Is this possible?!

klfhngr

Q  Also, wine tasting in Naples or tour of Pompei?

A Ask yourself how often in your lifetime you would have the opportunity to taste a bottle of Italian wine, then ask yourself  how often you would have the opportunity to visit Pompeii.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How long is your port day in Naples?  There is a winery (actually, there are several) quite near to Pompei, with a decent length port day you could visit both if you use a car service.  The winery isn't accessible using public transit.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

First:  are you familiar with any of the wines in the region around Naples?  Would you know it if you tasted it?  I only know about Greco di Tufo, a white.  Unless you are getting involved in a fine wine tasting and buying to take home, I'd ditch the wine tasting.  

I'm a little torn between Florence, Pisa and Lucca.  I'm going back to Florence for 5 days in July.  I've done maybe an hour in Pisa (friends just HAD to climb the tower) and a nice afternoon in Lucca.  There's still things I want to do in Florence, and if I still have a day that I'm not doing much, back up to Lucca to get more of the churches there.   There is soooo much to do in Florence that you could easily get overwhelmed with what to do.  Into art?  Pick either the Ufizzi or the Accademia - no time for both.  Walk over Ponte Vecchio and look at all the display windows with the same gold jewelry.  Hit up one of the gelaterias.  Do a wine wall crawl.  Pet the bronze boar at the Mercato Nuovo.  Wander through the San Lorenzo market and then into the Mercato Centrale.  Take a look at the cathedral and baptistry.   In Lucca, walk or bike on the ramparts.  Peek at the roman amphitheater,  eat some pastries...

You gotta research and decide which you really have to do.  We can only suggest.

• Like 1

Pisa is often maligned but there's a lot to see and do there, if you're interested.  The opera del duomo museum was a lot more interesting than I expected it to be, and it was almost completely empty.  The baptistry is well worth a stop as well.

Opera della Primaziale Pisana: sito ufficiale – Opera del Duomo Museum (opapisa.it)

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

The wines around Naples are definitely not memorable.  Particularly the ones you will get a "wine tasting."  For the most part they are "everyday" wines. There are a lot of wonderful places to see out of Naples. Pompei is amazing. Don't miss it. 

For your Livorno stop you have two excellent recommendations. Either just Florence or Pisa and Lucca. Either is good. Don't shortchange Florence by going to Pisa in the little time you have.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Although the Naples region may have some nice wines they are not very famous for wine. If you want to do a wine tasting better do it in Tuscany out of Livorno. We once had a tour out of Livorno with a wine tasting and then Lucca. You could add Pisa on the way back easily.

steamboats

• Like 1