Noordam "J" inside cabins

M5M

42 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We did a TA in K10021 on the Zuiderdam. While there were no storms, we felt no motion (and DH does have history of Mal de Mer). We risked it based on how much time we spent in the Crows Nest anyway!

One thing about the K-inside, that seems to be true of every cabin below a suite on the Vista ships, is a dearth of drawers: small ones in the nightstands and large ones under the beds. I obtained and bought collapsible shallow boxes (sold as drawer organizers) and used them on the closet shelves.

Just watched a video tour of Noordam which walked right past K10021 and you’d think there’d be issues with the exterior fire door being right there? Did you experience that?

I’m not particularly prone to seasickness either, but most of my prior cabins have been amidship and about halfway up. I have always insured that I had enough Bonine in me (at least 24hrs before flight-time heading down to the port) to where it’s in my system well before boarding the ship. 

35 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just watched a video tour of Noordam which walked right past K10021 and you’d think there’d be issues with the exterior fire door being right there? Did you experience that?

Well, it's not just a "fire door" but general access to the deck. Oh you mean "fire" as in being a heavy door? Yes, and it shuts loudly, I have read some complaints but didn't notice it after maybe the first day! And we spent some time each evening in the cabin as my husband was still working and needed (to try) to log in to the computer... before StarLink was a glimmer!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Well, it's not just a "fire door" but general access to the deck. Oh you mean "fire" as in being a heavy door? Yes, and it shuts loudly, I have read some complaints but didn't notice it after maybe the first day! And we spent some time each evening in the cabin as my husband was still working and needed (to try) to log in to the computer... before StarLink was a glimmer!

Will have to give that part of it some thought. I’m sure, especially with an Inside Passage cruise, there would be lots of foot traffic heading from the Observation Deck towards the Crow’s Nest and visa versa, but maybe not so much at night when it’s cold outside? I do rather like the idea of being just steps from the great outdoors with the sky above me and surrounded on all sides by scenery. 

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Will have to give that part of it some thought. I’m sure, especially with an Inside Passage cruise, there would be lots of foot traffic heading from the Observation Deck towards the Crow’s Nest and visa versa, but maybe not so much at night when it’s cold outside? I do rather like the idea of being just steps from the great outdoors with the sky above me and surrounded on all sides by scenery. 

I think you have it there. The door-slamming noise is concentrated on times when you are up and about yourself.

Let me tell you a secret: Insides 10021 and 10024 have a Window! to be sure a window with no view (over the top of the Lido Pool roof), but you get natural light and can check the weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I think you have it there. The door-slamming noise is concentrated on times when you are up and about yourself.

Let me tell you a secret: Insides 10021 and 10024 have a Window! to be sure a window with no view (over the top of the Lido Pool roof), but you get natural light and can check the weather.

I agree that the door sound is not loud or frequent.  The door is heavy and can’t be banged shut. On busy glacier days we had trouble with people leaving it cracked open letting in a draft.   It is infrequently used except on scenic cruising days.  I think most of the sports people come up from the back of the ship at the steps on 9, it just seems that way.  I was quite surprised that you hear nothing from the crow’s nest. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! 😳 Went back and looked at the video and sure enough there’s a window with curtains!!! 🤯 I never would’ve guessed in a million years. 🥰 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I agree that the door sound is not loud or frequent.  The door is heavy and can’t be banged shut. On busy glacier days we had trouble with people leaving it cracked open letting in a draft.   It is infrequently used except on scenic cruising days.  I think most of the sports people come up from the back of the ship at the steps on 9, it just seems that way.  I was quite surprised that you hear nothing from the crow’s nest. 

Great information! Thank you! 😁

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Just found a YouTube video of 10021 including a view out the window! Looks wonderful. 🥰

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just found a YouTube video of 10021 including a view out the window! Looks wonderful. 🥰

I visited my neighbor who had that room in January.   It is a nifty room and quite spacious as all of the Ks are, not quite as spacious as Js but the real estate location is wonderful.  I love quirky rooms.  Other fascinating rooms are the high forward OV cabins on the Pinnacle ships 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I visited my neighbor who had that room in January.   It is a nifty room and quite spacious as all of the Ks are, not quite as spacious as Js but the real estate location is wonderful.  I love quirky rooms.  Other fascinating rooms are the high forward OV cabins on the Pinnacle ships 

Even more excited! It’s going to kill me to have to wait two entire years. 🤣

38 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Even more excited! It’s going to kill me to have to wait two entire years. 🤣

Two years!  You are an advanced planner, for sure.   I haven’t read the whole thread but if no one has suggested there are two websites worth clicking about, both done by avid HAL cruisers.  They contain photos, menus, floor plans and more 

halfacts.com

and

https://rogerjett-photography.com

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Two years!  You are an advanced planner, for sure.   I haven’t read the whole thread but if no one has suggested there are two websites worth clicking about, both done by avid HAL cruisers.  They contain photos, menus, floor plans and more 

halfacts.com

and

https://rogerjett-photography.com

My big cruise is April 2025 -  32nts on Norwegian Jade from Tampa through the Panama Canal to Whittier, AK and then the 7-night Southbound from there to Vancouver. However, when I accidentally stumbled across the ‘Great Bear Rainforest’ itinerary on FB there was no doubt that I had to do this. 

And thank you for the links, my last cruise with Holland-America was in August 2003 so it’s been a while lol. After that cruise (which was also Alaska), I bounced around a lot between Cunard, Carnival, Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean. Quite the variety! 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:26 PM, crystalspin said:

We did a TA in K10021 on the Zuiderdam. 

That is my favorite cabin on the Vistas! We were in K10021 on the Zuiderdam for the 2023 GWV and the 12 day holiday cruise before it. That was 140 days straight. The only drawbacks were 1) lack of drawer space, as you mentioned, and 2) if it’s a foggy night, the foghorn blasts directly into your room and even the walls vibrate. It’s like sleeping inside a drum in a marching band. Otherwise, we both loved it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Well that’s sort of terrifying! 😳 @Mary229 @crystalspin 

This is another one I wouldn’t be bothered by,  I grew up directly next to the Mississippi River and close to the fog horn, to me it is a lullaby. It is funny how we all have different experiences that is what Cruise Critic is excellent to uncover all of the issues 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

This is another one I wouldn’t be bothered by,  I grew up directly next to the Mississippi River and close to the fog horn, to me it is a lullaby. It is funny how we all have different experiences that is what Cruise Critic is excellent to uncover all of the issues 

You would think that after having spent 10 years at sea in the Navy I’d be used to fog horns now and then. Been a while since I’ve heard one on a cruise ship, the last time were the horns on Royal Princess playing ‘The Love Boat’ theme. 🤣

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

DH and I both worked on ships until we retired, in fact, we met on the job. Foghorns are not a big deal, and normally we don’t even notice them. But the foghorn on the Vistas directs right into the back wall and roof of that last strip of cabins on deck 10 and turns them into amplifiers. The cabin and the bed actually vibrate when it goes. Luckily, there were only two foggy nights in the 140 day stretch we were on, and just a few hours each time. It was a small price to pay for an otherwise great location.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 11:21 PM, crystalspin said:

We enjoyed the window on the "secret insides" and thought the location was great - easy access to Crow's Nest and the Lido. 

The doors was occasionally roped off during really windy days.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 7:44 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

One more question, if I may. Any issues with the Oak Room, and cigarette smoke wafting into the hallways? 🤔

I spent 48 days on the Noordam this past fall.

There's no smoking in the Oak Room.

I was in room 1043. I did have issues with a smell of diesel smoke which came and went. I had guest services in my room multiple times. The issue was never resolved. I came home with bad bronchitis which took weeks to get over.

I never heard noise from above. There was no BB Kings.

The vast majority of people came up the elevators to get to the Crow's Nest, not along the corridor.

I agree with the PCC who thought the chances of being moved to be about 5%. There will probably be very very few families or groups of 4 on a long cruise in late April/early May. 

• Thanks 1

To add to my post above - Shore excursions met in the theater and then all trooped past my door on deck 1 starboard.  It never really bothered me, unless I was trying to leave my cabin. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...