Question Re: Handicap Accessible Cabins on Symphony

dex08

We're taking my mobility challenged 80 year old mother on SoTS in a few weeks. She's booked in a handicap cabin and we're in an adjoining cabin. It's her first cruise and she's so excited!

Having sailed on RCCL several times, my husband and I know that the cabins are pitch dark at night, however we aren't sure about handicap cabins. Do they have night lights in the handicap cabins? Or any other special lighting? 

1 minute ago, dex08 said:

We're taking my mobility challenged 80 year old mother on SoTS in a few weeks. She's booked in a handicap cabin and we're in an adjoining cabin. It's her first cruise and she's so excited!

Having sailed on RCCL several times, my husband and I know that the cabins are pitch dark at night, however we aren't sure about handicap cabins. Do they have night lights in the handicap cabins? Or any other special lighting? 

Go to the Dollar store and get a package of battery operated tea candles or tap lights. 

• Like 1

I was just in the accessible cabin on that ship. No, they do not have night lights in the cabin.  I usually kept the bathroom light on which gives more light in the cabin.  There is always a very low light in the bathroom at night if you don't turn on the full light. 

I don't think a tea light from $Tree would be sufficient light in the main cabin.  The cabin is quite large.

38 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

I was just in the accessible cabin on that ship. No, they do not have night lights in the cabin.  I usually kept the bathroom light on which gives more light in the cabin.  There is always a very low light in the bathroom at night if you don't turn on the full light. 

I don't think a tea light from $Tree would be sufficient light in the main cabin.  The cabin is quite large.

That always on light in bathroom is quite bright in my opinion. Almost annoying. Actually it is annoying.

Plus the blue light on the switch puts out an eery glow if the door is closed

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies. I wasn't sure if leaving the bathroom light on would be bright enough for her, but we will plan to bring a few nightlights or a small camping light/lantern for her to leave on just in case!

52 minutes ago, dex08 said:

Thanks so much for the replies. I wasn't sure if leaving the bathroom light on would be bright enough for her, but we will plan to bring a few nightlights or a small camping light/lantern for her to leave on just in case!

If you leave bath light on and door open it will be very bright. Way to bright for most to sleep

Just leave light on in bathroom and close the bathroom door, there is an opening under the bathroom door that leaves  enough light on in cabin to light your way to the bathroom.

It's not pitch black like you would think.

Edited by Jimbo

There is gap between the bottom of the bathroom door and the floor of the bathroom.  There is a light that is always on in the bathroom which emits through this gap.  Alternatively she could always use the lights next to the bed as someone else mentioned.  Just show her where the switches are.