Airline info to go on a Carnival cruise

tallyho8

I don't know a better forum to post this under but since it is to go on a Carnival cruise I will post it here.

We are senior citizens, used to traveling to different ports for cruising, but usually only on 2 to 4 hour flights. We want to cruise more in Europe which requires much longer flights for us. My wife has experienced panic attacks after about 4 hours on a flight if we are not sitting next to each other with no one else in the row with us. 

This is no problem if we are able to book a flight on an airline with only 2 seats in the row such as the smaller narrow body jets that have 2 seats on each side or the wide body jets with a 2-4-2 or 2-5-2 seating arrangement.  She is unable to sit in a row with a stranger and myself even if I give her the window or aisle seat and sit in the middle. 

We have also heard stories of where a person booked 2 seats to prevent someone from sitting next to them and been forced to give up that seat on an overbooked flight.  It takes us hours to look for flights on planes that have 2 seats in a row instead of 3 seats in a row from different destinations to Europe and we were wondering if anyone knows a quicker way to look up flights that have this 2 seat configuration.

Since many airlines are now cancelling flights after we have booked them, we are able to get refunds on the flights but since we have the cruise booked already, we must have the more expensive insurance that will allow us to cancel for no reason in case we have to get a flight with 3 seats in a row.

Any information you may be able to give us to deal with these problems will make me eternally grateful.

While our reason isn't as pressing as yours, we do the same thing for long flights - preferentially select airlines with 2-4-2 seating, or book a third seat for the two of us.  For us, it is simply a matter of comfort, as my other half is broad even at optimal weight.  We only book with airlines who specifically allow larger customers to book an extra seat, but I can only imagine that your situation would qualify for the same or better accommodation.  We always pay for specific seats for all three tickets, pay the call center fee if appropriate... You may not have to pay additionally given that it is a mental health limitation.  I'm not sure if documentation would be required. 

Additional insurance is definitely recommended, as operational changes may force you to miss your scheduled flight if, for instance, an equipment downgrade scrambles seating assignments.  In this case, I'd definitely recommend having medical documentation - I'm not sure that even a cancel-for-any-reason rider would help you on the way home otherwise.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, tallyho8 said:

I don't know a better forum to post this under but since it is to go on a Carnival cruise I will post it here...

Howdy @tallyho8 emo22.gif

Your thread has been moved to the Cruise Air forum where it will be on topic.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in future replies. That way you will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on your Followed threads because they will all come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

My first thought is to look at flying an airline with premium economy, or even splurge for business class. While the latter might be out of reach price-wise, premium economy should be within reach, and the section is more likely to have 2 seats on either side rather than 3.

2 hours ago, Twickenham said:

My first thought is to look at flying an airline with premium economy, or even splurge for business class. While the latter might be out of reach price-wise, premium economy should be within reach, and the section is more likely to have 2 seats on either side rather than 3.

Agree. Business class is a very simple, but of course, more expensive option. The only negative would be 1-1-1 seating, which is becoming more popular. 

Just note that "Cancel for any Reason" insurance will not return all your money.  You only get a percentage back, could be as low as 50% depending on the policy and you must cancel within a set time before your trip is scheduled to begin, usually 24 hours.  Not being able to sit in a row with a stranger, even if you are next to her sounds severe and unpleasant.  Has she considered therapy?

Also, if you paid for that third seat, it's yours.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1