Private covid testing

Slc334

53 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Does anyone have actual experience with Lloyds Pharmacy. I just booked an appointment with the Lloyds Pharmacy Central Southampton on St. Mary's for Saturday the 7th at 14:30 (near our hotel and the Cruise terminal). Received confirmation from that store with correct time and date. However, when I checked the stores web site it says their hours on Saturday are 9:00 - 12:00. Confusing. Wonder if I should have a plan B???

Jack

I think that may be a misprint. If you click on the overview, it says it closes at 17.00. This seems much more likely. Nowadays, nothing closes at midday on Saturday. Lloyds Pharmacy are a reputable pharmacy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The problem as I see it is that Cunard's requirements as currently stated on their website for embarking in Canada do not allow an LFT taken two days beforehand. Quoting from the "Pre-cruise testing for voyages departing from Canada." section of the Cunard website "Preparing to sail - at the terminal." page (emphasis mine):

"All fully vaccinated guests will need to organise and purchase a private observed PCR test to be taken 72 hours, or an observed antigen test to be taken one day prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal."

My understanding of Canada's regulations are that they do allow an antigen test taken two days prior to embarking a cruise ship. I don't know why Cunard's rules appear to be more strict with that timeframe for embarking in Canada.

yes, I'm aware of that. I'm hoping by the time we need it Cunard will have changed to 2 days. Who knows!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think that may be a misprint. If you click on the overview, it says it closes at 17.00. This seems much more likely. Nowadays, nothing closes at midday on Saturday. Lloyds Pharmacy are a reputable pharmacy.

Thank you exlondoner.

Jack

23 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thank you exlondoner.

Jack

I'll try to remember to phone them on Monday morning to confirm their opening times. I've told my wife to remind me, otherwise I'll forget all about it 🤣. Calls from French landlines to other landlines almost anywhere in the world are free and we're only an hour ahead of them.

I'd second other comments, Lloyds are a reputable chain, probably 2nd in UK market to Boots.

41 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I'm hoping by the time we need it Cunard will have changed to 2 days. Who knows!

I'm not sure that's a Cunard requirement. I seem to recall one of the cruise YouTube vloggers saying how the 1-day rule Canada had imposed was quite onerous. And here's a paragraph from a Holland America document, also implying the rule is mandated, not up to the cruise line:

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR within 3-days prior to sailing or an antigen test within 1-day before sailing

45 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I'm not sure that's a Cunard requirement. I seem to recall one of the cruise YouTube vloggers saying how the 1-day rule Canada had imposed was quite onerous. And here's a paragraph from a Holland America document, also implying the rule is mandated, not up to the cruise line:

CRUISES ORIGINATING IN CANADIAN PORTS: Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR within 3-days prior to sailing or an antigen test within 1-day before sailing

Here's the page from "travel.gc.ca" I was relying on for Canada's pre-cruise testing requirements.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel

On the subject of "Getting tested before you board a ship that will dock in Canada", that page says this is one of the options.

"Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship"

And here's a differing quote I found on the Holland America website.

"Guests embarking in a Canadian port:
All guests age 2 and older are required to take either a medically supervised antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation."

That quote above is from this FAQ page on "hollandamerica.com".

FAQs for Cruises from U.S. & Canada

There's a discussion on the Holland America forum indicating this is a recent update to their pre-cruise testing policies for Canada to expand the testing window for an antigen test from one day to two days. Hopefully Cunard will follow suit.

I rang Cunard today and was told covid testing for those on the QE leaving Southampton 2 May will be done at the port and we do not have to arrange for this to be done elsewhere and privately.   So this cruise not affected by the 13/4 change of vaccination policy.  Hopefully info is correct as travelling by train the day before (another from Fleetwood)

Edited by helen447
more imfo

17 hours ago, D&N said:

I'll try to remember to phone them on Monday morning to confirm their opening times. I've told my wife to remind me, otherwise I'll forget all about it 🤣. Calls from French landlines to other landlines almost anywhere in the world are free and we're only an hour ahead of them.

I'd second other comments, Lloyds are a reputable chain, probably 2nd in UK market to Boots.

Thank you D&N

Jack

22 hours ago, D&N said:

If by Monday you mean tomorrow - April 18th - it is Easter Monday and their qouted opening hours are:

Bank holiday opening times

Holiday Date Opening hours Easter Monday 18 April 10am to 4pm

but that is just one branch's times - don't know what address you are intending to contact.

Edited by bbtablet
correction

29 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

If by Monday you mean tomorrow - April 18th - it is Easter Monday and their qouted opening hours are:

Bank holiday opening times

Holiday Date Opening hours Easter Monday 18 April 10am to 4pm

but that is just one branch's times - don't know what address you are intending to contact.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Here all the holidays fall on the actual day other than 1st May when pretty much everything shuts.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Thank you D&N

Jack

I'm afraid that store does close at 12 noon on Saturday 7th May.

The lady I spoke to explained the hours had changed fairly recently and the test booking system had not been updated. If you are using that store you will need to attend sufficiently in advance of 12 noon to take the test and obtain result.

The alternative is to rebook at The Shirley Shopping Centre which is open until 5pm on that day.

It's nearly 3 miles from the St Mary's store.  The full details for that store are:

Unit 2 Shirley Shopping Prct
Southampton
Shirley High Street
UK  SO15 5LL
+442380775300

8 hours ago, D&N said:

I'm afraid that store does close at 12 noon on Saturday 7th May.

The lady I spoke to explained the hours had changed fairly recently and the test booking system had not been updated. If you are using that store you will need to attend sufficiently in advance of 12 noon to take the test and obtain result.

The alternative is to rebook at The Shirley Shopping Centre which is open until 5pm on that day.

It's nearly 3 miles from the St Mary's store.  The full details for that store are:

Unit 2 Shirley Shopping Prct
Southampton
Shirley High Street
UK  SO15 5LL
+442380775300

Thank you very much D&N. I have rebooked my appointments at the Shirley Shopping Centre store.

Jack

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 4:14 AM, frankp01 said:

Just be aware that (based on my experience) it's a limited number of CVS stores that do rapid NAAT testing. We had a hard time finding one with appointments available in December, about a week out. And those that did were all suburban stores, none downtown. For our July trip I'll be jumping on the CVS website the day reservations open for the day we need our tests. As I recall, the reservation window opens about 2 weeks out.

I wish there was a reasonably priced testing facility near the Brooklyn terminal like the Regenerative Clinic in Southampton, so we could get a test the day we sail.

I am going to be in New York City (Brooklyn) the two days before my QM2 crossing so need to get tested in NYC; CVS seems a good option, and although the CVS site describes the test as "Rapid-result test (antigen)," it also notes "Not accepted for travel."  Has anyone actually used a CVS test to get on a Cunard ship (successfully)?  

2 minutes ago, flag fan said:

I am going to be in New York City (Brooklyn) the two days before my QM2 crossing so need to get tested in NYC; CVS seems a good option, and although the CVS site describes the test as "Rapid-result test (antigen)," it also notes "Not accepted for travel."  Has anyone actually used a CVS test to get on a Cunard ship (successfully)?  

Will CVS give you the documentation that Cunard requires as per their website?  That's the question you need answered from them.  

19 minutes ago, flag fan said:

although the CVS site describes the test as "Rapid-result test (antigen)," it also notes "Not accepted for travel."  Has anyone actually used a CVS test to get on a Cunard ship (successfully)?  

I did a rapid antigen test at CVS in December. The document provided met the requirements for flying, at that time. What I don't recall is whether it said "Not accepted for travel" the way the website does now. I'm assuming the test is the same, and that perhaps they just don't provide the travel document now. But then what's the point of taking the test?  The test results document I received in December has a toll-free customer service number (866-389-2727). I'll try and give them a call and see if I can get clarification. I need to! That's the test I'm planning on getting in July.

I think this may be why the 'Not Accepted for Travel' is listed. Per the CVS website:

Certain travel destinations and airlines require PCR/NAAT testing and do not accept antigen testing.

For departures from the United States, the Cunard site specifies the following, re: tests - 

All fully vaccinated guests will need to organize and purchase a medically observed antigen test to be taken two days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal.

The tests Cunard, itself, provided at the pier in Southampton were 15-minute rapid antigen tests. And, again, according to the CVS site: Most rapid-result testing locations perform antigen testing.

Per the document I received at from my test in December at CVS, my test was a "LUMIRADX SARS-COV-2 AG TEST". And looking at the supplier's spec sheet that test generates a result as follows:

Results are for the identification of SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein antigen. Antigen is generally detectable in anterior nasal swab and nasopharyngeal swab samples

So, the CVS test should be sufficient. But I'll call that number to see if I can get a better answer as to why their site states the rapid test is "not accepted".

Edited by frankp01

OK, just off the phone with CVS. They do still provide a test result sheet for rapid Antigen tests. My results from December are attached, and I'm told they still do the same. The reason the website says 'Not accepted for travel' is because, for international travel, a rapid antigen test is, in fact, generally not accepted. But, if Cunard accepts rapid antigen, which this is, I don't see it being a problem.

CVS Rapid Antigen Test Results.jpg

Have found the best test option for us sailing from Southampton on 29th May, assuming the criteria doesn't change.

We walked to Nice Airport and back today where the pharmacy has a PCR and Antigen testing facility that you just turn up and queue for. There was no queue when we were there. I took a translation of Cunard's requirements for what is included on the certificate and confirmed with one of the staff that the certificate provided would contain the necessary information. As a bonus, when we present our 'Carte Vitale' (showing we are in the French healthcare system) and 'Pass Sanitaire' (showing we are fully vaccinated) the tests will be free. This is part of the carrot and stick approach of the French Government to get folk vaccinated. If you've not had all the vaccines you are eligible for you pay for tests!

We fly from Nice at 15:30 on the 28th. Depending on boarding time for BC cabins on deck 12 we might even be within 24 hours.

I think we'll get Randox to send tests to our hotel as well as a backup just in case anything goes wrong at Nice.

Edited by D&N

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

Have found the best test option for us sailing from Southampton on 29th May, assuming the criteria doesn't change.

We walked to Nice Airport and back today where the pharmacy has a PCR and Antigen testing facility that you just turn up and queue for. There was no queue when we were there. I took a translation of Cunard's requirements for what is included on the certificate and confirmed with one of the staff that the certificate provided would contain the necessary information. As a bonus, when we present our 'Carte Vitale' (showing we are in the French healthcare system) and 'Pass Sanitaire' (showing we are fully vaccinated) the tests will be free. This is part of the carrot and stick approach of the French Government to get folk vaccinated. If you've not had all the vaccines you are eligible for you pay for tests!

We fly from Nice at 15:30 on the 28th. Depending on boarding time for BC cabins on deck 12 we might even be within 24 hours.

I think we'll get Randox to send tests to our hotel as well as a backup just in case anything goes wrong at Nice.

It doesnt have to be within 24hrs it has been confirmed by Cunard that it is one day so anytime on 28th will be fine if you sail on 29th.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It doesnt have to be within 24hrs it has been confirmed by Cunard that it is one day so anytime on 28th will be fine if you sail on 29th.

Thanks. I know that, but was just commenting that we might be within 24 hours.  In practice we'll probably get tested around 13:00 (12:00 UK time) as British Airways bag drop will open at 13:30.

Does anyone know if Cunard will accept a rapid molecular NAAT test?   Walgreens [similar to CVS] offers this as well as the PCR test which has too long a turn-around.  

CVS - which we have used in the past - appears to be limiting rapid antigen tests.  Here in Las Vegas, advance appointments are only opening up 24 hours before and at only selected locations.  PCR testing is plentiful.

8 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Does anyone know if Cunard will accept a rapid molecular NAAT test? 

Searching the Cunard website for NAAT returns this list of acceptable tests for US departures. So, I'd say yes (6th bullet).

NAAT tests include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction.
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real-time PCR.
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR).
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test.
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test.
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test.
  • Isothermal amplification.
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR).
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR).

On 4/21/2022 at 6:00 PM, frankp01 said:

OK, just off the phone with CVS. They do still provide a test result sheet for rapid Antigen tests. My results from December are attached, and I'm told they still do the same. The reason the website says 'Not accepted for travel' is because, for international travel, a rapid antigen test is, in fact, generally not accepted. But, if Cunard accepts rapid antigen, which this is, I don't see it being a problem.

CVS Rapid Antigen Test Results.jpg

Great -- Thank you!