Inside Cabins from those that been in a Balcony before.

bigrednole

We've cruised many times with insides and also balconies.  Since we rarely use the balconies, we only book them when we can get a great price.  The only advantage to me is that I can tell when it's day or night.  When I am in an inside, we don't get natural light.  We do bring a back-lit battery operated clock and set it on the shelf.  That helps, because I often wake up during the night.

We would probably booked OV cabins if they weren't on the lower decks.  We like the lido deck, or the deck  just above or below it.

22 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I don't understand the comments about darkness and sleeping. Are you talking about daytime naps? At night, the blinds/drapes on the balcony door and windows can be closed for full darkness. 

No problem. I am referencing the total darkness with no visible light. No drapes to pull just a button and the lights are off. An afternoon nap is also refreshing in the inside cabin. When we did sail in a balcony cabin we never really utilized the outside so it was a waste of money for us. 

People have different preferences. At least we all prefer Carnival.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We won't do inside.  We are not, sleep then go out people.  I love sitting on the balcony reading.  Best time of the cruise.  No interest in but maybe 1 game of trivia the entire cruise and not a fan of the pool.  Living in S Florida, a pool is not a draw for us - lol

• Like 1

Every room has benefits.  Been in them all from inside to suites.  Just depends on our mood and length of the cruise for the most part.

If we are doing a short cruise an inside is fine - and we love the dark cave for sleeping and napping mid-day.  Also choose these if we are doing what we call our "down and dirty" trips where it is usually a last minute, get away as cheap as we can trip.

If we are doing longer cruises, we like to have at least an OV so we can have a couch for sitting on throughout the cruise (always sitting/laying in bad starts to bother the back after a few days).

If we are in a splurging mode, we will go Suite - I love having a jacuzzi tub to soak in.

Our favorite room though I think is the 6K Grand Scenic Ocean Views.  Great price for a Great room with a Great view.

We have booked insides, balconies and oceanviews.  Our thoughts:

Balconies are obviously our favorites, but sometime being more than double the price of the O/V and inside cabins isn't worth it.

Inside- the price is great, but we won't book a true inside again for two reasons.  1) Hearing the mechanical bowels of the ship drove me crazy.  I felt like I was connected to a tool shop, rather than the ocean.  2) Having absolutely no natural light made me disoriented and we slept in, waking up groggy every morning. 

Oceanview- This is our sweet spot.  They can be had for barely more than insides, but have natural light and are on the outside of the ship, far from the mechanical stuff.

Notes- several "inside" cabins really aren't.  Most ships have specialty obstructed view or porthole rooms that go for an inside rate that still meet what we consider "Oceanview" room standards. 

Couple recent cruises were booked as inside cabins for crazy low prices. Both times I was upsold to a balcony for about $100 more.

Just booked another crazy low price but this time I chose a 4K interior to have some natural light incase the upsell offers are drying up.

We have sailed mostly in Balcony cabins or suites.

We decided to save some $ on one cruise and book an inside.  We were out of our mind claustrophobic by day 2 of a 10 day cruise, never agian.

IF the cruise lines (we have sailed on HAL, RC. Celebrity and Carnival) did something about chair hogs so you could find an empty deck lounger after 8:00am it might not have been as bad.  We usually get room service coffee and enjoy that on the balcony as we wake up, we sorely missed that with an inside cabin.

We have friends who swear by insides and won't sail any other way.

As with most things YMMV, if you do not use the balcony when you book that category it doesn't make much sense to pay for it.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:25 AM, bigrednole said:

We have been on 2 cruises now: one on Magic and one on NCL Breakaway. The balcony is decent, but not something we really used. We are more of the types that sleep and shower in the room then out doing "stuff". As for a balcony, we can just go to a deck and experience it anyway. For those that have cruised in an Interior cabin and balcony in the past is there anything that you missed with a balcony?

I had always booked interior cabins (usually on a guarantee) when I was younger and single (i.e. broke! lol). But when my now-husband and I took our first cruise, I upgraded us to a balcony as a surprise when I got an unexpected bonus at work. I haven't booked anything but a balcony since! We don't spend a ton of time in our cabin either, but we both like to sit out there late at night after a busy day enjoying a pre-bedtime beverage and unwinding. We also love to watch us arrive/depart ports. It's also nice for just a quiet spot to read during a busy sea day. Even as we started to cruise with our young daughter, we kept getting balconies as we could hang out there while she napped or after going to bed at night. And with the cabins being pretty small, it's nice to have that extra room to spread out a bit. I can't see myself ever going back to an interior...maybe an oceanview sometime...but definitely not an interior. I need to see the outside! 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 11:23 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

At the end of the cruise, my wife and I figured we spent maybe 30-45 minutes out on the balcony. Total, for the entire 6 days.

Zoinks!  We spend more than that just on embarkation day as we check out the cabin and relax/unpack!

My wife and I like to enjoy coffee on the balcony every morning for about an hour, and another hour at night as we finish out night caps and maybe fall asleep for a bit.  Plus a bit of time during the day while we change or whatever.  So we really get good use out of our balconies.

We tried an interior once (to save significant $$ because we were also taking a parent booked in another cabin) - we missed the balcony.  Another time we booked a scenic ocean view (those big floor-to-ceiling side-to-side windows forward cabins) on Elation - great view, but missed the opportunity to sit outside with morning/evening beverages.

So we will (probably) always book balconies. 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2022 at 6:48 PM, cruizergal70 said:

I don't understand the comments about darkness and sleeping. Are you talking about daytime naps? At night, the blinds/drapes on the balcony door and windows can be closed for full darkness. 

If I roll up a towel and cover the slit under the cabin door, there is complete darkness in an interior room.  With Ocean View or Balcony, wife and I always experience some light seeping in at night no matter how we adjust the curtain.  Doesn't matter if there is no moon, complete cloud cover, whatever, there is always some illumination.

I could care less.  But the wife, she notices.

We were offered an upgrade to a balcony on our first cruise and took it.  We haven't sailed on anything else since.  I loved the balcony for a lot of the reasons others have posted, as a spot to have coffee, an evening drink, a quiet place to read, arrival/departures from ports. 

This time was our first time cruising with our child (7yo) and it was also our first cove balcony.  I did not like the cove.  I still spent some time out there but did not enjoy it like I have in the past.  I am not sure if it is because of the cove balcony, or just the way we cruise has changed (especially with a child). 

We booked another cruise for February and had an offer where we could book a cove balcony, a balcony they pick (PVP said only cove balcony's were open so I'm guessing I'd get one but might be a possibility of getting another one) or an OV in family harbour.  We booked the OV in family harbour.  So I guess we shall see. 

A lot of people are in the camp of, "once you go balcony, you never go back." My in laws are in this camp. Having now sailed in all categories, we stick with interiors and ocean views unless the balcony rate is just really, really close to OV rooms and then we might consider stepping up.

The couple of balconies we have had, we didn't use all that much other than for reading and morning coffee.

23 hours ago, wemjam said:

Every room has benefits.  Been in them all from inside to suites.  Just depends on our mood and length of the cruise for the most part.

If we are doing a short cruise an inside is fine - and we love the dark cave for sleeping and napping mid-day.  Also choose these if we are doing what we call our "down and dirty" trips where it is usually a last minute, get away as cheap as we can trip.

If we are doing longer cruises, we like to have at least an OV so we can have a couch for sitting on throughout the cruise (always sitting/laying in bad starts to bother the back after a few days).

If we are in a splurging mode, we will go Suite - I love having a jacuzzi tub to soak in.

Our favorite room though I think is the 6K Grand Scenic Ocean Views.  Great price for a Great room with a Great view.

We were fortunate enough to get one of those on our last Carnival cruise.  Loved it!

I have had interiors, outsides and balconies and they all have their good and bad.  I typically book inside because I can travel more often if I book cheaper rates.  We just traveled in a balcony room on the Panorama on 4/2-49 and it was a godsend since the ship was FULL.  It was nice to have a quiet outdoor space to escape to.  But, we are happily going back to an interior room for our B2B in November, unless I get an amazing upsell that will allow us to keep the same room in the upgraded category for both sailings.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, bigrednole said:

The reason for asking the question was our experience on our last two cruises. I was glancing at prices for Summer 2023. The price difference is about $1,000 for 3 of. I know my daughter would never use the balcony. I couldn't care less for it. My wife can just go to another deck to find a spot to assist. I am looking at $2k vs $3k for a cruise.

We prefer balconies, but would never pay $1000 more for one.  We don't use it enough to justify that much extra.  Unless its around $200 or less of an upcharge, we go with interior rooms.  We enjoy how dark it is in the interior rooms also.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, scoobysnacks70 said:

Why not just compromise and get an OV or Int w/porthole?

For me and the reason for the question, was cost vs having a balcony. After 2 cruises, I would say combined we spent maybe 6 hours on the balcony. I would guess half of that was just because it was there. Trying to justify whether having it or not. It also may come down to cruising less for a balcony or enjoying more cruises with interior. Obviously, if there is a small difference in cost, it is easier to move up to one.

• Like 3

We base cabin type by itinerary. If we are doing Caribbean or any warm weather cruise we try to book a balcony.  However if it's Alaska, Canada, etc. on any time for a cold weather cruise  we really don't think a balcony is needed as it can be cold in the cabin from the outside temp.  Bottom line, if you like to hang out away from the crowds then you would like a balcony but don't expect a large, spacious area....only if booking very top tier cabins are they considered spacious/comfortable.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:25 AM, bigrednole said:

We have been on 2 cruises now: one on Magic and one on NCL Breakaway. The balcony is decent, but not something we really used. We are more of the types that sleep and shower in the room then out doing "stuff". As for a balcony, we can just go to a deck and experience it anyway. For those that have cruised in an Interior cabin and balcony in the past is there anything that you missed with a balcony?

Balcony and not being  so dark is about all I really missed. Did like the extra room in a balcony (NCL specific) Some say "you can't go back" Well you can. Went from a Haven Aft suit on NCL  Joy, to an inside on Carnival Paradise. It wasn't a big deal. Enjoyed both cruises.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, silversneakers said:

We base cabin type by itinerary. If we are doing Caribbean or any warm weather cruise we try to book a balcony.  However if it's Alaska, Canada, etc. on any time for a cold weather cruise  we really don't think a balcony is needed as it can be cold in the cabin from the outside temp.  Bottom line, if you like to hang out away from the crowds then you would like a balcony but don't expect a large, spacious area....only if booking very top tier cabins are they considered spacious/comfortable.

now see I always thought that a balcony was a “must” in an Alaskan cruise. 

(I’ve never done one I just thought the prevailing thought it go for the balcony if you can) 

21 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

now see I always thought that a balcony was a “must” in an Alaskan cruise. 

(I’ve never done one I just thought the prevailing thought it go for the balcony if you can) 

There is never a "must" when it comes to Alaska.  Alaska is to big.  And a inside cabin forces you to leave it more often.  For me it is always the price and what I can afford at the time.✌️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we book early and can get a great deal we get the Balcony.  Or with early saver move up with upgrades on price drops.  As other mention we not in our rooms to justify it.  But it is nice to have the balcony.

Once exception is the Alaska cruise.  The Balcony is a must for us.

• Like 1

This is always a debate for me. I've always booked balcony. I actually use my balcony. In the morning, I like to sit out and look at the sunrise. It's my peaceful time. I know some people don't bother but I love waking up and pulling the curtain and seeing the calm waters. However, there is significant savings in the interior room. I definitely want to try to it to see if I will like it. I just don't know if I want to be in a dark room with no windows. Usually the ocean view room and balcony room price difference isn't that much so for me it's just not worth getting an ocean view. If I ever see an itinerary with a significant and I mean a "can't refuse" type of deal on an inside room, I'll book it just to see what it's like and see if I can enjoy it. 

• Like 1

After 25+ cruises, we booked our first inside cabin for New Years Eve ‘21.

It was a great deal because of the start-up, and we wanted to see if we would like it.

It was tiny for sure, but it was cozy.

I had fewer decisions to make about where to put things. 
It was exquisitely dark, which made for great sleep.

We were in a Spa interior so we had spa perks and it was a short hike to the Serenity Deck.

We decided we would book another spa interior, and did so for this summer.

IMHO I would take a spa interior over a Cove balcony because those Cove balconies are so far from the action, usually on deck 2 or 3.   Lots of the other typical balconies don’t have much room, just a few feet of balcony space, and that isn’t worth it to me.  If I can get an aft balcony,  especially a corner aft, that’s my 1st choice.  But inside cabins on upper decks, especially in the spa section, are fine for us.  It all depends on what we have budgeted for each cruise. 

We don't really like inside cabins, too dark and makes me claustrophobic. We like the daylight and being able to check the weather, sky, ocean while still in our cabin. Plus we were stranded for several days at sea without power, the ability to open the balcony and get some air flow saved us from having to sleep on deck. Haven't even considered an Inside Cabin after that.