entertainment options on that ship are right in our wheelhouse, and everything else I have been reading excites me about the Statendam.  Would likely book either a balcony or low suite on either of the ships.  I'm worried that the internet on the Statendam will suck, which would be a drag, both with respect to what I do online personally, as well as professionally, as I stay connected with my staff while on vacation.  Princess is more of a know quantity to us as we sailed so recently on the Sky, and we have always really enjoyed our Princess cruises, but the Statendam looks perfect, with the exception of the internet.  Another smaller factor is the ship gym.  I like to start the morning with a workout, and would like to be able to grab an elliptical without much wait.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated; particularly from those who have sailed the Statendam, and are familiar with the quality of the streaming internet, as well as the gym.

How many days, what is your itinerary? Can port internet connection make up for what you may not get onboard?  

But I think you answered your own question, internet connections are important and so far the Bill and Maryann reports (ongoing thread here) from the NS have had issues with internet - might want to read their reports and how they had to work around them.

I always choose the smallest ship myself when there is a choice, but internet connections are not critical for me.

I have sailed on the Nieuw statendam.  The internet was fine but I was not doing work on it.  I last sailed on that ship in Nov 2019.  I've sailed on the sister ship the koningsdam in November 2021 and in March 2022.  The internet was less than stellar in November, pretty fine in Mar 2022.  The ship was only around 40% occupied.  I personally wouldn't count on Hal internet for work if you are going to use it more than a few minutes a day.

I've cruised Regal Princess and NS's older sister, Koningsdam.  I can't speak to the internet but regarding the ships, I would pick NS.  

I am not a fan of those newer Princess ships because they are too inward facing.  I don't like how none of the lounges have a sea view.  Plus, I don't like how you have to book a mini suite on Princess in order to get a couch in the room.  However, I do like Princess' entertainment better and I enjoy how they provide live music in the central atrium.  

• Like 1

If you're going for the internet, you must choose Princess. I don't look at Princess anymore because of their cabins. As has been said, you have to book a mini suite, though the premium balcony cabins may have sofas. In a standard balcony, there isn't even a chair, except for the one at the desk. Princess is the only major carrier I know that still uses shower curtains for the shower.

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I don't like how none of the lounges have a sea view.  Plus, I don't like how you have to book a mini suite on Princess in order to get a couch in the room.  However, I do like Princess' entertainment better and I enjoy how they provide live music in the central atrium.  

I have sailed on Regal Princess' older sister (and the original of that Class) Royal Princess and I agree with Aquahound's comments.  Nieuw Statendam's Music Walk is an improvement in the entertainment area that HAL offers, but, Princess remains a "step above".  Princess uses its Atrium space very well.  

One thing regarding internet service on board cruise ships is that the ships "throttle" the service. I found this out sailing on Viking last summer. They offer free wifi to all passengers but it would be spotty at times,. so I questioned the staff. I have read that cruise lines even using different levels of packages are still "throttled" when need be.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 1:32 PM, OlsSalt said:

How many days, what is your itinerary? Can port internet connection make up for what you may not get onboard?  

But I think you answered your own question, internet connections are important and so far the Bill and Maryann reports (ongoing thread here) from the NS have had issues with internet - might want to read their reports and how they had to work around them.

I always choose the smallest ship myself when there is a choice, but internet connections are not critical for me.

I always think it is interesting how HAL can have internet issues but Princess is great. They are owned by the same Corporation.  I understood from a former HAL Q&A on a recent cruise that the brands are overlapping with their departments/regulation, compliance, so you would think the technology used on Princess would be the same as HAL???

If you read the numerous “poor internet” and “Live” threads over on the Princess board you would see how terrible it really is.  We had zero internet for our entire trip on the Sky and the Medallion app didn’t work.  At all.  Even those interactive displays around the ship weren’t working.  If I were relying on internet during a cruise, Princess would be the last line I would be sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1