Weather and dress, July 31-Aug 7

OttawaJohn

Hi everyone

We're on the Eclipse the week of July 31st out of Vancouver and are a bit confused on what to wear.

It seems it will be cool enough that shorts on ship may be ok but could be chilly.  But what about on excursions?  Would we need a heavier jacket or would a lighter, spring one do?

Thanks in advance!

You want a weather forecast over 2 months in advance?

If you read around the board and the many discussion, you will see weather in Alaska is quite variable. It can be sunny, foggy, pouring rain and sunny again, all in a few hours.

The very common recommendation is layering your clothing, with the outer layer being wind and water proof.

Fleece is your friend when you layer.  It is a great time of the year to shop for end of season deals on a fleece vest and fleece jacket.  

Fleece will help keep you warn and help keep water away from your skin.  For your cruise, you should be focused on how to stay dry rather than the cold.

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Fleece is your friend when you layer.  It is a great time of the year to shop for end of season deals on a fleece vest and fleece jacket.  

Fleece will help keep you warn and help keep water away from your skin.  For your cruise, you should be focused on how to stay dry rather than the cold.

Or how to stay cool. We sailed once in May and it was so hot in Alaska (as in Anchorage 80 degrees +) that I had to buy some short sleeve tee shirts. It was warmer by 20 degrees than San Diego. Living in Colorado has me well prepared- the weather can change radically  within hours. 

1 minute ago, 5waldos said:

Living in Colorado has me well prepared- the weather can change radically  within hours. 

So true!  I was in Ketchikan is past September (and of course it was wet) and while walking around I saw a young woman from the ship wearing a sweatshirt, leggings and flip-flops.  She looked miserable.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

So true!  I was in Ketchikan is past September (and of course it was wet) and while walking around I saw a young woman from the ship wearing a sweatshirt, leggings and flip-flops.  She looked miserable.

Funny- I am sure that we have encountered rain on our travels but I can't remember any. And we have traveled a lot- nice that memory remembers the good stuff and edits out the unpleasant days with rain. 

In all our Alaska cruises I don’t recall any day warm enough to wear shorts in port. We had a really warm day in Glacier Bay once where shorts were the choice of the day but that was the only time. For us typical port clothes are comfortable jeans, good walking/hiking shoes, base of a thin turtleneck or long sleeved shirt and a warm water resistant pullover. We also wear hats and gloves if needed but can easily stow them in our backpack. Pullover can come off and tied around waist if it gets too warm. We also carry disposable rain ponchos in case of a real downpour. Umbrellas are not practical. It’s pretty easy to manage if you just take the basics and layer. And carry bug spray in case you encounter mosquitoes. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the helpful responses.  The variance is a challenge I agree.  Our last cruise, when we docked in Victoria, it was warm enough... till we did a whale watching excursion and froze out faces lol

• 2 weeks later...

I will be heading to Alaska (inner passage) in mid-August with my family. Layering and ponchos are easy enough, but what about foot gear?  We plan to go hiking at pretty much every port so we need good shoes, but if our shoes get completely soaked we will have problems.  Do we go with our regular hiking apparel (sneakers or hiking boots), hiking type sandals (with socks in case it is cold), something else?

As a bonus question, we will of course have cameras with us, are there good waterproof containers for them or should we just use plastic bags?

On 4/26/2022 at 9:45 AM, jlederma said:

I will be heading to Alaska (inner passage) in mid-August with my family. Layering and ponchos are easy enough, but what about foot gear?  We plan to go hiking at pretty much every port so we need good shoes, but if our shoes get completely soaked we will have problems.  

We have Merrell low hikers that are Gortex.  Price 4 years ago about $99.  Bought for Alaska cruise and have used in light snow too.  Very comfortable.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned fleece being your friend.........I also want to say "Layering can be a really good friend"😃  As for shoes, everyone is different....I don't do hiking but I want warm feet. I bring a sneaker/athletic type shoe for daytime.

• Like 1

I was tempted to answer 'variable' and 'optionable' to the ithread title but ...: 😀

We live in similar latitudes and are on the coast and subject to polar maritime winds off the North Sea, and they can be bitter!

Layering is good.

I also have a very lightweight balaclava which is indispensable to keep my face warm.

I have Meindle footwear. It is Goretex lined and they are a slightly wider fit so you can wear thicker socks in comfort. Not cheap but the best for me by far.

I've done a couple of trips in early August...

Temperatures will be tropical on your port days.  Temperatures will be very cool on wet and your glacier viewing days with ice chilled winds.