Private covid testing

Slc334

11 hours ago, cpc3639 said:

I had a conversation today with Cunard with ref to folk being bumped off. She said she could not guarantee anything about Alaska voyages as the struggle is with staffing. I also asked what the procedure would be if our observed test came back positive prior to boarding in Vancouver The answer was you will need to be guarded by Canadian Gov site and their requirements. I could not get clear clarification as how our return flight would then be managed. I honestly am regretting booking. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

My TA hasn't heard anything about our trip being cancelled. We have decided to minimize contact with others in the 2 weeks up to when we go away. My husband works from home, I work with the public but will be taking precautions. We can test before we go as we fly out the day before the cruise starts (72 hour PCR test), though I know you're flying out earlier. Have you looked at the Canadian Cruisers forum on here? They may know more about what might happen should you test positive. Hopefully, we'll all stay negative and be on the lovely QE on 11 July! 

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, cpc3639 said:

I had a conversation today with Cunard with ref to folk being bumped off. She said she could not guarantee anything about Alaska voyages as the struggle is with staffing. I also asked what the procedure would be if our observed test came back positive prior to boarding in Vancouver The answer was you will need to be guarded by Canadian Gov site and their requirements. I could not get clear clarification as how our return flight would then be managed. I honestly am regretting booking. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

No, you aren't worrying unnecessarily.  I would NEVER get tested shoreside in Canada.  We have to register with Canada and sign a form that makes us follow their VERY stringent quarantine policy if we test positive there.  I would ONLY test before going into Canada.  Also, when you disembark the ship, if you then test for Covid to be able to fly/return home, you will have ZERO support from Cunard and be subject to the very strict requirements of the Canadian government.  We will only test on the QE before disembarking so that, if we test positive, Cunard is responsible for helping us get home, legally and financially.  So no, your worry is well founded.  Sorry for the downer.

For anyone doubthing this, Google "ArriveCAN" and research yourself.  It's a very scary registration policy that you'll be required to complete.

Edited by GHCruiser7

1 hour ago, GHCruiser7 said:

No, you aren't worrying unnecessarily.  I would NEVER get tested shoreside in Canada.  We have to register with Canada and sign a form that makes us follow their VERY stringent quarantine policy if we test positive there.  I would ONLY test before going into Canada.  Also, when you disembark the ship, if you then test for Covid to be able to fly/return home, you will have ZERO support from Cunard and be subject to the very strict requirements of the Canadian government.  We will only test on the QE before disembarking so that, if we test positive, Cunard is responsible for helping us get home, legally and financially.  So no, your worry is well founded.  Sorry for the downer.

For anyone doubthing this, Google "ArriveCAN" and research yourself.  It's a very scary registration policy that you'll be required to complete.

Unfortunately we have to test before embarking in Vancouver as we arrive 4 days before cruise commences. 

On 5/16/2022 at 2:24 AM, GHCruiser7 said:

What's scary about it? They have a 10 day isolation period if positive - currentl y working through NZ's 7 day isolation period - but that's what quarantine is - do other countries allow you to wander around while infectious? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lissie said:

What's scary about it? They have a 10 day isolation period if positive - currentl y working through NZ's 7 day isolation period - but that's what quarantine is - do other countries allow you to wander around while infectious? 

The UK does now! You're advised to stay at home or avoid other people if possble. That's all. The guidance now refers to "Covid 19 and other respiratory infections" rather than just Covid. 

• Like 1

A quick update on my home test. Did it this morning before setting off. System for registering result was pritty easy. Got confirmation in less than two hours and a certificate has been emailed to me. I just hope this meets with approval from Cunard. It should but I will be happier when I know for sure. I will report tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks HH. The certificate was accepted with no issues so I am on board. Just to let people know there is still a testing centre across from the Mayflower Terminal. So if all else fails you can get it done at the dock side. For a price. From my experience I can recommend the £14.98 home test from Boots as quick, efficient and cheaper than going to a testing centre. 

• Like 6

We sailed over on the Queen Mary 2 on May 1 and spent the last three weeks in Europe. We sail home tomorrow Southampton to New York. We flew into London Gatwick this morning from Milan and had arranged to take a test at ExpressTest right in the north terminal where we got our luggage.  I had to reserve them before our trip. We had an appointment and we’re in and out in about 10 minutes. Got the results about 35 minutes later on my cell phone. It was an antigen lateral flow test and I now have a ‘fit to fly’ certificate to turn in at the terminal tomorrow. 

we had a wonderful vacation in Amsterdam, Scotland and Italy but we are ready to get some rest now as we sail home!! 😂

5 hours ago, 84k said:

Just thought I'd add a link for the kit 'Lanky Lad' has used as it took me a long time to find it on Boot's website, it was well hidden imo:

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing/pre-departure-to-uk-covid-19-travel-testing

That is very useful 84K - I found the Boots system worked very well too.

I would add, in case anyone is unsure:  buy the £14.99 one for each person (you can register up to 4 people on the same tab). The video one is more expensive and not, as yet, required by P&O, and I assume Cunard, although apparently some cruise lines require it to prove it is you doing the test.

21 hours ago, 84k said:

Just thought I'd add a link for the kit 'Lanky Lad' has used as it took me a long time to find it on Boot's website, it was well hidden imo:

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing/pre-departure-to-uk-covid-19-travel-testing

Thank you so much for posting that, I too had tried to find it but could only find the more expensive ones.

• Thanks 1

Just did a trial run for holiday next month

Fit To Fly Antigen Test With Observation | Only £21.99 – Medicspot

all worked well - certificate within minutes- observed test is £16.50 with 'BA' discount code.

Unlike some others this website allows you to book test slot at the same time as you buy the kits (which arrived very fast even with normal mail).

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, 84k said:

Thanks for posting the link. Yes it was pretty well hidden on the website. No doubt to get people to pay for the more expensive test.

6 minutes ago, 84k said:

Medicspot do a kit for £12 and the option for a spare for £7 in case there are issues.

Has anybody successfully used these to board P&O as they're not on their list of companies to use?

https://tests.medicspot.co.uk/products/outbound-antigen

This is the Cunard board, did you mean to post on the P&O board ?