From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

Because there could be mane days between flight boarding and embarkation day.

Our cruise is on Wednesday, but we leave on Friday so, under that rules we could take PCR test on Tuesday, 8 days before the embarkation.

The best approach is the company to provide the test on embarkation day. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, laurieb said:

It’s never been a part of their pricing!  You didn’t pay for a test when you bought your cruise.  Good grief 

We can agree to disagree.

If it wasn't part of the pricing, why has it just become chargeable? On the cruise I've booked, there is no legal requirement to have a negative test result. It's the CL that are imposing that requirement. Obviously the text is removed now from the website, but it most definitely stated testing was free of charge. AKA included in price.

If they want to charge for it, it should only be for future bookings, not ones already made.

• Like 3

Hi,

for me cost is not the main point.

If consistent testing increases the safety regarding health i‘m willing to pay a fee. But then it has to be made consistent, obligatory, standardised and organised by the cruise line. Not this many different tests at different timeframes, which are up to now still unclear, which are next to useless.

Or testing doesen‘t increase the safety and it should be dropped. Isn‘t vaccination incl. booster enough? In most countries it is considered enough.

A bit of topic, but in Germany it is allowed for the cruise line to increase the base fare by 8% in case of special situations. E.g. the much increased energy prices would justify such an addon. Any idea why this didn‘t happen so far?

cherrs 

MouseBerry

• Like 5

8 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Why doesn't Azamara use the pre-embarkation testing requirement that Viking lists on their website--that is, a test within 72 or 24 of getting on the plane!!!  So civilized.

"Viking requires all guests to take a pre-departure COVID-19 test. For your convenience, Viking offers two ways of testing prior to departure; for either, you must travel with an electronic or printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test result.

Guests may take a COVID-19 PCR test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country OR

Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country.  

Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result."

This seems like a very nice compromise. It will make it less stressful for people arriving a few days early to their cruise. Eliminating the testing requirement is best, but I’d be happy if this was the revised policy for our June trip.

It will also allow improve planning for the cruise line and help improve revenue. These last minute no shows are expensive for all involved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Why doesn't Azamara use the pre-embarkation testing requirement that Viking lists on their website--that is, a test within 72 or 24 of getting on the plane!!!  So civilized.

"Viking requires all guests to take a pre-departure COVID-19 test. For your convenience, Viking offers two ways of testing prior to departure; for either, you must travel with an electronic or printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test result.

Guests may take a COVID-19 PCR test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country OR

Guests may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first international flight from your home country.  

Select at-home tests will meet Viking’s travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result."

This would definitely be more appropriate. We will have the possibility to test at home before our flights and we will all be in the same position. Anyhow whit this measure of not having the test on the day of embarkation the ships will not sail anymore Covid free. So what is the point of creating additional stress to some of us?

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

Wayback Machine of 19/11/21 shows "complimentary testing." https://web.archive.org/web/20211119000730/https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

Surely , if the goalposts have been moved since booking there could be a breach of the original contract made when booking?

With regard to previous posters asking about using OBC and the responses. Has anyone actually confirmed with Azamara that OBC cannot be used to pay for testing before boarding?

If 3rd party providers is the response, surely when OBC is used to book shore excursions the same applies? i.e. OBC can be used for excursions contracted to 3rd parties by Azamara 

• Like 3

I don't want to do my first Azamara trip with Viking envy!  But Viking's flexible approach about pre-embarkation testing does make the logistics easier for passengers.  Most people are going to get themselves tested before leaving home anyway, required or not, because who wants to be flying off on any trip if covid-positive?  
From a public health/preventive standpoint, I'd feel "safer" on a ship that required pre-embarkation testing for everyone right before boarding... but then I'd also feel better about continuing mask requirements for indoor spaces!  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

From a public health/preventive standpoint, I'd feel "safer" on a ship that required pre-embarkation testing for everyone right before boarding... but then I'd also feel better about continuing mask requirements for indoor spaces!  

Couldn't agree more, especially regarding pre-embarkation testing.  Would pay for that if required rather than see it eliminated.  Having to pass that test on the dock is incentive for people to be very careful traveling to the embarkation port.  Bottom line, however, is why not do everything possible to minimize the chance of having infected people board the ship?

• Like 12

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

This would definitely be more appropriate. We will have the possibility to test at home before our flights and we will all be in the same position. Anyhow whit this measure of not having the test on the day of embarkation the ships will not sail anymore Covid free. So what is the point of creating additional stress to some of us?

Ivi

There has never been a  guarantee that any ship could ever sail covid free.  It  can take 3-5 days after exposure to covid before a test shows up positive.  For example if you fly on  an   aircraft  or two with 300  + passengers all  crammed onboard,  have a  negative covid test at home then again at the pier, who is to say that you have not been exposed to covid during your travels.    That  pier side negative test is not a   guarantee that the ship would be  sailing  100% covid free. The pier side test may pick up one or two positives but there may be several people exposed during their travels but with not yet having enough viral load circulating their system to show the test as positive.   Everyone would have had to have worn a FFP Respirator  continuously for 5 days before and whilst travelling /hotel stays before you get to the ship to guarantee you step on board the cruise ship covid free. Obviously that would be an impossible ask.

We are in a much better place now than we were 2 years ago, that was an horrendous time worldwide as everyone is aware.   I worked amongst it in hospital and it was very scary.  Thankfully we now  have vaccines and treatments available.  Everyone who travels/cruises sails has to be vaccinated and  hopefully boostered - we   must now learn to live with covid as it is here to stay, just like influenza is. 

Lets hope that in the near future all this testing will stop.  Various airlines and countries have stopped it already  (and the mask policy too) I choose to travel on airlines who have dropped the testing policy even though I may be at risk of exposure to covid in doing so. I travel because  I do not want Covid to rule my life.  If and when the cruise lines do drop testing  the decision to sail would be a choice you would have to make, just like the majority of people sailing on Azamara  make the decision to get on an aircraft to get to the ship.  When at home you choose to go to the supermarket, restaurant,  theatre or go to work the risk of catching covid is there too  wherever you go.   I for one will certainly continue cruising as well as going about  and enjoying my  day to day living.

I cannot believe that this topic has caused so much angst  just by Azamara dropping the complimentary testing.  It isn't just Azamara but other cruise lines have done the same  too.   You do not have to take the expensive $59 tests at the pier - there are  many other options available it just might mean a little more inconvenience than it would have been for you having the complimentary one.  Taking out a good COVID/CRUISE worldwide travel insurance is a good safety blanket which I am so thankful for.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, suttonrunner said:

There has never been a  guarantee that any ship could ever sail covid free.  It  can take 3-5 days after exposure to covid before a test shows up positive.  For example if you fly on  an   aircraft  or two with 300  + passengers all  crammed onboard,  have a  negative covid test at home then again at the pier, who is to say that you have not been exposed to covid during your travels.    That  pier side negative test is not a   guarantee that the ship would be  sailing  100% covid free. The pier side test may pick up one or two positives but there may be several people exposed during their travels but with not yet having enough viral load circulating their system to show the test as positive.   Everyone would have had to have worn a FFP Respirator  continuously for 5 days before and whilst travelling /hotel stays before you get to the ship to guarantee you step on board the cruise ship covid free. Obviously that would be an impossible ask.

We are in a much better place now than we were 2 years ago, that was an horrendous time worldwide as everyone is aware.   I worked amongst it in hospital and it was very scary.  Thankfully we now  have vaccines and treatments available.  Everyone who travels/cruises sails has to be vaccinated and  hopefully boostered - we   must now learn to live with covid as it is here to stay, just like influenza is. 

Lets hope that in the near future all this testing will stop.  Various airlines and countries have stopped it already  (and the mask policy too) I choose to travel on airlines who have dropped the testing policy even though I may be at risk of exposure to covid in doing so. I travel because  I do not want Covid to rule my life.  If and when the cruise lines do drop testing  the decision to sail would be a choice you would have to make, just like the majority of people sailing on Azamara  make the decision to get on an aircraft to get to the ship.  When at home you choose to go to the supermarket, restaurant,  theatre or go to work the risk of catching covid is there too  wherever you go.   I for one will certainly continue cruising as well as going about  and enjoying my  day to day living.

I cannot believe that this topic has caused so much angst  just by Azamara dropping the complimentary testing.  It isn't just Azamara but other cruise lines have done the same  too.   You do not have to take the expensive $59 tests at the pier - there are  many other options available it just might mean a little more inconvenience than it would have been for you having the complimentary one.  Taking out a good COVID/CRUISE worldwide travel insurance is a good safety blanket which I am so thankful for.

Thanks for your thoughts. You seem to be OK with the change because you are flying on the same day or one day before?
Again this does not have anything to do with having to live with COVID or having or not a travel insurance. I can not believe why some posters do not think that a change in the terms of booking conditions on a short notice is a problem. 
Well…I guess everyone is just looking at their own circumstances. For some, like you, the change is Ok because it takes away your risk of testing positive at boarding time with all the implications. It does not mean that you cannot be positive though. For many like me, the anxiety remains and besides that it creates an additional risk of having passengers that have been infected after the 72 hours. This brings the risk of COVID much closer to the cruise as it would be if everyone would test on the terminal.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 5

Travelberlin

I believe you are correct.  If all cruisers are not tested at the dock, it makes little sense to have any testing requirement.  No protocol can guarantee that all aboard will be Covid free, but testing all at the dock will be as good as you can get.

Although we can easily afford the new charge for testing at the dock, it is wrong for Azamara to remove anything that was included when we paid for the cruise.  That change should only be for those who have not yet made final payment.

Jay

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, annapolitan369 said:

Travelberlin

I believe you are correct.  If all cruisers are not tested at the dock, it makes little sense to have any testing requirement.  No protocol can guarantee that all aboard will be Covid free, but testing all at the dock will be as good as you can get.

Although we can easily afford the new charge for testing at the dock, it is wrong for Azamara to remove anything that was included when we paid for the cruise.  That change should only be for those who have not yet made final payment.

Jay

It is pointless testing all at the dock  you need to take the incubation period into account.  It would be interesting to see how many positive covid you would get testing day 3 and day 5 of the cruise - I am sure there would be a lot more positives than at the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

It is pointless testing all at the dock  you need to take the incubation period into account.  It would be interesting to see how many positive covid you would get testing day 3 and day 5 of the cruise - I am sure there would be a lot more positives than at the cruise terminal.

Viking test daily, it really spoils the cruise.  I hope you are not advocating that

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

Viking test daily, it really spoils the cruise.  I hope you are not advocating that

No I am not  at all  advocating that - it was in response to some members saying they would feel safer if 'everyone' was tested pre boarding  at the pier- but even doing that would not pick out  all the positive cases.  I cannot wait for the  time when they stop with all this testing altogether. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

No I am not  at all  advocating that - it was in response to some members saying they would feel safer if 'everyone' was tested pre boarding  at the pier- but even doing that would not pick out  all the positive cases.  I cannot wait for the  time when they stop with all this testing altogether. 

There is no way to be 100% sure that no Covid gets on the ship.  It's all about minimizing the chance.  It makes no sense to do nothing because you can't be 100% sure.  Testing at the dock reduces the odds.  I like that.  Yes, it will be nice when there's no longer a need to test.  We aren't there yet.  And wishful thinking won't get us there.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

By now some cruisers have already embarked on an Azamara ship under the policy that guests should bring their own test results. Can you please share your experiences made at embarkation?

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

By now some cruisers have already embarked on an Azamara ship under the policy that guests should bring their own test results. Can you please share your experiences made at embarkation?

Ivi

We are currently on board Onward, we took a LFT 1 day before boarding with Chronomics which is a home test that you upload a picture of the cassette showing your result into their system. They then send you back the result onto your account showing date and time of the result which you can print out. We showed this at check in at Monaco who noted down the negative result and date taken. Provided this was the day before all was fine and we were allowed to board. The test did not have to be proctored.   Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Azamarajunkie said:

We are currently on board Onward, we took a LFT 1 day before boarding with Chronomics which is a home test that you upload a picture of the cassette showing your result into their system. They then send you back the result onto your account showing date and time of the result which you can print out. We showed this at check in at Monaco who noted down the negative result and date taken. Provided this was the day before all was fine and we were allowed to board. The test did not have to be proctored.   Hope this helps. 

We used a self test too with Express Tests the day before boarding. We uploaded a photo of the result and they emailed a certificate which was accepted at Monaco. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Onasunnyafternoon said:

Could I please ask if anyone found the test result on your phone was accepted ie no print out was needed? Thanks! 

Check in staff were from the port handling company not Azamara, ours seemed more interested in the vaccination certificate and hardly checked the test certificate. However it could be very different in other port locations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Has anyone tried to check in with a covid recovery certificate?  We might have clear tests when we next board but will still be in the recovery stages

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:38 PM, uktog said:

I couldn't disagree more. A quick gob in a tube took less than 30 seconds and meant Viking were on top of potential infections by minimising further mixing of positive cases.

I know you mentioned before that you said you were told to wait hours for the first test result. As mentioned previously, that was wrong. You were free to go once done, but would quickly have been hauled in if there was any bad news.

I felt safer knowing they were testing and it had zero negatives for me on an enjoyment level.

3 minutes ago, les37b said:

I couldn't disagree more. A quick gob in a tube took less than 30 seconds and meant Viking were on top of potential infections by minimising further mixing of positive cases.

I know you mentioned before that you said you were told to wait hours for the first test result. As mentioned previously, that was wrong. You were free to go once done, but would quickly have been hauled in if there was any bad news.

I felt safer knowing they were testing and it had zero negatives for me on an enjoyment level.

You are confusing two events.  

On boarding, at the time we cruised, there was a test, which we found difficult to do.  You could not leave your room until you had the results of that test and corridors were being monitored.  That took an average of five hours to arrive

Then daily before you drink anything in the morning, again you had to provide a test.  Again we found that difficult to do.  Yes we were free to leave our room every morning immediately after that test.  And it did spoil our cruise.  Not the actual test, difficult though it was but being tested daily you were always on edge, had you picked anything up... was today your last day before sent to quarantine.  That view was held by many of the cruisers we met with and is now even more regularly reported on a viking page on the book of faces.

Within 10 days we did both a viking and an azamara cruise one with daily testing the other without.  Both had the same levels of required mask wearing.  I felt too difference in how safe I felt between the two trips.

I believe, as is the case at home, learning to live with covid has to be the way forward

• Like 3